Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > What Camera Should I Buy?

Old Feb 3, 2006, 9:41 AM   #1

Dear all,

I'm planning to buy a new camera and have whittled it down to a Canon Ixus 750 (SD550) or a Fuji Finepix F11, but would appreciate some advice.

The picture quality looks great on both, but I am worried that the Canon may not be so good when taking shots of moving objects, particularly my friends' young children and the like ! I've heard some reports that it blurs quite easily, but perhaps this could be addressed by changing ISO settings ?

It does, however, use SD media, which I'd prefer to the F11's XD.

Also some people mention the F11 suffers from purple-fringing quite a lot, so I wonder what peoples' experiences of this are. I do like the look of the its ability to take good shots in low lighting, though, as I expect to takequite a few photos indoors.

Many thanks for any info !
Mendosa is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Feb 3, 2006, 9:54 AM   #2

If low light shooting is a priority, perhaps the Fuji F-11 is worth some more consideration. The max ISO setting on the SD-550 is just ISO 400, whereas the max ISO setting on the F-11 is 1600.

MT
mtclimber is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 3, 2006, 10:42 AM   #3

Thanks for the reply.

I'm a bit of a novice, to be honest - what sort of lighting conditions can a speed of ISO 400 handle ? Is it not really up to the job of indoors on a usual grey, British day ?
Old Feb 3, 2006, 4:44 PM   #4

Mendosa-

I apologize, but I donot really understand the meaning of your post. Perhaps you are using a slang expression.

I will attach a photo taken in a hotel restaurant WITHOUT flash using an ISO setting of ISO 1600 on the Fuji F-10, the auto version of the F-11.

MT
Attached Images

Old Feb 6, 2006, 4:50 AM   #5

Apologies if my post didn't make any sense to you !

I was asking whether the limit of the 400 ISO on the SD550 would be a big problem for usual, daily use in normal indoor lighting on a dull day ?

Thanks for the pic - that's amazing considering the lack of flash !
Old Feb 6, 2006, 9:23 AM   #6

Mendosa-

Having a maximum ISO setting of 400 would work fine on dull days where you need perhaps 200 ISO and it would work inside as well, as long as you used the flash. However, a maximum ISO setting of 400, would not allow indoor photos without flash.

MT
Old Feb 6, 2006, 10:09 AM   #7

MTClimber - many thanks for your helpful advice. I am rather new to the world of photography (rather than just very basic point-and-clicks) so all info is very useful !

I hope to hear from some SD550 users who may have comments about blurry action shots too.
Old Feb 22, 2006, 5:31 PM   #8

Mtclimber and Mendosa,¬* ¬*I'm also very close to ordering the Canon SD550. Others recomend the Casio EX-Z750 or the sony DSC-W7.Always loved the Canon's ( have looked at them in person, both the SD550 & SD450 ), they are well constructed and solid.Prefer the smaller size of the SD450 but feel I'll regret not having gone for the higher megapixels and stronger flash of the SD550. It would be a plus to have manual controls and image stabilization however the small size of the Canon's might compensate for the lack of those features.¬* ¬*¬* ¬*¬* ¬*¬* ¬*¬* ¬*¬* ¬*¬* ¬*¬* ¬*¬* ¬*On the other hand, the casio does have manual controls and DIGITAL stabilization ( apparently not the same as image stabilization ). Still most people recomend the SD550 over the Casio and the Sony.¬*¬* ¬*¬* ¬*¬* ¬*¬* ¬*¬* ¬*¬* ¬*¬* ¬*¬* ¬*¬* ¬*Also¬* need a high speed SD card, going to get the San Disk 1G card w/usb.P.S.-What about a good printer.Good reviews on the IP 6600D Canon and the R340 Epson or the Konica Minolta Magicolor 2430 DL laser printer.Anxious to buy a camera. I've¬* researched the camera's as much as I can and need some good advice. Have a new puppy and would love to take some pictures of him. Have had a film Canon Rebel and it served me well but would love a camera that is small enough that it could be with me at all times. Later on I plan to get a DSLR, once I learn about digitals.Any help would be great! Look foward to your advice.¬* ¬* ¬*¬* ¬*¬* ¬*¬* ¬*¬* ¬*¬* ¬*¬* ¬*¬* ¬*¬* ¬*¬* ¬*¬* Sincerely,¬* ¬* ¬*¬* ¬*¬* ¬*¬* ¬*¬* ¬*¬* ¬*¬* ¬*¬* ¬*¬* ¬*¬* ¬*¬* ¬*¬* Robert¬*¬* ¬* ¬*¬* ¬*¬* ¬*¬* ¬*
robert wolf is offline   Reply With Quote