Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > What Camera Should I Buy?

Old Jan 30, 2006, 11:15 AM   #1

Hi. Sony has several 7.2 MP cameras all about the same price of $300. I see a few differences in the specs and form factors, but what are the practical differences in everyday general use? Thank you.

Cybershot DSC-P200

Cybershot DSC-P200R

Cybershot DSC-W7

toomanybooks is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Feb 1, 2006, 10:38 PM   #2

toomanybooks wrote:
Quote:

Hi. Sony has several 7.2 MP cameras all about the same price of $300. I see a few differences in the specs and form factors, but what are the practical differences in everyday general use? Thank you.

Cybershot DSC-P200

Cybershot DSC-P200R

Cybershot DSC-W7

Hey wassup !!!
the P200 n P200R are the same cameras ... the diff bein the P200 has a silver body
while P200R has a reddish color body...
wen comparin the P200 wid W7 most of the features in em are also identical, major diff
being the form
other diff:-
W7 has a more powerful flash(better for indoor pics --- more room coverage)
bigger screen(2.5v/s 2inch),
uses NiMH batt as compared to proprietary ones(us$9 v/s us$60)

well these are the ones i can think of at the moment n i think these are the only diff...

Hope this helps........

aman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 2, 2006, 12:10 AM   #3

During my search, I found that overall photo quality and camera feel, the W7 would bea better choice. I returned it (the W5.. basically same camera), because I didn't like the feel of it in my hands.. The photo quality of a another make was better in my opion. Is there a reason you're only interested in the Sony cams?

You should seriously consider the Canon A620 in that price range.
vwmom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 4, 2006, 2:14 PM   #4

Thanks to you both for the advice.

Only specified Sony because we have had pretty good luck with Sony products in general. Our 2.0 megapixel Cybershot took some pretty good pics for one of that resolution, at least for me.

And Costco has the W7 for $270, which looks like a good price for a 7.2 MP camera.

Will look at the Canon you recommend. Looking to photograph works of art on paper for archival reference. Thanks again.

toomanybooks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 4, 2006, 2:49 PM   #5

I have found overall that the newer Sonys aren't with par of the older ones for some odd reasons.. The colors don't seem to be right on for me. Maybe peek around here:

http://www.pbase.com/cameras

You can search by camera on example shots from users.
vwmom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 4, 2006, 2:54 PM   #6

The Casio Z120 has the same excellent 7.1 MP CCD, has an awesome movie mode, requires only cheap NiMH batteries and costs a lot less. I just looked at some full resolution pics over in the Casio section and I'm really impressed. It is clearly the best value in the entry camera segement. Also you can use the cheaper, standard SD memory cards and are not forced into Sony's proprietary memory sticks.
kassandro is offline   Reply With Quote