Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > What Camera Should I Buy?

Old Feb 2, 2006, 1:08 PM   #1

I currently have a Pentax Optio MX4. I love the concept of this camera (decent picture taking abilities combined with some basic camcorder functions), but I want to upgrade to something better then 4 MegaPixels and I'd also like to go to a camera with a little better movie mode (30 fps 640X480 is what the Optio MX4 has). It's not that the movie mode is unacceptable, it's just that the "noises" that are recorded onto the audio of the movies is unbearable.You can hear thething auto focusing and adjusting asthe movie was being shot; terribly annoying!

I have been looking into the Canon 2S IS, but it appears that there are a lot of card error issues as well as lens sticking issues with this camera that Canon refuses address. The Canon 2S IS would appear to be the right camera for what I'm looking for, but I don't want to upgrade into a bunch of issues. I also looked at Pentax's Lumix FZ20, but this only does movies at 30 fps 320X240, which seems to be a step down from the 640X480 resolution of my Optio MX4.

Does anyone have any suggestions as to other cameras that I might look into? There are a few things about the Optio that I don't want to compromise on....one is the 10X optical zoom, I don't want to go any lower then 8-10X; next is the movie mode, I'd like to stay with the 640X480 resolution at 30 fps or better; and lastly is the movie length, I don't want to be limited to 3 minute movies when I have a 1G card in the camera.

Any suggestions? Thanks so much in advance for your replies.

Jim

boswellboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Feb 3, 2006, 3:14 PM   #2

Man I thought you guys were gurus! Just kiddingfellow camera seekers, I'm just desperate to find the camera that will fit my needs a little better then the Pentax Optio MX4......

5+ MegaPixels, 8-10X+ optical zoom, a movie mode which is only limited by the size of the mem card, 640X480 min res at 30 fps movies......any suggestions other then the Canon 2S IS?? Or do I already have the best match there is (Canon)? Thanks
Old Feb 3, 2006, 4:45 PM   #3

I haven't heard much for card sticking issues, and I'm part of 4 different S2 user groups with hundreds of posts within them.

The S2.. I LOVE.. Loving it more everyday. The deal breakers for this model were: flip lcd, the incredible stereo/ movie, and the zoom. Worth every buck.. plus some.

If you have questions regarding it, I can try to answer.
vwmom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 4, 2006, 9:45 AM   #4

Thank you very much for your reply. I have been looking hard at the S2 over the past few weeks. Somewhere here on this site is where I ran across a thread that was all about the 'card read error' problem as well as the lens sticking issue. I owned and S50 before and was very happy with it. I may give the S2 a try since there really isn't much advice flying my way as to a better option. I was hoping there was a camera on the market that featured a little better video quality.

Thanks again for your reply.
Old Feb 4, 2006, 11:28 AM   #5

The best thing to do is find a place with a generous return policy.. I've taken a few cameras home and changed my mind.. In the end YOU have to feel comfortable with your investment. Most places here in Canada have a 30 day return policy. Most also have 30-60-90 day price guarentee.. Which is NICE.. I've gotten 100 bucks back on my S2 because I found it cheaper someplace else.
vwmom is offline   Reply With Quote