Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > What Camera Should I Buy?

Old Jan 29, 2006, 1:47 PM   #1

Hello, I am new to this forum and fairly new to photograhpy as well.*My question is the following, and I hope somebody out there can help me:I recently saw pictures taken by my sister, who just came back from a trip, taken with her new Ricoh GR Digital. First of all: does anybody know anything about this camera.More importantly I cannot explain why I liked my sisters pictures so much because I do not have the vocabulary, but I want figure it out because I am looking for a camera to buy. So here is my take at trying to explain it:These pictures first of all showed details very well. However they were somewhat "grainy", does that make sense? They did not posess the most vivid of colours, which is why my sister was complaining. Yet I loved it that way because they looked like photos that you see in old 1970's national geographic or travel magazines (not those ugly "fake" deep colours many digitals posess). Detailed, but soft, grainy, very....full of life, but they had something comforting about them. Let me also say that these pictures were taken in New Zealand and were a mix of nature, portraits, and city pictures.I am not sure this makes sense, but if anybody can help me "decipher" all of this and help me towards choosing a camera that would be very appreciated.*Thanks!Saverio
alikes is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Jan 29, 2006, 2:41 PM   #2

Yes grainy is the right word for pictures taken with a Ricoh digicams. However, the word noise is preferred for this phenomenon and Ricoh digicams suffer badly from it even at relatively low iso. For the price of the Ricoh GR Digital you get much better wide angle cameras like the Kodak P880 or the Nikon Coolpix 8400, which I own. I also own a Ricoh Caplio GX, which is a nice camera if image quality is not the first priority.
kassandro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 29, 2006, 3:27 PM   #3

Thanks for the reply......I will look into your suggestions. I have a camera that has a "soft" option.....would that render the same type of "grainy" result?Thanks again.
Old Jan 29, 2006, 3:46 PM   #4

No, it is just the opposite. Sharpening amplifies noise while softening reduces noise. If you are not particualrily interested in wide angle you may also consider the Fuji E900 or ithe Fuji F11. Fuji is in some sense the opposite to Ricoh. Fuji achieves sharp low noise pictures even at higher iso. Look at the phantastic pics in http://www.stevesforums.com/forums/v...p;forum_id=16.
kassandro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 29, 2006, 5:41 PM   #5

thanks.....Yes I am interested in a wide angle, I just don't want overly bright , digital looking pictures. Will look up your suggestions, and thanks for the time.