Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > What Camera Should I Buy?

Old Jan 26, 2006, 2:12 PM   #11

Yeah, I don't think the grip or the slight size difference is a big deal to me. Also, I'm not looking at this purchase necessarily as buying into the system because I'm only going to buy one additional lens. If I ever want to get a Canon, my biggest issue will be having a lot of SD cards.
Does anyone know if Canon plans on switching to SD with their DSLRs at any point?
DrDictionary1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 26, 2006, 3:25 PM   #12

One word, PRIMES! 50mm prime < $80, quality should be on par with just about anything out there.

Resolution and image quality differences do not exist, practically, between these cameras.

Useability and ergonomics will have an effect on your image quality. Not bothering to set white balanace properly or switch back to lower iso could give results 100 times worse than the differences between brands.

With cannon going out of thier way to neuter thier low-end cameras, the poor ergonomic impressions they leave, and the highest price in thier class, I'd avoid the rebel like the plauge. I really dislike the SD card in the Nikon, too, but it seems like a good enough camera otherwise. Minolta's anti-shake and MUCH more complete feature set combined with readily availible inexpensive used glass (just think, $40 f1.7 50m prime at iso1600 (or 3200!) with anti-shake... it stops motion in the DARK!), PLUS the lowest price DSLR, my decision wasnt hard. I paid $599 for my 5D KIT after rebates (B&H, they raised the price $50 since though). Its tough to decide between these three, for most people its the ancillary things that are tiebreakers. Batteries, lenses, memory cards, upgrade path to pro bodies, ergonomics... it will be different for every person. Canon really dosent compete IMO, they offer the lowest value unless you have cannon glass.
tmoreau is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 26, 2006, 5:21 PM   #13
Super Moderator

tmoreau wrote:
Quote:

With cannon going out of thier way to neuter thier low-end cameras, the poor ergonomic impressions they leave, and the highest price in thier class, I'd avoid the rebel like the plauge. I really dislike the SD card in the Nikon, too, but it seems like a good enough camera otherwise. Minolta's anti-shake and MUCH more complete feature set combined with readily availible inexpensive used glass (just think, $40 f1.7 50m prime at iso1600 (or 3200!) with anti-shake... it stops motion in the DARK!), PLUS the lowest price DSLR, my decision wasnt hard. I paid $599 for my 5D KIT after rebates (B&H, they raised the price $50 since though). Its tough to decide between these three, for most people its the ancillary things that are tiebreakers. Batteries, lenses, memory cards, upgrade path to pro bodies, ergonomics... it will be different for every person. Canon really dosent compete IMO, they offer the lowest value unless you have cannon glass.

what the heck are you talking about.. Canon does not neuter their low end dslrs.. the Rebel XT has more features than the nikon D50, i.e. mirror lock.. offers the ability to use a vertical battery grip.. has more resolution.. and is a little more responsive.. so to say they don't compete, where have you been living, if anything they are the top of this class, a bit pricier, but if you really look at the specs, then they come out on top.. its obvious you have a thing against canon, and i am not sure why, but to give out just wrong information does not help anyone..

the km 5d is a great little camera.. i think it offers more value than the d50 from nikon.. not to say the nikon is not a great camera.. but for the same price, i would like to have built in image stability and iso 3200.. after all it is the same sony sensor.. and i am not worried about km being sold to sony, i am sure sony will treat the dslr the way it should..

ok, so you threw out the catchphrase PRIME.. but unfortunately, the sharpness of the $80 primes are no better than a halfway decent zoom.. its advantages are in speed, not resolution.. if you want to talk resolution and prime as an advantage, then you really need to go with your more expensive fast primes..

a better starting kit is a nice entry dslr with a nice, versatile zoom, spend a little on it if you can.. fill your prime bag after you cover the zooms.. unless you really need the speed.. then pick up a thrifty-fifty..

-dustin
Hards80 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 26, 2006, 5:40 PM   #14

Haha, drama!
Dustin, I think tmoreau was talking about Canon's p&s cameras, thought I still can't see where he's coming from. I am a big Canon fan and currently shoot with a Powershot A80, which I love. With my lack of funds, however, I think it would be smart to spend the money I save on a telephoto zoom.

How's the focus accuracy on the KM 5D? That's my biggest issue and the reason that I am thinking of getting the D50. Also, do the 5D and the D50 actually have identical sensors?
Old Jan 26, 2006, 6:18 PM   #15
Super Moderator

sorry for the drama.. i just get annoyed when ppl express opinions as truth.. if you don't like canon, say i have a personal preference not to use canon.. do not say they cripple their cameras when they don't.. or at least haven't since the original dreb..

ANYWAYS.. i have not heard anything bad about the focus on the km 5d.. everything i have read and the brief times i have used one say that focus is quite good on this camera.. i found its color accuracy to be slightly better than the d50 as well.. very veryvery slight though.. and yes, they both use an identical sony 6.1 mp image sensor.. pictures look slightly different, due to having different image processors.. but the sensor is the same..

if you like the d50, its a great camera too.. just for me, for the same price, i prefer the image stability and iso 3200.. but the nikon system is a little more extensive.. so that weighs into it as well..

i have more experience with the rebel xt, i found it to be a great little camera.. i prefer the control layout and size of my 20d, but found the rebel xt to have very similar image quality..

-dustin
Hards80 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 26, 2006, 6:41 PM   #16

Cool stuff.
I'll probably decide within the next couple of days and I'll let you all know what I end up getting. Thanks for all the input and happy shooting!
Mike
Old Jan 26, 2006, 6:44 PM   #17

By the way, when I asked about the 5D's focus accuracy, I meant with the kit lens. Is the kit any good?
Old Jan 26, 2006, 6:48 PM   #18

If you can, try to get the cameras in your hand, check out the viewfinder, etc.

terry@softreq.com is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 26, 2006, 7:10 PM   #19
Administrator

DrDictionary1 wrote:
Quote:
Edit: Also, I am considering the KM 5D, namely for the price and IS.
That would be my choice (but, I'm biased since I have one).

JimC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 26, 2006, 7:25 PM   #20

I looked at the December 2005 issue of Popular Photography & imaging and in this issue they gave some awards to DSLR according to theyr price range. I did notice something, the reason the D50 & KM 5D keeps noise lower is that they use CCD sensor. The rebel XT 350D uses a CMOS sensor also found in higher end cameras. So this would explain how nikon n konica kept so many features and quality at low prices. Would u consider CCD n CMOS sensor a variable in ur decition for ur purchase, I noticed most high end DSLR use CMOS. I'm still deciding on the D50 or XT, love the XT's power and flexibity, but I also love the D50's build and superior flash. Maybe since KM is retiring they 5D might get to a cheap point where i'd be asinine not to pick one up. Biggest reason I'm geared towards the XT, more options, less sophmoric controls, and my boss is getting a 20D, so I could borrow his lenses, CF memory cheaper, holds a lot more. Don't get me wrong the D50 puts a lot in the table, thats why the rebel XT is not on the table. All I want quality picts, and they both deliver.
ellover009 is offline   Reply With Quote