Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > What Camera Should I Buy?

Old Jan 26, 2006, 7:40 PM   #1

ok not new to photography on a whole just new to the more tech aspect i am sort of a free winger no real schooling just shoot what feels right and looks good but i am learning how to be more consistant in my tech

none the less days from buying my first real slr and still quite confused

i am between the 20d and the d70s most of the time i am leaning to the 20d

because of its abiltys for more low light situations vs the d70s but the nikon has alot of benfits like the colors and ease of use to change the settings when your chasing toddlers i will be photography mostly children and family photography with some photojouralism thrown for fun and then my own family which with 6 children is quite diverse in it uses anything from christmas morning maddness to soccer to brownies to kids just swimming in the pool sort of stuff as well

now my question falls less on which camera is better trust me i ahve read and read and read until i could nearly resite tech specs in my sleep some of it i havent the foggest idea of how it related to what i am doing and or want to do , so my question is about lens the nikon comes with 18-70MM F3.5-4.5G AF-S DX Lens its a nikon

the canon has a few options with differnt prices besides jsut buying the body the more expensive option is with this lens Canon 17-85mm IS USM Lens the cheaper option is with this one Quantaray 18-125 F3.5-5.6 DC AF Lens ok depending on who i ask what answer i get some say the canon lens are crap some say sigma is crap blah blahblah , ok so what is this quantaray is it any good is it worth the extra money

the body alone is running 1500 so they are adding like 200 for the quantray lens

if i got the body with the canon lens is like 1800 am i better off just getting the body and my 50mm 1.4 lens i know i want and waiting on the other lens or shouldi get one of the kit lens and if so which one?

thanks for any help
hillys6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Jan 26, 2006, 8:47 PM   #2

Lenses are really where the rubber meets the road. No matter how great the body is, the image quality will mostly depend on the lens and the photographers ability. I wouldn't dream of buying a 20d (or any DSLR for that matter) and putting a Quantary lens on it. Although the kit lenses aren't incredible (although they're not bad) they are a much better deal than any Quantaray offering.

Considering your professed experience, I would look at the D70 and getting some decent glass with the money left over. The 20d does have better speed and 3200 iso, but I think may be overkill for your needs.
rjseeney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 26, 2006, 9:12 PM   #3
Super Moderator

for your needs, the D50 from nikon, or the konica minolta 5d may be a better option.. as was previously mentioned, saving money on the body, (and you are not losing any image quality by the way) you can spend more on the lenses, which will make a much bigger difference in your images..

do please check into them.. they have the same sensor as the d70s, and arguably better image processors, (and the km 5d has anti-shake!).. and cost about 650$ for the bodies.. what a steal!!
Hards80 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 26, 2006, 9:14 PM   #4

hards-

I just got a K-M 5D body for $(US) 552.00.

MT
mtclimber is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 26, 2006, 10:21 PM   #5
Super Moderator

WOW!!

i am tempted to pick one up just for the fun of it... hehe.. i surely don't need it, but for that price, its tempting for me, even with all my canon dslr gear... hehe
Hards80 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 26, 2006, 10:31 PM   #6

If it gets any cheaper I may be getting one myself. I've got a few Minolta lenses that have grown lonely since my switch to Nikon.
rjseeney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 26, 2006, 10:33 PM   #7

i have looked at the d50 as well and read alot about and i have seen great images from it as well, the others i cant say much about the nikon and the canon are the common brands around the photographers i know and have seen their work and it is in the area which i am looking to

but really what i need help with is on the lens i was trying to find review on the quataray which i had highly suspected was not a good brand and i was having trouble finding it online to compare to just keep comming up with sites that sell it

i am not currently buying lights so i am working with all natural light which is what makes the 20d an interesting choice because there will be many days where i will need the higher iso higher than the 800 with the nikon provides if i had better lighting i would go straight for the nikon hands down the colors are perfect and the rest is pretty much exactly what i need but too many i know that use nikon in the lower light have the same common complaint about the noise and the iso

and the 20d is faster making shooting sports a bit better than the nikon at times

why do you think the d50 is better than the d70s?
Old Jan 26, 2006, 10:47 PM   #8

so what would work best along this line?