Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > What Camera Should I Buy?

Old Jan 23, 2006, 11:55 PM   #1

Professional Scrapbooker seeks:

~at least 5 megapixels. I will do some enlarging and serious cropping.

~low noise...shooting at low ISO's is what I'll do most

~quick time between shutter release andshutter movement

~good in low light - this is KEY

~decent optical zoom, yet still good wide angle

~good macro

~image stabilization

~good memory system and cards that are reasonably priced

~good with different conditions (action, fireworks, portrait, etc... a good range)

I just need something I can throw in my purse yet still getquality shots since these will end up in magazines (well... they won't if the pictures aren't excellent)

I don't need video capabilites so it doesn't matter if the camera doesn't have that or those features aren't up to par. I'm just trying to get the best for my money for what I'll actually use the camera for.

I hope to keepmy purchase (with accessories) under $400 if possible. I'm ready to buy it this week before I head out of town to a trade show so any adviceon brick-and-mortars to buy fromis helpful too.After spending a bunch of time searching, thought I'd ask you here and get some great advice. Thanks in advance!
ScrapKat is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Jan 24, 2006, 12:05 AM   #2

Oh, and I don't know if this will make a difference in your advice, but I'll be using PSE for photo editing, so I'm not too concerned with the software that comes with the camera.
Old Jan 24, 2006, 12:51 AM   #3

The only camera I know of with more than 3X optical zoom, stabilization and wide angle that is small is the Panasonic LX1. But it is noisy. The Panasonic FZ5 isn't as noisy but it is probably too large for your purse and doesn't have a wide angle.

If you don't need manual controls and 3X optical would suffice you might look at the Sony T1. It has both stabilization and decent noise at ISO400. That combination makes it a great little low light camera. Memory Stick Pro isn't that much pricier than SD if you compare apples to apples and look only at fast cards. You can put cheap SD cards in a camera but it usually slows your cycle times. The T9 doesn't have a true wide angle though.

slipe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 24, 2006, 12:59 AM   #4

Thank you!

Of all the thingsI mentioned, wide angle is pretty low on the priority list...
Old Jan 24, 2006, 1:40 AM   #5

Image stab.. why do you want this specifically?.. Unless you're zooming at high amounts or have shakes, I think most cameras are built for reg use.

You should look at the Canon A610 .. It's a really high rated camera, and from your list meets requirements.. It's not SUPER compact.. but small enough to thow in purse. I think it's the perfect camera for catching 'tough to catch' moments.. ie: back row of audiences, low agle shots, etc.. IF you wanted to up the mp.. you could bump to the A620.. but I doubt you'd need it.

It's good with my experience in low light. SD cards are some of the best out there.. With the Digic II processor.. you get some wicked speed.
vwmom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 24, 2006, 1:57 AM   #6

LOL about the shakes. No, I guess that doesn't sound like a critical feature now that I've read your comments. And thank you for taking the time! I'm really anxious to get the opinions of the people here!
Old Jan 24, 2006, 2:02 AM   #7

Quote:
I think it's the perfect camera for catching 'tough to catch' moments.. ie: back row of audiences, low agle shots, etc..
Forgot to ad... this is because of the Rotating / flip LCD screen.. a feature I hope continues into other manufaturers.. It was the make it /break it descicion with me choosing Canon.
Old Jan 24, 2006, 10:06 PM   #8

Any more comments or suggestions? Please? Also wondering about stores (not online) that y'all suggest.

Thanks in advance!
Old Jan 24, 2006, 10:11 PM   #9

What country, province/ state are you in?
Old Jan 24, 2006, 10:23 PM   #10

Roseville (close to Sacramento) California, USA.