Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > What Camera Should I Buy?

Old Feb 1, 2006, 5:22 AM   #1

Hi there,

I'm new to the forum and digital photography and i got a few questions. I was told by a salesman that they didn't make digital cameras that shoots Continuosly! Sounded like a bunchof crap to me but since i'm new to digital cameras i don't know for sure.I like to take photos of my kid buti always miss the moment with my old camera. If you guys know any decent cameras within the $500.00-1,500.00 range that shoot continuosly could you suggest a few? THanks

george
johan327 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Feb 2, 2006, 1:04 AM   #2

find an other store and talk to an other sales person,because alot of point and shoot do , and for 500-1500$ you could get a digital SLR like the canon Rebel xt which I have and love,read some more forms in the dslr section ,you could enjoy speed and continuose shooting for about 1000$ or less.
ht770 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 2, 2006, 3:06 AM   #3
Super Moderator

For that matter you can get the Canon 20D with 18-55mm lens for $1300 from B&H.

It shoots at 5 frames per second, and if you are shooting in JPG mode will give you about 40 shots before the buffer runs down and then will shoot at about 1 fps after that.

Just a little example of the sort of thing this makes possible...

This sequence was taken indoors without flash using the 20D and 18-55mm lens.
Attached Images

peripatetic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 2, 2006, 3:12 AM   #4
Super Moderator

You also might find this interesting...

http://www.stevesforums.com/forums/v...ight=20d+movie

peripatetic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 2, 2006, 12:51 PM   #5

I'll never recommend against a DSLR for quality and versatility. If you want top quality photos in many varied conditions they can't be equaled by the so called prosumer digital cameras with smaller sensors and a fixed lens.

But the prosumer cameras do offer some things the DSLRs can't. You can get cameras with stabilized zooms that maintain f2.8 all the way to 12X zoom or competent small cameras you can always have with you.

I think all of the Panasonic cameras have burst modes in the 3 fps range. And you can shoot bursts indefinitely every 2 seconds because the Venus engine doesn't have to buffer them. You are limited to 4 to 5 shot bursts at best quality and resolution though. Most of their cameras have true optical stabilization. They aren't the only cameras with decent burst modes, but most others require you to wait for the buffer to clear after a burst.

Panasonic makes several small cameras with stabilization and a decent burst mode. The FX9, LZ2 and LX1 might be worth a look if you want something small. Only the LX1 has manual controls and none of them have an optical viewfinder. The LX1 is especially noisy at high ISO.

The FZ5 and FZ7 are medium sized cameras with a 12X stabilized zoom. The FZ20 and FZ30 are large cameras with manual focus and hot shoes in addition to the full array of manual exposure controls all of them have.

slipe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 4, 2006, 8:53 AM   #6

In the short time, i feel i have learned about the digital camera world and i would like to say thanks! This Forum is the bomb too! After looking on the net i think i made my mind and probably gonna get a canon rebel xt. Well wish me luck and i will thanks again!

george
johan327 is offline   Reply With Quote