Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > What Camera Should I Buy?

Old Jan 26, 2006, 7:51 PM   #21
Super Moderator

from all that i have read on the subject, there is not a lot of difference between a CCD anda CMOS as far as image quality goes.. there are other factors that are much more important.. so i would not let that even enter the decision equation..
Hards80 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 26, 2006, 8:04 PM   #22

Yeah, the only real difference with CCD and CMOS are power consumption and the way that they handle the analog to digital conversion. Quality's not an issue. The biggest reason that the D50 and the 5D can have such low noise is that there are less pixels on an image slightly larger than the Rebel XT's, so the area of each pixel is much larger.

Oh, and for the memory, www.newegg.com carries Sandisk Ultra II CF and SD cards for almost exactly the same price. My only issue with memory is that I don't want to invest in a bunch of memory cards that I won't be able to use ever again.

I'm pretty sure I'm gonna get the D50. I was looking at www.pbase.com for photo examples between the Rebel XT, the 5D, and the D50 and I noticed a lot less clarity from the kit lens of the 5D. Also, the Rebel XT and the D50 were pretty much identical. Plus, like I said before, the D50 is $240 cheaper on www.newegg.com than the Rebel XT, so I'm gonna use the money I save to get a 70-300mm zoom.

ellover009, if you are going to be able to use your bosses lenses, that sounds like a pretty sweet deal. Let us know what you do.
DrDictionary1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 26, 2006, 8:51 PM   #23

I have the KM 5D and love it so far. One reason I chose the KM is the availability of good but inexpensive glass. Right now I just have the kit lens and a used 70-210 f/4 (great lens for $110). The kit lens is pretty sharp if you stop it down a bit and the zoom range is more versatile than the C/N kits. It seems that the usedKM glass is usually about 25-40% cheaper than the C/N equivelant if you can find them. However I think with Sony taking over this glass may be getting harder to find, so I'm gonna snatch a few up while the prices are still low. The AntiShake is a slick feature on such a cheap camera too, and it works well.
gipper51 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 26, 2006, 9:26 PM   #24

http://www.cameralabs.com/reviews/Canon350D/page4.shtml here are some example of the power of these cameras, exellent review.
ellover009 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 26, 2006, 9:46 PM   #25

Ok, I guess it was only the original rebel, the xt doesent seem to be neutered. Remember the hacks you could do unlock the 300D allowing 10D features? I still think the XT is priced out of its class while being (very slightly) less featured than its competition. I looked at sample pictures, the rebel did excellent with test charts but there was almost no discernable different with real photographs. In fact, it sometimes wasnt the sharpest. Bottom line, real image quality is a pretty level playing field (and that continues into the much higher priced offerings too) so decisions come down to features and human/camera fit.

Of the three, minolta seemed to put forth the most complete and advanced package, while Nikon and Canon have a mid-range camera to push so it feels like thier bottom end offering lacks a bit. I dont expect everyone to see this the same way, and I'm not trying to slander the other cameras, but these differences did affect my decision some. Too hot, too cold, just right, yadda yadda.

My BIGGEST dig on the XT? Controls (and handling/appearence). I come from a minolta A1 with even more external control than even the 5d, although the way things are implemented in the 5d is very slick. With anti-shake in the body and iso3200, the 5d can do things with bright lenses in dim light that no other camera can... if that matters to you! I also got it for much cheaper than the others (though now at b&h they are the same price), I had extra batteries and CF cards, and got a few used lenses for real cheap.

tmoreau is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 26, 2006, 9:54 PM   #26

I still think that cannon offers the least value, a comment that I will retract when you can buy an XT kit for $650. Its also important to consider the whole system, not just the camera body. This is even trickier!
Old Jan 26, 2006, 10:09 PM   #27
Super Moderator

ok, i agree with that.. if you do not have any lenses.. then i will agree that the km 5d is arguably the best value (650 is a steal really!).. with integrated AS and iso 3200, it almost tempted me to invest in another dslr system, until i realized that would just be absurd.. hehe..i just hope that sony continues to offer new lenses, and continues km's relationship w/ tamron to produce the 28-75,17-35 and 11-18.. which i am sure they will..

one thing i will say in defense of the canon, and its really an indirect defense is the room to grow.. so they have the 20d/5d/1d/1ds etc to upgrade to, including 2 FF Cameras,which gives you some latitude for upward movement..

i really hope that Sony has a 9d in the works... 12-14mp FF would be nice.. as well as a replacement for the 7d with 10ish mp APS sensor?? that would strengthen the minolta mount line for sure..

Tmoreau- i may have replied a bit harshly... my bad..
Old Jan 26, 2006, 10:39 PM   #28

Quote:
i just hope that sony continues to offer new lenses, and continues km's relationship w/ tamron to produce the 28-75,17-35 and 11-18.. which i am sure they will..

one thing i will say in defense of the canon, and its really an indirect defense is the room to grow.. so they have the 20d/5d/1d/1ds etc to upgrade to, including 2 FF Cameras, which gives you some latitude for upward movement..
I've considered that, but like the D50's SD memory consideration (which bugs me), it probably isnt such a big deal. If you upgrade from the D50 you'll probably try to sell it... with its memory. Budgeting for some new CF cards when you upgrade really isnt a big deal. Similarly, if I find reason to upgrade to a $4,000 body replacing my (relatively) cheap lenses isnt a huge roadblock. Its a consideration when you ogle $1k+ minolta lenses, but they can always be sold off if I'm going to drop thousands on a pro body. If considering the upgrade into 20D territory, well thats different. But for what I do the 5D still holds its own in that class, which is not true for everyone.

I will be happy if sony puts out a good dslr to keep things going strong, but if they totally kill the minolta af mount and lens production (including third parties) drops off, used stuff will most likely increase as people transition to new cameras with other mounts. That is of course a very worst case scenario, and if things ever got that bad I WOULD sell off any high-dollar lenses before prices fell off too badly... the beginning of the end. But even worst case, thats years off, and a pretty wild speculation.

Anywhoo, a little constructive debate is always a good thing.
Old Jan 27, 2006, 6:15 PM   #29

heres something i thought off, can a 350d owner, D50 owner and a KM 5D owner post a link to theyr picture with a good picture at max resolution with no processing
ellover009 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 27, 2006, 7:13 PM   #30
Super Moderator

no point.. someones good picture is someone else's bad.. plus the different exposures and different lenses will make more ofa difference than the camera, so such an unscientific test is pretty much worthless.. to be honest..