Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > What Camera Should I Buy?

Old Feb 3, 2006, 2:59 AM   #1

Anyone knows about a camera with good movie mode capabilities and good quality pictures? im shooting to a us200 to 300 budget (memory not included),im considering the A610 or the sony W5, the first having much better picture quality but im a bit scared about bug reports, and the sony W5 being more solid and having better movie mode but its image quality is not as good, anyone can recommend me one of these or knows about other options to consider? Thank you
flash110 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Feb 3, 2006, 4:36 AM   #2

Have you considered the Canon S2 1S I think this is in your budjet range. It takes very good photos and has a brilliant movie mode. 12 x optical zoom, image stabilisation and an excellent super macro mode. Regards
airedaleman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 3, 2006, 5:43 AM   #3

I just bought nikon 7900 and it has quite good movie mode i.e. 640*480 @ 30frame rate.
SAJJAD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 3, 2006, 3:50 PM   #4

You would be dissapointed with the movie mode on the W5.. I wasn't happy at all with it.

The 610.. ok.. not awesome.. but in well lighted areas is better than most cameras.

The S2.. hands down the best.. This was one of a few 'deal breakers' when I bought it. It's comparable to my Sony Hanycam, though of course still a camera.
vwmom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 3, 2006, 4:34 PM   #5

No matter what your budget someone will suggest something over it. The Casio Z750 has MPEG4 movies and does a good job. It has the great past movie mode where you just aim the camera and wait for something to happen. When it does you start recording and it records the previous 5 seconds from the buffer. So you don't have to grind away in anticipation of something worth filming to happen – just wait for it to happen and then start recording. Everyone including me have been impressed with the movies. You can't use optical zoom during recording though. Optical quality is excellent.

The best price I see from a reliable retailer is $315 delivered. But that includes shipping and there is no tax if you order it out of state.

You can get the Kodak V550 from a reliable retailer for $263 delivered. It also has MPEG4, which takes about a quarter of the space on the memory card. You can use the optical zoom during movie recording. The other cameras you listed have manual controls which the V550 doesn't. It has a very nice high resolution LCD.

slipe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 3, 2006, 5:17 PM   #6

I have no idea what the prices run in the US for those models.. I'm going off of my experience with the 3 models I have tried. Here.. There is about 100 diff between the 620 / 610 and S2.. I actually paid less for the S2 than retail of the 610. That was a sale price.. and good luck.

And to note.. I can't comment on the other models mentioned here.. because I haven't tried them personally.
vwmom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 4, 2006, 9:27 AM   #7

610 hands downs for both image and movie quality.
dequardo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 5, 2006, 11:37 AM   #8

i have the S2 and the video is incredible! the only downside is, its huge file size! a 1min video on best mode (620/30fps) is about 110mb.
asr dude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 6, 2006, 9:00 PM   #9

Almost every canon camera made in the last 1-2 years has a good movie mode, but the best movie mode is in the $499 S2IS. The best in a sub $300camera is the A610's umlimited 30fps 640x480, along with 320x240, 160x 120, and 320x240 60fps.

The only downside is that canon still can't seem to take the massive file sizes down a little...
Homer J. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 7, 2006, 12:42 AM   #10

Thanx everybody, i´ve checked some of the cameras,the Canon S2 looks impressive, , specially the built quality looks very solid in contrast to the A610, and it includes image stabilizationbut here where i live it´s over USD 200 the A610 at about usd550, some of the other cameras arealso worth considering, just a question since i never had one camera of these,are these relatively cheap cameras such as the A610, nikon 7900 the sony W5 or the Casio Z750able torecord acceptable movies in normal light indoors?, Thank you
flash110 is offline   Reply With Quote