Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > What Camera Should I Buy?

Old Jan 24, 2006, 4:53 PM   #1

I have been using a Pentax Optio 33L fornearly 3 years. It has 3.2 MP and 38 - 114 zoom. I plan to keep it, butI want to upgrade to a camera with more zoom andatleast6megapixels (to be able to get high quality larger prints and related advantages of more MP). I am not sure I want to go to the super zoom and be limited on enlargements possible with 5 MP (or am I misinterpreting themax enlargement sizesince I have gotten someexcellent 9 X 12's with the current Pentax). I would like to go with at least 4X zoom, and more if possible. I like the image stabilization features I have read about. I have really enjoyed the convenience of AA rechargable batteries, but the more I read, the more I see proprietary batteries mentioned. I have entered a few photos in local shows, sold a limited number, and I like giving enlargements as gifts (evenhad a photoas Steve's photo of the day last November). Ineither need nor want to spend the money for a dSLR. Movie capability is of no interest although the camera I have offers movie with no audio which means I would not choose one camera over another if movie quality was the distinguishing feature. Does anyone have a "this would be great for you to consider comment" for me? I read Steve's and others' reviews faithfully, but your help would be appreciated. Thanks for wading through this request and for your ideas.
asburydan is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Jan 24, 2006, 5:12 PM   #2

asburydan wrote:
Quote:
I have been using a Pentax Optio 33L fornearly 3 years. It has 3.2 MP and 38 - 114 zoom.

(or am I misinterpreting themax enlargement sizesince I have gotten someexcellent 9 X 12's with the current Pentax).
Dont worry, its EVERYBODY, not just you. You have yourself already debunked this myth, and yet still worried about it!? Fuggedaboutit.

The relative differences DECREASE EXPONETIALLY when you compare higher mega pixel ratings, look at the image size (i.e. 3000x2000 pixels). The difference from 5mp to 8mp is not so great, the difference from 8mp to 12mp? Are you making posters?

Digital cameras do a great job of replacing 35mm, period. Not so good at replacing medium format.
tmoreau is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 24, 2006, 5:20 PM   #3

fuji finepix s7000

$400-450 used
bernabeu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 24, 2006, 6:02 PM   #4

Why not take a look at the very hoighly rated A-620. It meets your requirements, offers great performance, and comes at a winning price.

MT
mtclimber is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 24, 2006, 6:03 PM   #5

Sadly, there aren't too many choices between 3x zoom and 10x super zooms. The Fuji F7000 is one, but you'll have to get it used. A Fuji F5200 will give you even more zoom. Neither have Image stabilization, but do have above average ISO capabilities. The Fuji e900 will give you 9MP, good ISO abilities, and 4x zoom, but sports a 32.5-130mm range, giving only a little more zoom and a little more wide angle than what you have now, however you can crop quite a bit with it's relatively low noise 9MP shots. Something like the Kodak Z740 may be an option, sporting 10x zoom and 5MP, and has decent noise levels, and I'm not a big fan of Kodak cameras or the pictures they take. I would prefer the Fuji S5200 even though it's bulkier. Panasonic will give you image stabilization, but noise is much worse. The Canon S2 IS will also give you image stabilization, but it's noise levels are greater than all but the Panasonics. DigitalCameraInfo.com is a great place to compare non subjective camera specs such as noise levels, true resolution, and color accuracy. Out of these, I would go with the Fuji, but it may be too bulky for you.

Just FYI, 5MP can easily make beautiful prints up to about 11x14 if it has good true resolution and you use a lower ISO.
Carskick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 25, 2006, 6:20 AM   #6
E.T

asburydan wrote:
Quote:
I plan to keep it, butĀ*I want to upgrade to a camera with more zoom andĀ*atĀ*leastĀ*6Ā*megapixels (to be able to get high quality larger prints and related advantages of more MP).Ā*I am not sure I want to go to the super zoom...

I would like to go with at least 4X zoom, and more if possible.
IĀ*neither need nor want to spend the money for a dSLR.
And ultrazooms have equally unwide wide angle.

Yuo didn't say what size camera you're looking, other dozenware compact with more megapixels or more versatile all in one camera with more features and controls while keeping previous camera as easy to carry pocket camera for those photo opportunities you didn't expect.

In compact class (cameras with protruding lens aren't compacts) cameras with better zoom are rare, those few with longer zoom tend to have equally unwide wide angle. At least that Fuji E900 has better than standard wide angle.

From that larger size feature rich camera class I would suggest checking KonicaMinolta A200, mechanical 28-200mm zoom is great for general photography and it has image stabilization. Its control layout has been stripped compared to KM A2 but only to standard level of similar cameras.
From other longer zoom cameras Fuji S9000 (9500 in Europe) has proper wide angle.
E.T is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 25, 2006, 8:51 AM   #7

Even if others reply (and I hope they do) I must thank you all who have replied.Good info. I am not commited to staying with a pocket size camera so some with the dSLR look are fine with me. What about the recent K-M decision to get out of camera business and the possibility mentioned of the K-M DiMAGE A 200? Again, you all are very helpful. I bought my first camera based on Steve's comments and forum discussion.
asburydan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 25, 2006, 9:55 AM   #8

The A620 is a terrific camera and should be looked at by yourself.

I would recommend going to the store and picking them up and having a small play with them.

If you feel the need for UZ I have a FZ5 and I love it. The FZ7 (the upgrade to mine) has just been announced and it sounds very nice indeed. Obviously check out the other zooms S2 IS, FZ30, Sony H1, P850 if your wanting a UZ. Each has there merits over the other and reading Steves reviews will help.

Obviously Id stay clear of a KM at the minute if for no other reason than I can see a price drop coming for that model sometime soon. Not sure of support/guarantee issues around that camera due to the annoucement either.
audioedge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 25, 2006, 11:04 AM   #9
E.T

You know... KonicaMinolta's cameras won't exactly stop working at that moment when their camera business is officially sold/transferred to under Sony.
Also apparently Sony is taking over servicing KMs, but no matter who is handling the service and to what/whose camera the truth is that after this short, so common for electronics, warranty period is over getting almost any problem fixed costs about same as completely new camera.
(friend had such experience with Canon)

Neither I would expect noticeable general price drop, all bigger price drops tend to happen when stocks are emptied and sellers want to sell those few ones left faster to make room for other products.
Same is well visible in PC business, parts tend to retain high prices quite long after end of production unless there's major price pressure from newer products or seller wants to get rid of those last ones faster.
(actually those rare KM A2's still available haven't experienced any such price drops)

asburydan wrote:
Quote:
so some with the dSLR look are fine with me.
Those have actually one very big advantage... after using mechanical zoom you don't want to touch button zoom cameras because mechanical zoom is so much faster and more accurate.
And you won't find mechanical zoom from even half of claimed SLR-like models.(that word has been really abused by BS... PR departments)
E.T is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 25, 2006, 11:13 AM   #10

just wanted to add I did not say those cameras would stop working, but rather, if you bought a new one and 6 months down the line it did stop working - well what then? Nothing has been assured/guaranteed yet so for me, that would be an issue..

This is why I mentioned the possibility of a price drop. When Rover (UK car maker) announced it was being sold off the cost of a new Rover car in UK went down on average 35-40%. This was due to the impact of guarantees and assurances.
audioedge is offline   Reply With Quote