Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > What Camera Should I Buy?

Old Jan 26, 2006, 11:04 AM   #1

I am newbie looking to buy my firstp&s digicam for all-around use. I've read many posts regarding theexcellent low noise performance of the Fuji F10 at high ISO, without flash. (The other cameras I'm consideringare the Canon SD450 or SD550, which get good overall reviews.) Itseems from these posts, however,that in order to get the best quality pics with the F10, the user must make a few manual adjustments, such as exposure, etc. I'm willing to learn how to do that, but I'm betting my wifewon't. She likes things simple. My question is this:

Willshe be able to get good quality photos, particularly indoors,using the F10 on straight auto, or would one of the Canons be better for that? If there's not that much quality difference, than I would lean toward the F10 and its low-light might so we could both--happily--use the same camera. (A secondary reason to get a Canon would behaving aviewfinder for use in bright sunlight, but that's a distant second).

The xD vs. SD cards make no difference to me, by the way, nor does camera size among these models.

Thanks so much for any input that will help me make this decision!!!
4eyes is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Jan 26, 2006, 11:48 AM   #2

4eyes-

You post raises what I have found to be a rather important issue. I have used my Fuji F-10 for over a year now and I feel that the F-10 performs much better in the Manual Mode, rather than the Auto Mode. Essentially this is nothing more than you setting the ISO speed, and that is certainly not difficult at all. That will give you a better control over shutter speeds, thus preventing blurry photos.

Would it be possible for your wife to learn to make those ISO settings?

MT
mtclimber is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 26, 2006, 12:14 PM   #3

MT,

Thanks for the response.

My wifewould possibly be willing to adjust ISO IF it didn't require too many steps. Not actuallyowning the camera, I'll take your word that it's prettyeasy to do this, even for a beginner. (I've beensearching for a retailer with a working F10 so I can play around.)

Just to clarify, are you saying that by simply adjusting the ISO as needed--and leaving everything else as is--would produce decent quality pics? I'm not talking award-winning. She might occasionallyneed the camera for work as apediatric physical therapist (documenting one of the babies she treats) and the low-light w/o flash capability would be great since these pics would almost always take place indoors.

If all it takes is one simple adjustment on the F10, then it seems there would be no reason to go with one of the Canons I mentionedsince I haven't read about any areas that they actually outshine the F10 (other than having a viewfinder). By the way, I know other Canons like the 610/620 may be good peformers, but we want pocket size.

Thanks,

4eyes

Old Jan 26, 2006, 10:57 PM   #4

4eyes-

Whoa, please! Those Canon cameras only have a maximum ISO setting of 400! They are NOT going to be able to take the same photos as a Fuji F-10 using a maximumISO setting of 1600. It is just not possible, at all.

Yes, the Fuji F-10 is a pretty amazing digital camera. By making just one (the ISO adjustment) and using the M for Manual Mode, your wife should be able to, if there is sufficient ambient lighting and she has set the ISO to 1600, to take a no flash photo with the F-10, when set as described. All she has to do is to push the shutter release button half way down and it will show her the exact the aperture and shutter speed, the F-10 is going to use.

As long as the shutter speed is 1/40th second or more, she will get her photo. Because I have no knowledge of the lighting source, I cannot guarantee the white balance, but providing the white balance is set to "auto" you cannot go too far wrong. The result can always be adjusted in good software.

MT
Old Jan 27, 2006, 9:17 AM   #5

MT,

Thanks for the clarification. Seems pretty simple to me; hopefully it would to her. Just to know, if she didn't want tomake any adjustments,can the F10 still take pretty decent indoor photos on full auto mode using the flash? In other words, a straight point and shoot shot.

Also, what software would you recommend for touching up photos? Would that software work well with either the F10 or Canons?

Lastly, not to complicate things, but I saw in another post that you areconsidering a Panasonic LX-1. I know it's much more expensive than an F10, but would its image stabilization and other features offer any advantage to us beginners? I understand that IS helps reduce blurry photos, which I'm guessing is pretty common for digital newbies.It also has a 4x zoom--is that a noticable improvement over a 3x?

The other option to the LX-1 is to save my money, get an F10 now, and in a couple of years see what the new technology offers. Just wondered what you thought . . .

Thanks,

4eyes
Old Jan 27, 2006, 11:19 AM   #6

I like the Natural light mode on this P&S. Scroll down to the Cat picture.

http://www.dcresource.com/reviews/fu...ew/index.shtml
audioedge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 27, 2006, 12:11 PM   #7

Thanks, Audioedge. I can see the difference the Natural Mode makes. I wonder if that's available on the F10, as I was hoping for a smaller camera that would fit in a pants pocket.

4eyes
Old Jan 27, 2006, 12:48 PM   #8

4eyes-

I understand your concern, however, I hope that you will understand that I cannot guarantee that your wife is going to get great flash photos in the Auto Mode. There are just too many variables, not the least of which is staying within flash range.In my testing of the F-10 in the Auto Mode, which included flash photos, I have never had any problems at all. However, in fairness, I have read posts from other users, who have experienced problems, primarily the blurry photo problem caused by low shutter speeds. I like the F-10, I use it a lot, and I have great results.

Concerning the Panasonic LX-1: this is a realhobbyist camera, featuring a special format, and a high mp count. It is not your average snapshot camera at all. The LX-1 is also very prone to showing electronic noise in its photos, so most shots, realistically, have to be taken at the lowest, or near lowest ISO settings.

Audioedge also suggested looking at the Fuji E-900, which is a more expensive 9mp camera. The E-900 produces great results and has 4X optical zoom, with a maximum ISO setting of ISO 800. Here is a sample flash photo from the E-900.

MT

Attached Images

Old Jan 27, 2006, 1:05 PM   #9

Thanks, MT. Sounds like the F10 is worth a shot(The E-900 is a tad too large).

I'll look for a local retailer that will allow me to try one out for a few days or weeks and then I'll just play around. If my wife is not comfortable, or can't get good shots easily, then I can always try the Canon SD500. Itappearsthat the Fx-1 is out of my league right now.

Thanks for all your help!!

4eyes
Old Jan 27, 2006, 1:23 PM   #10

4eyes-

I thought of another camera that might be a possible candidate. You could save some money with the Sony S-600, which has ISO settings of 800 and 1000, and a very powerful flash. www.mwave.com has it at about $180.00.

MT