Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > What Camera Should I Buy?

Old Jan 27, 2006, 9:04 PM   #31

If you search for a comparison between the Nikon D50 and the Rebel XT, you can find some great comparisons. Go to the link that ellover009 posted a few posts ago. That's a great place to start.
DrDictionary1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 28, 2006, 10:03 AM   #32

Concur with your (DrDictionary1) point about the link ellover009 posted (cameralabs.com) . Very good starting point.

Here's another comparison point from the Digital Photography Review site - http://www.dpreview.com/reviews/olympuse500/page19.asp Although it's a page from the Olympus E-500 review, it a good comaprison with the Canon EOS 350D and Nikon D50.

Insofar as which is the best camera? Well heck, they all take rock-solid good pictures. It's usually the photographer's eye that makes the difference between a good picture and a great picture. It's how you use the tool.

Good luck in your search, DrDictionary.

Paul in NoVA
Olympus E- 500 C- 730
http://www.flickr.com/photos/stoney_g
plg3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 28, 2006, 10:19 AM   #33

I got the D50, my friend has the rebelxt...very good quality. he did buy a new lens since the kit is kinda soft. still, We're both happy. you can't go wrong with any.

a local nikon shop here is selling their lenses this month at 30% - 50%. My friend is envious. 50mm f1.8 is only ~$25.00!!!

anyways so far, I love my D50....

here is a crop and resize. good detail eh?

Attached Images

martiniko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 28, 2006, 3:08 PM   #34

Martiniko,
hey, where do you live? I'd love to build a small collection of lenses at those prices! Haha. Anywhere near Minneapolis?

Mike
DrDictionary1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 28, 2006, 8:54 PM   #35

Thanks martiniko, I was asking for some samples because I wanted to see what the average pro-sumer can do with these cameras, some of the stuff shown on the sites are results achieved with especial equipment or done by profesional and sometimes doesen't reflect the same feeling a pro-sumer would find. I still look around, there are still some honest places, steve's site has a lotta info, so ur prob gone through the reviews here, heres a link comparing a XT and the D50
http://www.dpreview.com/reviews/nikond50/page23.asp
ellover009 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 29, 2006, 7:51 PM   #36

Owners of the rebel xt does the built quality bother u, or do u live with it fine, and is there any affortable upgrades to add rubber grip?
Old Jan 29, 2006, 9:02 PM   #37

What about the tiny LCD screen ? and 8 MP doesn't really gives a better quality photos against D50 6Mb, I held them both and th D50 feels MUCH more professional ! (but again feels).

When I invest money, quality is also a consideration and D50 wins that big time. I like the build qualityand the size of the D50 was just right, You all heard that the image quality of the D50 is Excellent and High ISO performance is great. So what a novice photographer need more then the D50 ? I am asking those questions because I still don't have the answer for that ans still trying to decide which one will be better for my needs.

The menus of the D50 are also better looking on the 2" LCD and are more user friendly. I compared them both and there are some features in the XT that are not present in the D50 but for most of us are not that important, my father is a amateur photographer with 35 years of experience on that field, he bought the D70s and he is very happy with it, for me it is just way too big, but he told me that he had a hard time to decide between the D70s and the Canon Rebel XT, but the ergonomics on the D70s was better for him, and after holding the XT, he knew that that camera is not for him and chose the D70s on the spot !. I don't want to feel a P&S feeling in my hands when I buy a DSLR camera, I want it to feel well built and feet to my hands which are not that small.

Further more the lens kit (18-55) that comes with the canon is not a very good one and if you consider buying the Canon, take into consideration that a better quality lens is almost a must, and that will cost you more, so buying the Nikon with a good lens kit or another option is to buy the Nikon D50 body only and buy a better lens will cost you the same price like the XT. By the way the lens of the XT feels like a cheap worthless plastic to me.

I think that before anyone investing money he must think of the dayafter the purchase, and take into consideration all the other accessories you must buy with the camera, like a camera bag, memory card etc. So summarizing all the cost the canon XT isn't that cheap at all and you want see any differences in image quality between them. When you print the pictures or presenting them on a computer you are not going to watch the pictures in 100% size anyway so the little edge that the canon might have doesn't really give it an extra score in real-life usage.

About DOF preview I read in many review and forums, and from what my father told me that is isn't important factor.

Never-less the quality of the photos taken with the D50 is as equal if not better then the D70s. I checked the image quality comparisons between the two cameras and I saw that the Xt pictures where indeed soft looking then the D50, But nothing that a sharpening software wouldn't solve. Some told me that most of the pro SLR cameras do that because they do less processing inside the camera and let you the ability to post process it on you computer after the picture is taken, never-less the canon rebel XT has a sharpening option inside the camera that give you the option to extra sharpen the image. So probably the reason that the D50 give you a sharper image, it's because it is probably Nikon wanted to give the first DSLR owners the ability to shoot right from the start and without extra work after that.

I will also add my opinion about the colors. I like canon colors better and think that they are more true to life, the Nikon color is a bit yellowish to my taste but only in some photos that I've took a look at.

So lets sum everything up:

What will be a better investment ?

1. Canon Rebel XT with 18-55 lens kit

2. Nikon D50 lens kit (250$ less) -or- Nikon D50 with a better lens (same price or little bit more than the XT)

For me right now, trying to convince myself even more that the D50 will be a better choice for me as a 1st DSLR photographer, and I am really wanna get my camera very soon, so i cant take great pictures and show it to you as soon as possible.

Hope that I helped, this is my opinion after reading millions of reviews and forums discussions and have seen many photos from both cameras and of course lets not forget my father's opinion.

Thank you all guys,

Regards,

Idan. :G

Idan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 29, 2006, 9:19 PM   #38

Interesting thoughts Idan, I know alot of people put Camera build and feel high on there lists. I also know alot of people put Picture Quality and for me the XT wins (when comparing both with standard Kit lenses):

http://www.steves-digicams.com/2005_...0_samples.html

audioedge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 29, 2006, 11:32 PM   #39

i checked steves pictures of both cameras, when u blow up the XT's it has a little more detail, a little bigger. If u don't like the xt's stock glass u can get a body and add a lens from another company, don't think the D50 is 250$ cheaper because u have to buy ur own software, it comes with a demo. Thinking beyond the outside build, im wondering which has better mechanics? What I mean is which one is more prone to shutter failures or electrical or software problems. The biggest one who has the better warantee service, I read someone who had a D70s had shutter failure and nikon looked the other way. Costumer service is important. I will give credit D50 woops the xt in is 1600, better build, superior flash, drawbacks no battery grip, no illuminated upper control screen, no Black/White mode, 8Mp is 8mp no matter how u cut itm and yes i know 15% difference, less manual options, have to switch from auto to manual in both lens and screen, I do seem to like human tones better on the canon, and non animate objects the color of nikon.
Old Jan 29, 2006, 11:53 PM   #40

I just saw a deal the nikon D50 with free printer at www.compusa.com for $600 with the kit lens. At that price is making me forget about *cough* rebel xt, still not sure but thats one hell of a deal, I can pick it up local store 2 towns away. Anywho leave ur comments, rebel xt owners still have a chance to convert me, post ur thoughts