Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > What Camera Should I Buy?

Old Jan 30, 2006, 5:47 AM   #41

Does anybody heard of a price drop that's coming soon ??! It is a new year and as we saw, last month many manufactures announced their new camera line including Olympous, Panasonic, Pentax ...

Any rumors ?
Idan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 30, 2006, 8:09 AM   #42

canon had triple rebates so when u get lenses and accesories u get discount n free printer, Anyone knows any good deals on the rebel xt from a reputable dealer? cheapest i seen so far is $800 with lens kit free shipping at dell with promo code, not sure if tax free. go to page 2 to read bout the D50 deal i found, post comments.
ellover009 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 30, 2006, 8:23 AM   #43

Dustin, you made me proud of my Canon Rebel XT. I have not used any other DSLR camera, but boy, I would rather stick with the Canon series.

Another thing, I have no doubt that you are very informed about cameras and photography. Kind regards.
Aumma45 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 30, 2006, 8:53 PM   #44

I went to the store, compared the xt, d50, and the sales man showed me to the 20D, we'll i'm starting to get the idea of an 20D, exept if i get it I wont be able to affort more than $120 on another lens. The 20D is an rebel xt with super grip and a nice dial command.
Old Jan 30, 2006, 9:41 PM   #45
Super Moderator

Aumma45 wrote:
Quote:
Dustin, you made me proud of my Canon Rebel XT. I have not used any other DSLR camera, but boy, I would rather stick with the Canon series.
i am glad you are enjoying it.. and your photos prove that you are putting it to good use!!
Hards80 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 30, 2006, 9:43 PM   #46
Super Moderator

ellover009 wrote:
Quote:
I went to the store, compared the xt, d50, and the sales man showed me to the 20D, we'll i'm starting to get the idea of an 20D, exept if i get it I wont be able to affort more than $120 on another lens. The 20D is an rebel xt with super grip and a nice dial command.
uh-oh, i should have told you not to handle a 20d.. once you use one, there is no going back as far as feel and controlability goes.. you can get very similar image quality though with a rebel xt, you lose iso 3200, but i rarely use it on my 20d anyways, actually i dont think i have ever used it.. the 20d isprobably the best ergonomics and layout i have ever used in a camera.. but like you say, it cuts into your lens budget quite heavily..

so many variables to consider when buying a dslr.. but the bright side is, there is really no wrong choice.. seriously, they are all great.. (ok, i am not fond of the smaller sensored olympus's but some ppl like em)..
Old Jan 30, 2006, 11:53 PM   #47

Dude that 20Dmade the xt and all other dslr look like toys, grip felt so good, I really can't do the xt anymore, i held xt it was nice, when i felt the 20D made the rebel xt feel like a overprice plastic TOY, lol. Once u go 20D u can't go back, cheapest i found was 1,199$ for the 20D with lens. Rebel Xt $799 with lens kit. Nikon D50 600$ with lens kit and free guetto printer. Going for the 20D is stretching the budget by a lot. So Hards80 (dustin) what do u think stretch the dollar a lot D20, get the XT, or the D50. I did some research, the Nikon glasses are mad expensive, at least $80 difference for same type of lens compared to canon. Wich one would have more affortable glass, or wich one at a better balance considering with nikon i have to buy my own software? I dunno if I can handle the xt again, felt so uncomfortable after the 20D, the D50 felt better to hold but the other one blew me
Old Jan 31, 2006, 2:25 PM   #48

ellover009 wrote:
Quote:
Dude that 20Dmade the xt and all other dslr look like toys, grip felt so good, I really can't do the xt anymore, i held xt it was nice, when i felt the 20D made the rebel xt feel like a overprice plastic TOY, lol. Once u go 20D u can't go back, cheapest i found was 1,199$ for the 20D with lens. Rebel Xt $799 with lens kit. Nikon D50 600$ with lens kit and free guetto printer. Going for the 20D is stretching the budget by a lot. So Hards80 (dustin) what do u think stretch the dollar a lot D20, get the XT, or the D50. I did some research, the Nikon glasses are mad expensive, at least $80 difference for same type of lens compared to canon. Wich one would have more affortable glass, or wich one at a better balance considering with nikon i have to buy my own software? I dunno if I can handle the xt again, felt so uncomfortable after the 20D, the D50 felt better to hold but the other one blew me
For me, I would go for the D50, but I want to wait to see what Canon's new DSLR is going to be. The following link has pretty much information to compare the Rebel XT and D50. http://www.digitalreview.ca/cams/Nik...T_images.shtml

lsifs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 31, 2006, 3:29 PM   #49
Super Moderator

you know.. i really can't tell you what to do, because its not mymoney.. i can only tell you that i prefer the canon system and that for me the 20d is the BEST semi-affordable dslr that i have used.. the control layout and useability in the field is unsurpassed and image quality is better than i will even use..

if you only care about images and not the control.. the XT is great.. really the image quality is not a whole lot different.. the 20d handles noise a bit better... but for most shots its not really an issue..

the nikon d50 is a capable camera, but its really not in the league of the 20d, nor is the d70/s for that matter..

if you can stretch your budget, the 20d will last you a few years longer i think.. so that may be a factor as well.. i will not get the next 20d replacement, i will wait for the one following that, so i know i will have this as my primary for at least 4 more years then i am sure i will still use it as a 2nd body..
Old Jan 31, 2006, 8:02 PM   #50

I had someone at another forum do some real life test, he owns the rebel xt and his friends owns the nikon D50, he actually got his friend to let go of it for 24hrs, heres what he posted.
------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Finally!

Sorry about the delay. Full size, uncropped images available from:

http://www.baynefamily.info/photos/.../comparison.htm

They're uploading now, it will be a few minutes more before the index file and all the images are loaded.

Nothing fancy - you'll have to get the image information from the EXIF data.

I was unable to figure out a way to get the white balance to work - the Nikon stuff was always out of whack (tint and white balance) so I set all images to the same white balance and tint in RSE, and then exported them as full quality JPEGS. No exposure compensation applied. No sharpening or noise reduction or contrast or saturation enhancements applied other than what's in the default settings for the cameras. The ONLY thing I touched was the white balance and tint, and I set those equal across all images.

Flash pictures taken with onboard flash for both cameras.

BB
and heres a link to the forum. http://www.hardforum.com/showthread....471&page=3

when i tried the nikon D50 myself at the store I wasn't too happy with the white balance either, a little odd outta the camera, the canon does a better job, yet the nikon does some colors better (less realistic). I need acurate colors, I got Photoshop CS2 so I have no problem editing pictures. Might the the Xt body n buy a nicer lens, or I'll wait till the new replacement for 20D comes, maybe then 20D will get cheaper or ill have more $$ for the 20D replacement. Do u have any info on the 20D replacement or when it might come out.