Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > What Camera Should I Buy?

Old Jan 24, 2006, 12:50 AM   #1

Alright, let me get you into perspective. Several months ago, I purchased a Canon Rebel XT. Unfortunately, before it was shipped I cancelled the order due to a lack of funds for the upcoming college year. I was totally set on the Rebel XT, even after the Nikon D50 came out. Of course, I hadn't spent almost any time with the D50. Aye, there's the rub. One of my friends at school got a D50 for Christmas and now I've spent time with it. I like both of the cameras a lot, but I don't know which to get.

My question is this: which brand do you prefer and why? Which specific body do you prefer and why?

By the way, I'm 18, a fairly advanced photographer, and like post-processing. The Canon Rebel XT will cost $889.99 with the kit lens and the Nikon D50 will cost $649.99 with the kit lens. What do you think?

Edit: Also, I am considering the KM 5D, namely for the price and IS.
Do any of you use your DOF preview buttons? How useful is it for macro shots? Thanks!

Mike
DrDictionary1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Jan 25, 2006, 3:48 AM   #2

Being an owner of a Rebel XT, and never having shot the D50... its hard for me to make too many judgements. But by looking at the specs of the camera, the use of Secure Digital memory cards on the Nikon is a downside for myself considering i use high capacity Hitachi Microdrives which are Compact Flash II, one of the two types of CF cards the Canon uses.

The camera many features seen on the D70 on the other hand as well as a few improvements over the higher end D70. But it also does lack a few features of the higher end cameras.

Personally, i would not give up my Rebel XT for either Nikon cameras. I love Canon's designs, functionality, and quality. Plus their lens and accessory selection is phenominal.

Put the rebel XT on a tripod with a high end canon 75-200mm lens and take a shot, then use the same position with even something as nice as the Canon EOS 5D, and you'll be amazed how well the XT which is 1/6 the price performs. Next time i go shooting with my Uncle who has a 1Ds Mark II and tens of thousands of $ in lenses, decades of experience in photography, i'll do this to see how they compare.
It will be interesting because his lenses bring so much out in the XT. The kit lens and inexpensive series of any lens maker just don't do the cameras justice, regardless of the manufacturer.
Andrew LB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 25, 2006, 4:22 AM   #3

Same question here. I don't know which. I can't afford to buy another set of lens within a year of my camera purchase - that's why I'm leaning towards the D50. better handling and kit lens. I don't need 8MP anyways, 3MP is okay with me. I'm just a hobbyist.

My friend bought a rebel xt and for 1 week of using it, he was very unhappy with the softness of the kit. He has the same budget constraints as me, he can't buy additional lenses within a year - so he just have to live with it.

Aside from his kit problem, the XT was very impressive, functionally and speed. Feels kinda cheap - the plastic I mean.

I'm looking to finance my purchase of the D50 anytime this week.

Regards.:?
martiniko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 25, 2006, 5:27 AM   #4

I only found the feel of the XT "cheap" when compared to the higher end Canon SLR cameras which have a magnesium body/frame which is much more solid. I've never held the D50 so i cannot compare the two in terms of feel and ergonomics.

As for price, its not much cheaper than the Rebel XT, which has much higher resolution and picture size, giving your more leeway when risking grainy photos at higher ISO speeds. storage media for the XT is also a superior format.

I will say though, the stock lens that comes with the $650 D50 kit looks decent for being a kit lens. I recommend to anyone buying an XT to get the body only and then add a different lens. The 18-55 lens on the XT kit just doesn't cut it in both speed and quality. From my experience, the same can be said for just about any kit lens.

I got a great deal on it though, its one hell of a camera for the $799 i paid for the kit. And like with any SLR.... they just get better and better with upgraded lenses.

Btw.... does the lens that come with the D50 work with higher end Nikon's? The thing I love about Canon's lenses is that they can be used on all their DSLR's so when you upgrade the body later, you don't have to replace all your glass also.
Old Jan 25, 2006, 1:14 PM   #5

I think the lens will work on the higher-end Nikons, but I guess I'm not sure.

I'm pretty sure I'm going to get the D50. Like I said, the D50 kit is $240 less than the Rebel XT kit. I've seen some amazing shots with the kit lens on the D50 and I can't really afford nice lenses.
Another thing about the resolution and noise, the difference between 6MP and 8MP is not much at all. Also, the D50's CCD is physically larger than the Rebel XT's CMOS sensor, which would explain the amazingly low-noise pictures from the D50. Plus, Amazon and Adorama have the Nikkor 70-300mm f/4-5.6D ED AF lens for only $139.99. Granted, it's not a great lens, www.pbase.com has some really great samples using it.
Old Jan 25, 2006, 2:36 PM   #6

I took this photo with the Canon 75-300mm f/4-5.6 (i think thats the numbers) and the lens was only $150. Talk about a great buy! Especially after looking at the quality of this shot i took with it.

Old Jan 25, 2006, 3:15 PM   #7

Yeah, I'm pretty sure the your lens is essentially the same quality as the Nikon. I'm really excited about it. If the price differerence were like $100, I would probably get the Rebel XT, but $240 is a lot of money.
Old Jan 25, 2006, 9:59 PM   #8

You usually get what you pay for. To each their own.

I hope you enjoy your camera. I'm sure it will serve you just fine
Old Jan 26, 2006, 1:16 AM   #9

And I totally agree with you on that one. I just doubt I'd need the 8 megapixels and lots of Canon accessories cost more than equivalent Nikon accessories. As a poor college student, budget is number one. Thanks for the input.
Mike
Old Jan 26, 2006, 12:27 PM   #10

Perhaps I can help a bit. At least I hope so. I am a professional digital camera instructor and I teach about 10,000 users each year. I do both general digital camera workshops and dSLR workshops.

Either of the Nikon D-50 or the Canon 350D/XT dSLR's will do an excellent job for you. Both Nikon and Canon offer an extensive line of lenses, with Canon offering a few more. Both cameras have received excellent reviews. Both cameras each have their ownstrong supporters. Both cameras are, at least, somewhat technically similiar. Both have a maximum ISO setting of 1600.

What does that leave you with? It leaves you with some very subjective differences. Probably the difference that is most often mentioned is the grip on the Canon XT. I hear that mentioned most often in workshops. I have the following dSLR cameras that are used and passed around in our workshops: the Canon 20D, the Canon XT, the Pentax 1st DS, the Olympus E-300 and E-500, and the Nikon D-70.

All of those dSLR cameras do a good job. All take excellent photos. Personal preferences regarding grip and handling, although quite subtle, become more of a deciding factor.

If that small difference in size between the D-50 and the XT, does not matter to you,I see no reason, not to save money, because the technical capabilities/differences between the D-50 and the XT are really minimal. As long as the Nikon lens line meets your needs, go for it.

MT

MT
mtclimber is offline   Reply With Quote