Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > What Camera Should I Buy?

Old Feb 2, 2006, 7:32 PM   #1

I am hoping someone can point me in the right direction. I don't know anything about the manual features on cameras but I want really nice quality photos. The salesman at Ritz camera suggested the D50 & the reviews I've read about it sound great (but I'm not sure if they were getting great results because they were using the manual settings or the auto settings), but then I've also read reviews about the D200 which make it sound like that camera gives better quality pictures, less noise, etc, but only if you know how to do it manually. I want a camera that can do this automatically, but my husband doesn't want to spend the money on the D50 if we will easily be able to understand the manual features of the D200 & wish we would've gotten that instead. Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks,

Val
Valerie A. is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Feb 2, 2006, 7:51 PM   #2

If you're not comfortable with photography 101...that is how aperature, shutter speed, and iso affect exposure then the D200 is probably over your head. The d200 is a beast of a camera and requires a fair degree of knowledge in order to get the most out of it. Also, at that resolution, the D200 starts to show shortcomings of most consumer grade lenses in terms of resolution. That means you're going to have to hang pretty expensive glass from this guy.....be prepared to spend $400 or more, even over $1000 for the quality of lens needed to get all of the image quality out of this camera (although this is true of all DSLR's..but entry level DSLR's don't outresolve the consumer lenses). So your talking about a $2500 plus investment that will initially lead to lots of frustration if you don't know what to do with it.

The D50, or even the D70 is more camera than most non-professionals need. There are even pros using these cameras. Even at 6.1mp, you'll be able to make very good 8x10 prints and more than acceptable prints up to 16x20 if you nail the exposure. Plus they are much simpler to use (although there is still a learning curve when stepping up from P&S cameras). I rarely use full manual mode, mostly shooting in aperature or shutter priority and occasionally in program shift. I think you're much better off with the D50 and getting some really good glass.
rjseeney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 2, 2006, 8:19 PM   #3

how bout the rebel xt 8.2mp same as D20 and pict quality is comparable. Reason I like the xt is bigger pictures even if its only 15%. I am still deciding on these. I would love to have a nikon with 8mp or more with comparable price to canon. the D20 and xt yield more realistic colors, the D50's color are sometimes a bit aggresive, wich is not always bad. If canon would make the grip bigger on the xt I would be sold. Also I would hold out on the D20 for a month or so, new replacement to be announced soorn so D20 will be as we call out of date. It's reminds me of the apple comersial guy comes out with a apple G4 the best tech of art, gets it in his convertible, the sees a huge sign with the apple G4 being replaced with G5. Rember this is not most bout body but about the lens investment, If u own some nikon equipment id be wise to stick with nikon, same with canon equipment.
ellover009 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 3, 2006, 8:50 AM   #4

Thanks for your input. Would you recommend the 18-55 kit lens that comes w/ the D50 or should I get the body only &get a better lens separately. Any suggestions on what may be the best for a beginner.
Old Feb 3, 2006, 9:22 AM   #5

Again, for a beginner, the 18-55 kit lens is ok...its not top of the line, but it offers good value and performance for the price. Pair that with the 55-200 (costs about $250) and you've got the entire zoom range covered. The 80-200 f/4.5 is also very good and can be found on used for around $100.

If you're not interested in carrying two lenses, the new 18-200vr covers the whole range without the need to change lenses and also provides image stabilization. Of course this lens is more expensive (a least $700) and is very difficult to find right now.
rjseeney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 3, 2006, 6:29 PM   #6

ellover009 wrote:
Quote:
how bout the rebel xt 8.2mp same as D20 and pict quality is comparable. Reason I like the xt is bigger pictures even if its only 15%. I am still deciding on these. I would love to have a nikon with 8mp or more with comparable price to canon. the D20 and xt yield more realistic colors, the D50's color are sometimes a bit aggresive, wich is not always bad. If canon would make the grip bigger on the xt I would be sold. Also I would hold out on the D20 for a month or so, new replacement to be announced soorn so D20 will be as we call out of date. It's reminds me of the apple comersial guy comes out with a apple G4 the best tech of art, gets it in his convertible, the sees a huge sign with the apple G4 being replaced with G5. Rember this is not most bout body but about the lens investment, If u own some nikon equipment id be wise to stick with nikon, same with canon equipment.

Thank you for your reply. Right now I don't own any lenses so one brand over another for that reason would not be an issue. Initially I hadn't read alot about the Canon because the sales rep recommended the Nikon. He said Canon does a better job at flesh tones but he thought Nikon was better at the blues/greens for outside or landscape pictures & the D50 had a "child" mode that made it good for the fleshtones so he preferred the D50. I don't have any experience w/ either so was only going by his input. I found alot of reviews that said great things about both cameras, but being an amatuer, alot of what they were talking about was over my head. After reading alot of the reviews I started to pick up on the terminolgy a bit, but still don't understand all of it. Even the side by side pictures are a bit difficult for me to analyze without knowing what I'm looking for & it's kinda difficult to tell on the computer monitor as opposed to a printout (I don't have a color printer, I usually send away for processing). I basically wanted something to give me really clear sharp images without the "grainy"/noise,andfaster response than the point & shoots where I would miss a shot of my 2 year old daughter because it would delay from the time you pressed the button till the time it took the shot (which is why the sales rep suggested going to a dslr), but I need the camera to do it automatically & I wasn't sure how well these cameras performed straight out of the box so I thought it would be best to ask for some help.
Old Feb 3, 2006, 11:13 PM   #7

How big do u plan making ur portraits? At this point for the money the D50 is a steal, but when it comes to flexibility and the ability to grow the D20 has more playng ground, controls are better though off since u can make changes on the fly, in the D50 u gotta go through the whole menu to do some changes not all. The rebel xt is nice if u can find it on a special offer, comp usa had the D50 for $600 with the 18-55 stock kit and a free printer, by the time I had enough time to go, wednesday they were sold out. theres another one elsewhere with the 28-80 lens but its not a digital lens and is not as nice so its a rip off. I'm thinking rebel xt body + a nicer lens or a D20 stretch the budget a lot (not likely), or if I find a D50at $600 again buy it with the lens kit.
ellover009 is offline   Reply With Quote