Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > What Camera Should I Buy?

View Poll Results: Wich one is better choice ?
1.- Sony Cyber-shot DSC-R1 3 27.27%
2.- Panasonic Lumix DMC-FZ30 8 72.73%
Voters: 11. You may not vote on this poll

Old Jan 27, 2006, 8:11 AM   #11

You might have read the thread I started here a while ago about looking for a Sony F717 equivalent. I bought an FZ30 to replace my old beloved F717 that has problems. The photos I've taken with the Panasonic are nice (this is not a horrible camera by any means), but do not have as good quality as that old Sony. I'm not sure that there is anything out there that isn't a dSLR that would match it now. I'm still toying with the idea ofan R1 andteleconverter (I only want to go out to 200 mm), but it seems to make more sense to get a dSLR.

I seem to be getting better results by shooting raw and going down in saturation, but even so, the FZ30 just doesn't have the dynamic range or capture the detail that the F717 does (flowers and landscape photos I've taken look flat to me). From what I saw the Fuji 9000 isn't "better," - it just does things differently so it will satisfy some people better than the Panasonic will. The lens is slower than the FZ30.

Good luck with your choice!
mtngal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 27, 2006, 4:43 PM   #12

You...all so nice for helping me, a very new member....Thanks million times
AnhNamUSA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 4, 2006, 2:08 PM   #13

I just got the Olympus SLR E500, not the sony DSC-R1 because ofthe price cannot get it under 900 dollar, not the panasonic neither because lots of bad complain about noise too much...anyway I will buy the sony R1 when price go down to 700 hehe...

You can see some of my pics here :

http://www.stevesforums.com/forums/v...mp;forum_id=88
Old Mar 14, 2006, 11:13 PM   #14

mtclimber wrote:
Quote:
Instead, if these issues are more important

*10mp of resolution

* a higher quality lens than any ultra zoom can provide

* the ability to use a waist level LCD viewfinder

* photos with a quality level much higher than an ultra zoom

Then the Sony R-1 is your choice. You are going to have to set some priorities, to determine your selection, I think.

The FZ30 can be used at waist level, unlessI am missing something.
meanstreak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 14, 2006, 11:20 PM   #15

Hards80 wrote:
Quote:
but, if architecture/landcape or low light people shots are more like what you do, then the sony with its bigger sensore (less noise, smoother skies,etc) is an advantage, as is the 24mm focal length on the wide end..

I don't plan on shooting much architecture or landscape, but for those occasions I do, can't I add a convertor lens to the Panasonic?
meanstreak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 15, 2006, 1:54 AM   #16

- If you want a long zoom range, then go for the FZ30

- If you want the best picture quality a fixed lens cam can offer then go for the R1

- If you want both: Have a look at the Fuji S9000 (9500). It is not as good as the FZ30 when it comes to telephotos, has no IS and the better image quality of the R1 and its 24mm wideangle beats the S9000. Nevertheless the Fuji is the most versatile fixed lens cam. It offers a 28mm - 300mm focal length and very good image quality.

michael1973 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 15, 2006, 3:23 AM   #17

In case you hadn't noticed, this thread ended 1/27/06, with a nice follow-up from the OP on 3/4/06. If you have a question, start your own thread.

the Hun

rinniethehun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 24, 2006, 8:59 AM   #18

Latest new...so far...:-) ater using the Olympus E 500 for 2 weeks, I will return it soon...because I just order the R1 :G . I dont like changing lens is the main reason, complicated for me...especially the lens caps make me crazy......I prefer buy the sony DSC-H5 for close up or tele shot and the R1 for the regular shot...2 cameras is better than 1 camera+2 lens....my opinion...hehe :blah:...I will show you the R1 pictures soon....looking the link right here... you will know how the R1 pictures look like if were taken by an amateur like me...:|
Old Apr 23, 2006, 4:55 PM   #19

R1 Pictures :

http://www.stevesforums.com/forums/v...jump_to=514311
Old Apr 23, 2006, 6:16 PM   #20

Don't understand why anyone would go for the R1. for that price you might as well go entry level DSLR like Nikon D50 or Konica Minolta 5D. For the money you'd pay for the R1 you'd get the DSLR and 2 kit lenseswith the Nikon D50. on the other side, if you're looking to shoot vids as well, then go for the FZ30.I think I read a review somewhere where the guy said that the R1is a niche on its own (or something of the sorts). Unfortunately for the guys at Sony, I, for one, think that the R1 is so peculiar (both specs and price) that it comesshort of filling any niche, existant or not.

The math is simple: need a good p&s thenpick either Fujifilm S900 or Panny FZ30. need a real camera to take good pics then go for the D50 or the 5D. The R1 is a little bit of both worlds and it adds up tonot belonging in either.

At least, that's my view on things.
zygh is offline   Reply With Quote