Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > What Camera Should I Buy?

Old Feb 2, 2006, 12:56 PM   #1

I am wandering if I should wait for new releases of cameras from Canon, Nikon, Panasonic. I am searching for a new 1st DSLR camera and I was looking at the Nikon D50 and the brand new soon-to-come Olympus E-330 thats look awesome but that depends on the low light performance, should I wait or should I go, What is your opinion. :?

Idan is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Feb 2, 2006, 1:36 PM   #2

there is no answer to this question. No matter when you buy, the next model will be better and faster. If you want a camera just buy one and be happy with it.

on a side note the pentax ist DSLR went through a big price drop yesterday. 600 bucks with the kit lens. not bad.
VAtechtigger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 2, 2006, 1:44 PM   #3

I would say it depends on your price range. Canon is highly rumored to be replacing the 20D at PMA this month - but expect that to be around $1500. It does mean the price of 20D has been going down a bit - which is good. If you're looking in the Sub $1000 market, I wouldn't expect Canon, Nikon or KM to have a new entry level model in the next couple of months since they all have products under a year old. But, if you don't have a burning need, then waiting a few more weeks until the show isn't going to hurt.
JohnG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 2, 2006, 2:07 PM   #4

What about the E-330 is it worth waiting or the D50 will be at a better price and Good for me anyways ?
Old Feb 2, 2006, 2:36 PM   #5

You may wait for new releases, but only to buy the previous model, which is phased out with a low price. If you buy the newest model when it comes to market, then you are paying a premium price. This applies especially to the E-330, which has a brand new DSLR feature, a live view swivel LCD. Many people are eagerly waiting for this innovative feature, whence there will be massive demand at the beginning and in a market economy that means higher prices. On the other hand, the older Olympus DSLRs, the E300 and E500 will become cheaper, when the E330 comes to market.
kassandro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 2, 2006, 2:40 PM   #6

Any DSLR camera on the market will serve you well, for several years if not more. Also, from generation to generation cameras in the same class will not experience huge upgrades. All of the major vendors currently have entry level cameras that are experiencing nice price drops. I say buy one of them now..you'll only spend more money, and miss many picture opportunities by waiting for a new model that is only marginally better. Then, when the following generation comes out 3-4 years down the road you can upgrade to a camera that has experienced more measurable advances.
rjseeney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 2, 2006, 3:26 PM   #7

Thanks for the helpfull reply pal.
Old Feb 3, 2006, 8:57 AM   #8

As a 1st DSLR new photographer Do you think I will be happy with the D50 ?

I love the great battery strength and the construction of the camera, also I have SD card from older cameras and I've heard that the Kit lens is quite good.
Old Feb 3, 2006, 9:04 AM   #9

Idan,

I'm going to put camera buyers into two categories:

1. People who love their new toy and are very happy with it no matter what model it is.

2. People who always find problems and shortcomings no matter what the model is.

The question is: which type of person are you? The D50 is a great camera by all accounts - certainly a very capable entry level DSLR. But if you try, you will find some faults with it. But if you're that type of person you'll find fault with ANY camera you buy. If you've handled it and feel comfortable with the ergonomics then yes you COULD be happy with it as it's very capable. But if you're a 'type 2' person - you'll find something wrong with it.
JohnG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 3, 2006, 9:07 AM   #10

You coudn't say it better, I have some of both becuase of the lack of knowledge that all