Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > What Camera Should I Buy?

Old Jan 31, 2006, 8:38 AM   #1

I want to get into more advanced photography (I have basically been a point and shoot kind of guy) and so I had more or less decided on the S5200 based on its price (~$300), AAA battery, and its size (I have big hands, so some of the smaller cameras feel funny (Pana FZ-5 for example).

I find myself taking a lot of nature photos as well as outdoor architectural shots. I don't expect to be taking a lot of pics at parties or at family events.

But then I see the great deal on the Kodak P880 at Costco ($400) and I start thinking that this might be a better choice due to its wider angle lense.

Does anyone have experience with either of these cameras, and/or have a recomendation for something else? Basically, I am looking to spend $300 or so on the camera.
carpe_diem is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Jan 31, 2006, 8:52 AM   #3

Either camera will serve you quite well. Because there not seem to be a big desire for a lot of low light level photography, which the Fuji S-5200 could do more easily than the Kodak P-8800, let focus more on the Kodak P-880. Either camera can be used in a fully automatic mode, or you can take control and become creative.

I own, use, and like both cameras. The P-880 has a lot of real photographic tools on board, as well as a fabulous (24mm in 35mm terms) wide angle lens that lends itself quite well to architectural photos, landscapes, and nature shots. Both cameras will allow you growth photographically. However, the P-880 even more so.

All you have to do is to price the P-880 anywhere else on the internet, and then compare those prices to the deal that Costco is offering right now. Costco's is an excellent deal and it even includes a sizable SD chip as well.

MT
mtclimber is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 31, 2006, 11:20 AM   #4

Has anyone used a zoom lense on the P880? What are you results?
carpe_diem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 31, 2006, 12:00 PM   #5

Please keep in mind that the Kodak P-880 has 5.8X optical zoom. It is a very nice range, but nowhere close to the ultra zooms. The zoom is very sharp in all ranges of the zoom. The manual zooming is a much better approach versus zooming using a step motor. It is more precise and just easier to use.

I like the camera a lot and after getting over the initial learning curve, I have found the P-880 a veryeasy camera to use.Another camera you might want to take a look at is the Olympus C-8080. It is also a creative camera.

MT
Old Jan 31, 2006, 1:40 PM   #6

I've also been thinking of the kodak P880, i don't need a huge zoom, but would like know if people think that it needed an IS on it?? One of the reason i haven't settled on the P880 is because it doesn't have a IS. The sony H1 does but only 5mp.

Those that have the p880 would you of perfered to have a IS on it? or think that its fine with out it.
ArcticZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 31, 2006, 2:01 PM   #7

articZ-

I own the P-880 and like it a lot. No, I really don't feel the need for IS at all, as I primarily use it for great landscapes, architectural shots, and family use. I very rarely use it for low light level shooting which is where you would indeed need the IS.

Keep in mind that the Sony H-1 definitely does NOT have the fantastic wide angle capability that is the prime feature of the P-880

MT
Old Jan 31, 2006, 5:26 PM   #8

I just bought the P880 from Costco as well, as far as the batteries not being AA (A concern of mine as well) I ended up with two Maxell replacement batteries from buy.com for $30 w/ free shipping which is the same price as one Kodak battery.

http://www.buy.com/prod/Maxell_77025.../90139805.html
metapy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 1, 2006, 2:18 PM   #9

metapy-

Congratulations on your Kodak P-880 purchase. I think that you will like the camera a lot. The Costco promotion offered a great price, as well as a free 256mb SD chip.

Good thinking on the battery purchase as well. Enjoy the camera and post some photos too. I have found the P-880 able to capture amazing detail, even when handheld. The attached photo demonstrates that detail capture ability. It was hand held and the on-camera flash was used.

MT
Attached Images

Old Feb 1, 2006, 7:55 PM   #10

mtclimber Do you have online storage where you could post some full sized shots from your S5200 at ISO 800 and 1600?

How do you feel about the high ISO performance? Have you had a F10 or been able to compare the high ISO between the two?

slipe is offline   Reply With Quote