Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > What Camera Should I Buy?

Old Feb 2, 2006, 5:06 PM   #1

Helping people out about what Camera to purchase!!! :lol:

I'm after something with at least 2.0M/pixels with reasonable quality in mind, for non professional use. I will be using it on a year long trip across Russia. An optical zoom and flash would be nice but can be lived without. Something not so new that I won't be able to find it on ebay please!

The essential requirements are for a non-bulky unit with long battery life which can be connected by USB2 cable to the PC.

Be nice if I could find something which recharges and downloads from a docking unit if that exists (Kodak?) as I shall also be carting a Shuttle XPC about with me too!

I've used a Canon 3.2mp digicam recently (fiddly controls, eats batteries...) and had one of the Sony Mavicas years back along.

Thanx in advance for your help!:G
Qdos is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Feb 2, 2006, 5:12 PM   #2

I don't think they make cameras less than 3mp now.. And as far as I know all can be connected vis usb too.

What kind of budget are you looking at?.. How small do you want it?.. If size doesn't matter.. I would highly suggest the Canon A610.. It's one of the midsized cameras, but takes an awesome pic.

With my Ebay/ camera experiences.. Bids usually go up to sales prices in stores anyway.. so buying from a store with warrenty coverage would be good.

Where are you located?
vwmom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 2, 2006, 5:15 PM   #3

I'm in the UK (Err, England...) and don't want to buy something brand new because of the chances of theft where I am travelling...

Does that Canon model come with a cradle/dock?
Old Feb 2, 2006, 5:16 PM   #4

No it doesn't. Why exactly do you want a dock?.. Seems like something extra to have to pack around.
Old Feb 2, 2006, 5:25 PM   #5

I want a Camera that will recharge on a cradle because I shall be weeks and weeks in the middle of nowhere and the only electrical piece of kit I want to lug around is a voltage regulator that specially lets me use my PC off a 12v vehicle battery.

I will not have the room to carry additional battery chargers etc. There will be nowhere to buy batteries and I don't want to have to carry them in bulk. Therefore a cradle/dock which recharges the Camera from the PC would be best.

According to Google the Canon A610would costabout twice whatI want to risk spending, and it has far more than I'd really need to use on it.
Old Feb 2, 2006, 5:35 PM   #6

If I were you.. I'd look for a camera that takes AA batteries.. That way you can have an extra set of alkalines if you need it. You can get an AA charger for super cheap.

The Sony DSC-s60 is a good little cam. I got one for my mom, and it takes decent pics for the size. I had a Sony P71 that I recently sold, that was a good camera too. I think for the 'cheap' price range, i would go with a base model Sony. There are TONS of those on ebay as well. I'm in Canada.. I know the only cameras I've seen with cradles are in the price range of the 610, and I wouldnt invest a dime personally.

Maybe someone else could suggest something?
Old Feb 2, 2006, 5:36 PM   #7

how about http://www.steves-digicams.com/2004_reviews/cx7430.html

it meets some of your criteria, is a recommended steve cam, and can be found on ebay cheapish...

audioedge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 2, 2006, 5:51 PM   #8

That looks about right! I see four on ebay (uk) right now for about the right money and I'll read that review in more detail when the daylight returns (I'm just about at midnight here where I am right this minute!)

Thanks for everyone's help - and I'd appreciate as many suggestions as possible because I'm not at all up to date with the camera scene... 8)
Old Feb 3, 2006, 9:29 AM   #9

There are many battery chargers for AA's that work from 12v lighter sockets, they are usually smaller and less fiddly when in a car than docking stations. Plus, if all else fails, I'm SURE you can find AA batteries. A used Canon A75 on ebay might intrest you (in fact the whole "A series", since that designates they use AA batteries). A510, A520, A70, A75... there are quite a few in this series.

Rechargable AA kits are cheap on ebay.
tmoreau is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 3, 2006, 2:08 PM   #10

Thats true.. the charger I have that came with Nmh batteries has a cig. plug with the kit.