Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > What Camera Should I Buy?

Old Jan 31, 2006, 5:04 PM   #1

Hi,

I have Sony P72 and I'm very happy with it.
Now, I have chance to give 20E more and get new Sony S60.

What do You think about it - should I do it or not ??

Thank You in advance...

p.s.: maybe a stupid question, but it is not rare case to have, after good product like P72, serial of not soo good products...
Djenka is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Jan 31, 2006, 5:31 PM   #2

I forgot - it is URGENT - I have to make decision very soon...
Old Jan 31, 2006, 5:53 PM   #3

Djenka,

I'm not sure what you hope to gain by going with the S60, and what you mean by "giving 20E more". The S60 is actually selling for less than the P72 in the States. On the plus side, you'd be getting a faster camera (startup time, lag time and cycle time), but with an extra MP on a smaller sensor, you'll probably pick up a lot more noise. The EVF is larger, but with fewer pixels, so it will probably appear 'washed out' compared to the P72. You'll lose the 3:2 aspect ratio, but gain a 2.0 USB.

If I were you, and were looking to upgrade, I'd save my money and buy a better camera than the S60.

the Hun

rinniethehun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 1, 2006, 5:37 AM   #4

First, Mr. Hun thank You on great answer !

But, I'm now more confused - please, tell me something more:
If I've understand You, P72 is slower, but give better pictures? - how much is important size of senzor and what is EVF?
Also Canon A520 have senzor with almost same size as S60 and make good pictures?
What is about movies made on S60 - are they better then movies made with P72 ?

I have chanse now (propably not later) to sell P72 for 170E (euro) and buy S60 for 190E - I think it would be easyer later to sell S60 and then to buy some even better... - what do You think about this...?

What do You think, with all + and - what Sony is better: P72 or S60.

Again, Thank You in advance...

Marko
Old Feb 1, 2006, 3:29 PM   #5

Mr. Hun or anybody else ???

I have to decide till tomorow!
Old Feb 1, 2006, 3:50 PM   #6

I'm not the hun, but I believe what he means is that:

-the LCD screen (not EVF as he called it) is larger on the S60, but with a lower resolution it's not clear that it's an improvement

-larger sensors tend to be less noisy than smaller sensors. Higher resolution tends to mean more noise than lower resolution.the S60 has higher resolution (same size sensor as the p72).Honestly, noise will probably be similar, but slightly worse on the s60.

Now the s60 will be faster in operation than your p72. aside from that, I don't know if it's really much of an upgrade.If I were you, I'd save up for a better camera, though the speed improvement might be all you want.
thebac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 1, 2006, 5:05 PM   #7

Here.. the Canon 610 runs about the same price as the S60.. If it's comparable in price maybe consider that?

I had my old 3.2mp Sony p71 for almost 3 years.. This winter I spurged and upgraded.. My good old buddy was slowing waaay down. Though she took incredible photos with little to no effort, it was time to move up. I actually traded her for an Imac G3 computer for my boys.

I went out and bought the Sony S40 (felt to 'toyish' to me).. took it back.. for the Sony W5 (didn't like the way it felt in my hands) .. took it back for the Canon A610.. Then I had the chace to bump up to the S2 (worked out to a small amount than retail of the 610).. The S2 is quite a bit bigger.. So if you still want compact, and for whatever reason consider the 610, I highly recommend it.

If it's a decision of 'upgrading' from your current camera tospecifically theS60.. The only thing you're really going to get is a faster camera.. Image quality.. Going off of my experience, you're likely going to get a better photo from your old buddy. If I were you, I'd save up more for the A610 for example if it's not plausable now.
vwmom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 1, 2006, 8:21 PM   #8

Djenka,

Now I understand where you're coming from. Yes - sell the P72 immediately for 170E, then take a little more time to research your new camera. If the deal requires you to sell the P72 and buy the S60, then go for it, because the S60 is newer and you can probably sell it easier later on.

Thanks for the correction, bac...I did mean the LCD.

the Hun

rinniethehun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 1, 2006, 9:26 PM   #9

thebac wrote:
Now the s60 will be faster in operation than your p72. aside from that, I don't know if it's really much of an upgrade.If I were you, I'd save up for a better camera, though the speed improvement might be all you want.

ill double that ... there isnt much significant diff between these 2 . i too im usin the P72 and its really good ... i probably wont remove for some time now ... but im decidin to buy another one ...

if budget permits ... try for:-

W5 (5mp) really good pics ,sturdy n lightin fast ,ya dont need to use propiertary sony NiMH batt(which they have come out for the S series-if i aint mistaken)

or canons A610 :- a brilliant cam.. 4x optical zoom, amazin picz , NiMH batt(much cheaper) full manual controls(at present ya probably wont be need em but i bet later on ya definately use em,play around wid em..)

or if ya can wait ... sony is comin out wid another digicam... DSC-S600 for juss us$200 wid 6mp,3x(wide zoom 23 - 93mm),from the specz it looks like its gota really powerful flash(almost 11mts as compared to the avg of 3-5mts-->dunno how they did this---> waitin for steves review on this)

wat i could suggest is that ya can go to the store n check these ones out and if budget permits ya could probably go for em...

exchangin a P72 for S60 aint worth it ...

rite now if ya exchange it ... there is a probablity that the price of the S60 mite fall and instead of gettin the 170E+(which ya gettin for the P72)ya would end up gettin 150E or even less .. (i hope ya understand wat i mean?) ---> it all depends on the market... ya miteend up payin more than wat ya could have..

wat i could suggest is that be4 buyin take a look at all, read reviewsn decide , dont rest on some deal...
aman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 2, 2006, 2:23 AM   #10

THANK YOU VERY MUCH FOR HELP !

(specially for Mr. Hun)
"Now I understand where you're coming from. Yes - sell the P72 immediately for 170E, then take a little more time to research your new camera. If the deal requires you to sell the P72 and buy the S60, then go for it, because the S60 is newer and you can probably sell it easier later on."

Yes, this is it - I'll do it!