Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > What Camera Should I Buy?

Old Jan 31, 2006, 11:52 PM   #11

VWWoman-

Thanks for you post. Just for the record, I currently own 62 different digital cameras, from P&S throughj the very best dSLR cameras. I have written three digital camera books, andI teach digital cameras to 10,000+ users every year.

So yes, you will indeed find me answering a lot of questions on this forum. I think it would be quite accurate to say that I have a good deal of camera experience and teaching experience that I can call upon often when replying to queries on this forum. I have been a professional for 50+ years, and I have seen a lot of photographic situations. Some, that a lot of posters on this forum will never experience.

OK, you have posted one photo. Now, may we have two more please? And we really need some typical toddler actions shots, if we could please. Sleeping children are relatively easy to photograph. Actions (photos) speak louder than words.

MT
mtclimber is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 1, 2006, 1:06 AM   #12

Are both true?

mtclimber wrote:
Quote:
...I am an owner of a Canon S-2 IS, and I sincerely believe it is a total turkey.*I am very sincerely disappointed in my Canon S-2 IS...
and in my thread on the A620 vs. P880:
Quote:
If you can give up the wide angle, the Canon S-2 IS is an excellent camera, albeit at a somewhat higher price. It has 12X (twice as much as the Kodak P-880) optical zoom, probably on of the best video capabilities among P&S cameras, and it uses AA sized batteries.
metapy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 1, 2006, 9:16 AM   #13

The answer to your question is yes, based on the application asked about in the initial questions in each thread.

My S-2 does well when its tasksare limited to very general shooting, and most folks like the S-2. I just happen to not like it very much. It has what I call, for lack of a better description, a sort of "homogenized focus." By that I mean that, at least to my eye, the photos are good, but the focus is just atad off.

Perhaps it is because I use awide rangeof cameras all the time. I am not sure. For me it is just an OK camera, and perhaps it is just the S-2 that I own. ButI don't use mineas much as I thought I would. You know the old saying: "...your mileage may vary..."

MT
Old Feb 1, 2006, 11:44 AM   #14

mtclimber wrote:
Quote:
VWWoman-

Thanks for you post. Just for the record, I currently own 62 different digital cameras, from P&S throughj the very best dSLR cameras.

MT
Good God, 62 different digital cameras??? Most of us have only ONE, and we have to decide which camera is best for our needs and budget. You obviously don't have that problem, so how can you judge someone's choice of camera when your perspective is so completely different from theirs?Not too many of us can just go and buy another camera when the whim strikes us. And if, as you say, the S2 is such a 'total turkey', how can youhave anything good to say aboutit at all, as you have on other threads?

A friend of mine has a Canon S2 IS and it's a great camera in every way, in fact, I would probably have gotten one myself if I could've afforded it. 62 different digital cameras???

PS - MT, If you want to get rid of that 'turkey', I'll be more than glad to take it off your hands. I'll even pay for shipping!
toshi43 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 1, 2006, 2:02 PM   #15

Toshi-

I will quote directly from my post: "...most folks like the S-2..."

and later I said: ...perhaps is just the S-2 that I own..."

So while I may feel differently about my own S-2, I acknowledged that most folks do indeed like their S-2 cameras. Yes, my husband and I do own a lot of cameras, but that is because we are professional lecturers on digital cameras and we have to be familiar with a wide range of cameras owned by our students.

If you look closely I tried to relay my perception of the S-2,by noting, "your mileage (that is your impression of camera performance) may vary. " I am sorry but I am not going to take you up on your offer. A good friend of mine is happily using the S-2.

MT
Old Feb 1, 2006, 3:15 PM   #16

MT - On one thread, you describe the S2 IS as an 'excellent camera', which I presume is an opinion resulting from personal experience with that camera, and inthis thread you refer to the S2 IS as a 'total turkey'. To me, that's not a description of a product I'd recommend in any way, much less lend to a friend. How you can reconcile two completely contradictory opinions like that is a mystery to me.

If you're going to recommend (or not) a camera to others with less experience than yourselves, please be as clear and unambivalent as possible. There are a lot of people here who take your opinions very seriously, myself included.

62 different digital cameras??? How on Earth do you keep track of all the owner's manuals???
toshi43 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 1, 2006, 5:05 PM   #17

The Canon S-2 was returned for repair and recalibration, Toshi. That seems to have taken care of what had been an ongoing focusing problem.

I offer my apologies to vwmom, I was attempting to relay that I had had an ongoing problem with my own S-2. I will make every effort to be very clear and concise with any comments I make in the future. I certainly was notfinding fault withher S-2, but rather attempting to share my own personal experience with the camera.

Yes,keeping track of cords, manuals, sunshades and the like can be quite challenging. But the multi-camera system works well.We did a workshopon Flash usage today and we had three cameras available to our students who had requested an opportunity you use a specific different camera. We also had bounce flashes, slave flashes, and diffusers for them to try with their own or a barrowed camera as well. Itgave our students a realhands-on experience with different cameras and different equipment. It made the workshop more meaningful for them andgave them abetter learning opportunity.

Here is a sample photo from the Kodak P-880 taken today.

MT
Attached Images

Old Feb 1, 2006, 5:09 PM   #18

There was a post similar to this.. I was asked to post some photos from my S2.. These were all taken in very low light.

Here my son is jummping up and down. ( a good example that this camera can handle action at low light)
Attached Images

vwmom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 1, 2006, 5:09 PM   #19

Boys wrestling with their Dad. (mind my legs and slippers..lol)
Attached Images

Old Feb 1, 2006, 5:10 PM   #20

A 4 yr olds pose.. This is an evening shot as well.. The only light in the room is from the tv, and aquarium and the light behind him. With flash.
Attached Images