Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > What Camera Should I Buy?

Old Feb 1, 2006, 9:35 AM   #1

Well my Canon G1 camera got wet and died. I am looking for a replacement. I want a 5+ mega pixel camera with a 12x zoom and remote. The closes camera I have found is a Nikon 8 mega pixel camera with a 10x zoom, but it came out 2 years ago. I really don't need an 8 mega pixel camera.

I did buy me a cheep Minolta 3 mega pixel camera and found out that an 8x zoom isn't large enough for my 5x telephoto lens. And Minolta doesn't have remotes for their cameras anymore.

Keith
SilllyGhost is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Feb 1, 2006, 9:41 AM   #2
Administrator

SilllyGhost wrote:
Quote:
I did buy me a cheep Minolta 3 mega pixel camera and found out that an 8x zoom isn't large enough for my 5x telephoto lens.
Huh? You've got me confused. Do you mean that you need something that works with an add-on teleconverter lens of some type (I'm not following what you mean by "large enough for my 5x telephoto lens")

JimC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 1, 2006, 10:25 AM   #3
E.T

Yep, this one really gets my vote for most enigmatic question.

Only 3Mp Minolta with 8x zoom is Z10 which has 43mm filter thread...

But what you mean with that 5x telephoto lens? I've never heards about such converter.
(but I'm sure eBay has frauds selling such)
E.T is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 1, 2006, 11:27 PM   #4

no please, no thank you, no "how ya doing?".....

what are you using the camera for and what are the specs that you're after?
Taraelf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 3, 2006, 8:41 PM   #5

I currently have a cheap Minolta 3 mega pixel camera with an 8x optical zoom. The 8x optical zoom isn't big enough to handle the 5x telephoto lens without rounding the edges.

I would like a camera that has a big enough optical zoom to handle the 5x telephoto lens without rounding the edges. A remote would be helpful.

And being at least 5mps would give me some room to crop and still have a big enough pciture to print.

Keith

Any other question I didn't explain enough?
Old Feb 3, 2006, 8:47 PM   #6

Well the high zoom and telephoto lens is for taking pictures of wildlife that is spooks easy. (mainly whooping cranes) The remote is needed to take self portraits.

Keith

Taraelf wrote:
Quote:
no please, no thank you, no "how ya doing?".....

what are you using the camera for and what are the specs that you're after?
Old Feb 3, 2006, 8:52 PM   #7
Administrator

Yes, I'm still confused, but perhaps I'm starting to understand.

I think you're trying to tell us you want to use a 5X Teleconverter, and the thread size is not appropriate for your existing camera. What is your 5x Teleconverter lens (be specific -- model, thread size).

What do you mean by "rounding the edges". Do you mean the image looks like you're looking through a tunnel? That's referred to as vignetting.

Chances are, you're not going to find an Ultra-Zoom model that lets you use a 5x Teleconverter without vignetting, and you'd need to make sure you have the appropriate thread size and/or step up rings to mount one on a camera.

That's what was confusing to us (your use of the term Telephoto Lens). If it's an add-on lens, they are typically referred to as Teleconverters when mounted on a camera's lens via filter or lens adapter threads.

You're probably better off not using a teleconverter if at all possible. They typically degrade image quality, and I personally wouldn't suggest using anything more than a 1.4 or 1.7x teleconverter on most cameras (excluding ultra-zoom models).

JimC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 3, 2006, 10:54 PM   #8

The telephoto 5x fits the camera just fine. And it is a vignetting problem because the optical zoom isn't large enough. I can't be the only person that has tried a 5x telephoto on a digital camera.

I have even went to see if they made a wireless remote for the old 35mm cameras. I didn't find one but that doesn't mean it doesn't exists. Just a cable release or ball.
Old Feb 3, 2006, 11:10 PM   #9

The S2 has 10x zoom, and you can use remote capture. Have you considered that?
vwmom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 4, 2006, 1:13 AM   #10

There are 5X teleconverters that work with mainly 3X optical zoom digicams. However, I have rarely heard of anyone getting good pictures with any teleconverter with more than a 2.2X multiplier. This is especially the case with ultrazooms. I bought one on Ebay that was supposed to be 3X but it didn't work well at all - lots of distortion.

As for your remote - can't you use a delayed shutter release - timer? Most digicams have that.

I think one of the forums here focuses on digiscoping. You should check it out.

If I had to get an ultrazoom now, forgetting about teleconverters, I would get a Panasonic FZ-5 for daylight shots and a Fuji S5200 for low light/night shots. The latter can take a TCON-17 without a converter giving you 17X optical zoom.
robbo is offline   Reply With Quote