Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > What Camera Should I Buy?

Old Jan 23, 2006, 6:43 PM   #1
Ono

I'm buying them a digital camera to go with their new computer, but I have no idea what to go for. Budget is about £150 to £200 (no more), but I'd like to get a mem card for that as well, and preferably a carry case and whatever other accessories they might need.

They take a lot of photos where ever they go, and they're always going on holiday. So something good at outdoor landscapes / buildings / wildlife that kind of thing and also family snapshots.

What I'm specifically looking for is something with big clear LCD screen and an easy interface.i.e. Nothing too fiddly. (My own compact has a very small 4-way menu button which I find fine, but my parents have trouble using).

Any suggestions?

Thanks in advance...
Ono is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Jan 25, 2006, 4:45 PM   #2

Hi,

I'm fairly new to this forum too, and been hunting for a digital camera for myself.

I happened to spotin town today that Jessops are doing thePanasonic LZ1 at £130 which has a reasonably large LCD, although not the largest, but has a nice 38 - 222mm zoom if they like that facility (although it's not wide angle), and comes with IS which is great with telephoto shots. Can't help thinking that at £130 that's a lot of camera, although I believe Steve's review mentions that above ISO 100 it's a bit noisy. Depends how bothered they would be by that - for holiday pics it might be ok?! Couldn't comment on the user interface - the buttons seem fiddly on a lot of these smaller cameras.

Just realised that with my other posts I sound like an advert for Jessops. To any site monitor, I'm not, honest! It's just that since Dixons have dropped cameras more or less there are very few other high street stores out there in the UK that one can go into just to get your hands on the cameras!!
Wibblemore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 26, 2006, 1:36 PM   #3

The Fuji A-345 and A-350 are surely worth consideration. They are easy to use, inexpensive, and quite dependable.

MT
mtclimber is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 27, 2006, 6:18 AM   #4

mtclimber wrote:
Quote:
The Fuji A-345 and A-350 are surely worth consideration. They are easy to use, inexpensive, and quite dependable.

MT
Do I sense one of my suggestions from another thread being used by you MT? :-)
tennisforums is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 27, 2006, 6:51 AM   #5

A couple of thoughts. I'm over 50 so I suffer from longsightedness which affects just about everyone over 40.

I have found that having an optical viewfinder as well as the screen a real benefit. To see the screen I need my glasses to take a shot through the viewfinder I can see well enough without. For the same reason a control dial for the common seetings is much better than a menu system which requires the screen to make any changes.

Ken

Nagasaki is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 27, 2006, 11:38 AM   #6

No, tennisforums-

The suggestion of the Fuji A-345 and A-350 is a fact that I relayed in my posts on this forum last November, and then again in December. I agree that yours was a good idea as well. Cheers!

MT

mtclimber is offline   Reply With Quote