Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > What Camera Should I Buy?

Old Jan 25, 2006, 3:53 AM   #1

I also need a camera with IR remote and twist LCD to compose and shoot
self portrait. Konica Minolta A200 is good choice, but the zoom is not long
enough. What other options are there?

:|
KyoceraM400 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Jan 25, 2006, 4:33 AM   #2

panasonic fz30?

or

panasonic fx5?
Taraelf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 25, 2006, 6:44 AM   #3
E.T

There are only very few cameras which have IR remote.

If camera has connector for wired remote any even half electronic hobbyer can make RF remote to that (like I'm currently doing for my KM A2) after knowing inners of wired remote (there can be some resistors along switches) but then problem is that even those wired remote connectors are quite rare.

200mm is already quite enough for anything else than wild animals/birds... also remember that longer tele cameras don't have proper wide angle...
Except Fuji S9000 and Samsung 815 which doesn't have twisting LCD... neither have those Panas twisting LCD which could be folded to show from front of camera.

PS. If someone wants PCB jerry-rigged/shrinked to 9V battery/mobile use basing to this RF receiver I can provide CADCAM files (Gerber+Excellon) or layout in format used by ARES (/Proteus) when I've done it.
E.T is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 25, 2006, 7:41 AM   #4

caon s2 is?
audioedge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 25, 2006, 11:29 AM   #5
E.T

audioedge wrote:
Quote:
caon s2 is?
Surely you could first look does it even meet requirements before suggesting?
It doesn't have IR remote, not even wired.

Only other cameras which I know surely to have IR remote are Canon Powershot G-serie models and Pro 1.
Powershot G-models are standard zoom cameras and they don't have IS, Pro 1 is similar to A200 (because it was inspired by Minolta's 7/A-serie models) but neither it has IS.
Old Jan 25, 2006, 11:50 AM   #6

The Coolpix 8800 comes with a remote control has a 10x zoom, flip out display and image stabiliser. I don't know whether there is a remote control for the S2. There was one for the S1.
kassandro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 25, 2006, 1:39 PM   #7
E.T

kassandro wrote:
Quote:
The Coolpix 8800 comes with a remote control has a 10x zoom, flip out display and image stabiliser.
Zoom number doesn't mean anything solid, both 10-100mm and 100-1000mm are 10x zooms. What matters is focal lengths.
In this case Nikon kinda cheated and increased longest focal length (tele) at the expense of wide angle which is at standard level. (35-350mm)

But it definitely has IR remote, like its very wide angle but very short tele "little brother" 8400.
http://www.dpreview.com/reviews/nikoncp8800/page2.asp
Uhups... these times must be record for camera of this class, shot to shot delay is three seconds and saving JPEG takes ten seconds, good it has some buffer memory.
Also focusing speeds seems to be well below the average.
http://www.dpreview.com/reviews/nikoncp8800/page11.asp
(yack, button zoom... and 3.5 seconds for going through full zoom range)

PS. You're right that Canon S1 had optional remote control.
Old Jan 25, 2006, 3:55 PM   #8

@E.T:
Yes, the CP 8800 is a little bit slow, but not as slow as you describe it. I have the CP 8400, which except the very different lense, is the same as the CP 8800. It takes 10 seconds to save a raw file, jpeg is much faster. Also the autofocus is pretty fast, if you select single spot and hybrid autofocus. Only the 9 spot autofocus, which selects from 9 spots the one with least distance is quite slow. Finally all ultrazooms with IS start at 35 mm or 36 mm.
As far as image quality is concerned only the FZ30 can compete with the CP 8800.
kassandro is offline   Reply With Quote