Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > What Camera Should I Buy?

Old Jan 27, 2006, 10:58 AM   #1

I am trying to decide between these two cameras. I have read plenty of reviews of both of these, but haven't talked to anyone that may have had them both or used them both. Which one do you guys like better? Is there really that much difference between the two besides the fact that the V530 is smaller? Thank you!!!!!! ( These are Kodaks of course)
cdd9243 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Jan 27, 2006, 12:34 PM   #2

I am sorry but I can only speak to one side of your camera question as an owner of a V-530. Before purchasingmy V-530 I did go to a camera shop and handle and try the Z730.

My first impression of the Z530 was how much bigger it was. It is surely not a pocket camera. However, when I went to the shopping sites, most users were please with their photos, but also made note of the camera size. Wanting a real pocket camera, I decided to get the V-530. I did look at the V-550 which does have an optical viewfinder, but because using the LCD as a viewfinder was not a big deal for me, I decided in favor of the V-530.

I have posted quite a few sample photos in the Kodak folder on this forum. Here is another sample. It is a close-up photo that shows great sharness, clarity, and color. All in all I am very pleased with the V-530.

MT
Attached Images

mtclimber is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 28, 2006, 5:58 PM   #3

Yah thank you! I had noticed the size and that is kinda what is preventing me from getting the bigger camera. Anyway that picture is really good! Thanks again
Old Jan 28, 2006, 10:22 PM   #4

Lovely picture MT
I have the Kodak z730. It too is not a pocket camera but it is small enough to put in my bag and I carry it around alot. I think it takes quite good pictures for a camera in its price range (I got it for under $200). You can see some of the pictures I've taken with it here:
http://www.picturetrail.com/gallery/...&members=1
Remember that it's not the camera that makes the photo and I'm a newbie to digital photography but at least you'll get some sense of the lens.

It's a versatile camera with manual controls. It's pictures are nice and sharp, the colors typical kodak saturated and rich. The only problem I've had with it is that it's very slow to move to the next picture after using the flash when using the LCD but it's better with the evf.
Here's one taken late afternoon. I'm a sky and cloud lover, so have a lot of them.

Attached Images

rags is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 28, 2006, 10:30 PM   #5

And here's a daylight one.
Attached Images

Old Jan 29, 2006, 11:04 AM   #6

Rags-

The photos that you have posted do indeed prove that the Z730 does take well focused and well saturated photos. However, when making my decision, size was indeed a substantial factor. Therefore, after carefully considering both digital cameras, I decided to purchase the Kodak V-530.

Here is a photo of the Kodak P-850 along side the V-530. You will notice that there is a considerable difference in size.

MT
Attached Images

Old Jan 29, 2006, 3:07 PM   #7

Mt, How does the size of the z730 compare with the v530. I went with the z730 because it was much cheaper and I was getting a second camera, but I'm curious as to the size difference. Thanks.
Rags
Old Jan 29, 2006, 3:51 PM   #8

Thanks you guys for all of your comments. I am still on the fence and I think thatprice is the main thing. I found a Z730 for $175 and the V530 for $225. Is it true that the Z730 doesn't take good night pictures? I have read that in a few other places.
Old Jan 29, 2006, 5:51 PM   #9

ccd-

I have never taken a night photo with the Z730. Perhaps, Rags can speak to that issue. Attached is a night photo that armadilloshield posted. It was taken with his V-550.

Rags,

Unfortunately, I don't own a Z730 so I cannot show you an actual, side by side photo comparison. However, I can tell you that the V-530 is MUCH smaller, and quite a good camera. Walmart carries them. Stop by and take a look.

MT
Attached Images

Old Jan 29, 2006, 7:32 PM   #10

Thanks MT. I will check it out.
Rags