Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > What Camera Should I Buy?

Old Jan 26, 2006, 7:44 AM   #1

I'm considering buying the Canon EOS 5d. I've seen prices ranging from $2600 to $3299. The site with the $2600 model got good customer reviews so it seems reputable, but the description on the camera said it was an imported model. I'm assuming it's less because it's imported. Is there any difference in quality and warranty in an imported model versus something I would buy at my local camera shop?
lmccann is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Jan 26, 2006, 11:05 AM   #2

'Grey Market' products bought in the U.S. typically will not be covered by manufacturer warranty. So, you're gambling on the fact the product will not have any manufactured defects. Also, be careful of the good ratings you see on search pricing engines. You should verify on www.resellerratings.com any online vendor. Just to check, I looked out on pricegrabber, nextag and shopping.com. The only place I saw a price of $2600 was on nextag for an operation called prestige camera. Neither of the other two sites listed that vendor as having the 5d. And a quick search on resellerrating did not turn up a hit on that vendor. THose facts, combined with their low-ball price would send me running away from this vendor. Let's face it: if it seems to good to be true, it probably is. If this is the vendor you were considering I would strongly advise against it and to go with a vendor with a more established track record.
JohnG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 26, 2006, 11:14 AM   #3

Thanks John! Prestige was one of the places that I saw the camera at a considerably lower price. I think another one was Digital Liquidators. In any event, I think I'll take your advice and go with a more well-known company. The camera is a sizable investment (at least for me anyway) and I don't want to feel like I got ripped off.
lmccann is offline   Reply With Quote