Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > What Camera Should I Buy?

Old Jan 28, 2006, 10:24 AM   #1

Hi all

With all the cameras available its very hard to choose, so \i ask for your help.

Basically i'm after a good all round digicam but with the following specs as a good guide.

Price is no object.

1. Compact ? or at least small enough to carry around for quick shots.

2. Expandable Memory ie sd card etc 1gb

3. Good Macro mode, i'm interested in macro photography and realise a DSLR would be better but this is an all round camera.

4. video at 640 30fps (got baby on way, so would be useful)

5. reasonble zoom optical 3+

6. image stability if available

7. good for indoor and outdoor shots

8. possible wide and len / or can acommodate one?

9. 5mb pixel +

Perhaps I'm asking too much?
pelfed is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Jan 28, 2006, 10:39 AM   #2

pelfed-

You might want to take a look at the Canon A-610. It has received great reviews, sell for $230 to $240 and, I believe meets all your specs.

MT
mtclimber is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 28, 2006, 10:42 AM   #3

Thanks for that, i'll have a look.

I've been looking at the PANASONIC LUMIX DMC-LX1?
pelfed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 28, 2006, 1:00 PM   #4

pelfed-

The Panasonic LX-1 is an interesting hobbyist camera, but it shows a lot of noise in all images. There is more at above ISO 200, and less below, but it is there. It will require constant post processing of your images and a good familiarity with noise reduction programs such as noise ninja and neat image.

Instead you might want to look and the new and soon to be released LZ-3 and LZ-5 models.

MT
mtclimber is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 28, 2006, 3:15 PM   #5

I had the 610 before I upgraded to the larger S2.. With a baby on the way, you'll be VERY happy with the 610.. It's the PERFECT parent camera in my opinion. You can add lenses, and the growth possibility is sweet. It took good video, and the flip lcd is worth every cent of the camera.. You'll discover that quick with use.

You can do some peeking around on reviews and such.. if you have specific questions on it, or comparison to other models, I'm sure someone here can answer you.

I think the biggest thing is to try the camera out yourself too.. If you can find a store with a good return policy even better. It has to feel good in your hands, and you need to be happy with it. Before I FINALLY settled on the S2.. it went this way..

I got the Sony dsc40.. took it back.. wasnt enough camera for me. Got the sony W5.. Liked the camera and the large lcd, but it didn't feel right in my hands and I couldnt compfortably hold and shoot with one hand. I upped to the Canon A610. I used it for exactly 27 days (30 day return policy).. LOVED the camera, but I wanted more zoom withought moving up a lense.. and the size I don't mind. Iv've had it now for 2 weeks and adore it.. but it isn't a compact camera I have to say.. the body is the same in comparison to an slr.. The 610 was easier to throw in a small purse, etc.
vwmom is offline   Reply With Quote