Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > What Camera Should I Buy?

Old Jan 30, 2006, 1:48 PM   #11

If you have a price constraint, take a look at the Konica Minolta 5D, with antishake built in.

You can find some good deals on used KM lenses as well.

However, I agree with Dustin, you can't beat the Rebel XT for action in the entry level DSLR market with it's responsiveness and high ISO (low light) performance.

If you can afford it, go for the Rebel XT.

If you're out to save a few hundred, you could probably live comfortably with the KM 5D.

-- Terry

terry@softreq.com is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 30, 2006, 3:48 PM   #12

From the reviews I've read, the Nikon D50 performs better at high ISO than the Rebel XT. This would make sense because each of it's pixels are larger than the Rebel's. The D50 is also just about as responsive and is only $599.99 at www.compusa.com.
DrDictionary1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 30, 2006, 9:51 PM   #13

Hmmm,

The D50 has a CCD sensor and the Rebel has a CMOS sensor.

Are we comparing apples to apples here?

I've never really been impressed with results from a CCD in comparison to a CMOS, but I probably don't know what I'm talking about!

Anyone care to pitch in?

Terry

terry@softreq.com is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 30, 2006, 10:35 PM   #14

Well, I don't think that the CCD/CMOS battle has much to do with noise, but I could be wrong, too. They both perform very well with noise, though. That's for sure.
DrDictionary1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 12, 2006, 11:44 AM   #15

Thanks for all the feedback everyone. I will be looking into this...

Is the quality going to be good coming from an entry level shooter like me. I am really concerned about being able to capture my kids on the playing field.. My guess is it will all just come in time, but is there going to be a HUGE learning curve going from something of the Elph series to the Canon or Nikon you have recommened.
Squirre1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 12, 2006, 2:08 PM   #16

I hate to pop in again. but I wanted to mention my situation as to why the Canon S2 IS was ideal for me. It's worth a look, but yes it also is a larger camera (def not jeans pocketable..lol)

I have 2 toddlers (one to start soccer soon).

The zoom is incredible. It also takes wonderful action shots for a camera in it's price range/ feature range.

The video is AWESOME to say the least.. stereo sound compared to mono is cool too.

It's got the moveable lcd.. I've found this handy for taking 'above the head shots' at concerts, plays, etc.. with my sons.

I could go into it farther.. but won't right now.. Look into it if you want, and ask questions if you need.

You can peek through some of the pics I've taken.. I've been playing around and am still learning with it. NONE of these photos are post processed.. Some I accdently took in postcard mode, so are a bit noisey.. other than that, true from the camera photos.

http://imageevent.com/vwmom/goofinwithmys2

These were also taken with my S2 as well.. actually my first outing with it. Poor conditions.. dust, exhaust, crappy light, etc.

http://imageevent.com/vwmom/monstertruckjam2006

I've tried hard to take pics in a few different conditions.. ie:lighting, movement, etc.

There were some other of my photos in another thread.. that I can't find right now.. showing my sons and their Dad.. playing on the floor.. low light.. catching the 'still' action very well.
Attached Images

vwmom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 13, 2006, 7:31 PM   #17

If yougo with aDSLR the Rebel XT is a great action camera from canon, and very user friendly. If you aren't, the best choice would be the S2IS.
Homer J. is offline   Reply With Quote