Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > What Camera Should I Buy?

Old Jan 31, 2006, 3:26 PM   #1

I'm looking for a new camera, so starts the deliberation. My biggest frustration is shutter lag but I'd also like to step up in the world somewhat. I had been thinking dSLR (and am still tempted) I'm just not sure I can justify why.

Right now I have a cheap Canon Powershot (18 months old) that I carry in my laptop bag for convenience. I got my wife a Fuji S5000 a while ago which we like, especially for the 10X optical zoom but both still lag. I know about the focus lock/half press but with a two year old going full speed they are rarely still in the spot where you locked the focus.

So, thinking "high end is best" I've been looking in to dSLR cameras thinking I'd get the speed I crave and lots of other features too. But am I wasting money? I've been offered a used Nikon D70 with lens in great condition for $825, I don't think it's a bargain but isn't too bad a price. I have also been offered a Canon 10D with a long lens (too long for general use)for $1,000. I think the Canon is a good deal but more camera than I need and as such not appropriate.

If I look at the D50 and Digital Rebel the prices get more reasonable, the Rebel with 8MP for less that $1,000 seems appealing, I've also heard of deals on the D50 for < $600.

Or... is there a small, pocket size, non-SLR with speeds similar to these? I feel fairly confident most of the dSLR cameras I've mentioned would do all that I want and more, but I wonder if they are just overkill.

The trials and tribulations of an indecisive wannabee photographer! Any help would be much appreciated, sorry for the jumbled brain dump!

Chris.
ukchris is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Jan 31, 2006, 3:51 PM   #2

You can approach your situation from two different directions.

(1) If you are going to purchase a dSLR camera in the near future, then you migfht as well go for it. An intermediate camera would really be somewhat a waste of money, and missed photos.

(2) Suppose there was a $200 to $300 camera that could meet your needs right now? Would that be tempting? Or, would it just be attempting to forestall your inevitable dSLR purchase. The camera I have in mind for scenario (2) is the Fuji 5200.

MT
mtclimber is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 31, 2006, 4:02 PM   #3

I think it would depend on the features of the cheaper camera. Our Fuji S5000 although a bit slow has a zoom lens we really like, a similar camera spec but faster would be very nice. I'll have a look at it and read up a little but as I think you suggest, I'm also worried a little that I'm limiting my options by going non-SLR. What I need to decide I suppose is if I will ever pursue those options as, if not, there there's little benefit in paying extra for them now of course.
Old Jan 31, 2006, 5:15 PM   #4

Chris-

I think you are clearly identifying the issues, and realisticly see the problems involved. There certainly are pro's and con's of proceeding in either direction.

MT
Old Jan 31, 2006, 5:43 PM   #5

I think, in short, if something like that Fuji is fast enough to capture a two year old expression then it is probably the right sort of camera for me. I really doubt I'll be going telephoto, wide angle, fish eye and all that. The Fuji S5000 we already have is fantastic, we love it, and if it were faster I probably wouldn't be here asking these questions now.

In your opinion would you say that the S5200 is that fast? Is it as fast or faster in focus/take than a dSLR or close enough that it doesn't make a significant difference?
Old Jan 31, 2006, 7:12 PM   #6

ukchris,

If you like your S5000, you should love the S5200. I have a S5100, and it takes great pictures, but the S5200 is a lot faster then either. Just a couple of timings for the 5000 vs. the 5200..startup time 4.1 seconds vs. 1 second, pre-focus lag 0.3 seconds vs. 0.01 seconds, and cycle time of 1.1 seconds vs. ~1.0 second. Add to that ISO 1600 capability at full resolution, a larger sensor, and you get to use your xD cards.

the Hun

rinniethehun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 31, 2006, 8:12 PM   #7

Have you considered the Canon S2 IS?.. The Digic II processor is pretty darn quick. It's a wonderful camera.. room to grow and leaves control.
vwmom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 31, 2006, 8:19 PM   #8

Chris-

I sincerely believe that the Fuji s-5200 will amaze you. Not only is the start up time greatly improved, but the shutter lag has been dramatically REDUCED so you can capture those two year old speed movements.

It is a great family camera and very worthy, indeed, of your consideration.I recommend it highly.

MT
Old Feb 2, 2006, 2:22 AM   #9

I had the S5000 and loved it, then I got the C-770 OLY and soled it, walked in to a store to buy the Fuji S9000 you must see this camera if you like the fujis ,but I ended up getting a DSLR the rebel xtfor 200$ more and I know that I will have to spend more on lenses, good luck to you............no video with DSLR's..................
ht770 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 2, 2006, 12:23 PM   #10

Just a though Chris. I have a Fuji S602 and I use the continuous mode to catch up with my kids...I use the shot I want and delete the one's I don't. Somewhere in the 5 shots you get one is worth saving!

style="BACKGROUND-COLOR: #000000"Just one bit of info that might help. I have had my Fuji 3 years, and have to say that I have already out grown it. If you make the jump...just do it an buy what you want and keep it forever. Remember, it's an investment. Good Luck.

Futbolmom
futbol mom is offline   Reply With Quote