Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > What Camera Should I Buy?

Old Feb 4, 2006, 2:13 AM   #1

I'm newbie and want to buy a digital camera, for everyday use like birthday party n picturing my kids playing around.
so, i think i need a camera that has quick startup n quick focusing even in low light situation,
compact camera so i can carry it everywhwere i go, resulting wonderful picture even in the night or low light situation (indoor and outdoor).

I have 3 cameras in mind, canon powerShot s80, Canon PowerShot S2 IS, and Panasonic DMC-LX1.
Which one better?
Or Do you guys have any suggestion, what camera i should buy below $600?

I've tried Panasonic Lumix DC-40, which give not so good result in outdoor night situation. the image is blur.. or maybe my hand not so steady long enough..

Please don't know what to choose.. Any advice will be helping

Thanks for helping!

nsr_sp6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Feb 4, 2006, 9:01 AM   #2

The best compact I can think of for being quick and good in low light is the Fuji F10. The three cams you mentioned are limited to a maximum ISO rating of 400, and the F10 goes up to 1600, making it better in low light. The Fuji is also the smallest and lightest of the four.

The S80 and LX1 have an advantage of a wider angle lens (28mm vs. 35mm), and the S2 IS has a 12X zoom. The S2 IS also uses AA batteries.

I think you need to narrow your field down a bit, to where you're comparing apples to apples. If low light and speed is you main concern, then the F10 is the one for you. Another model which might interest you is the Fuji E900.

Good luck with your search.

the Hun

rinniethehun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 4, 2006, 11:22 AM   #3

I have 2 toddlers.. The majority of my indoor shooting is low light. My place has indirrect lighting in everyroom. I've been very impressed with the photos and video. I have nothing but positive to say about the S2...

But I do have a quick question. I've heard people trying to decide from different camera models consistantly.. though I've never seen it between these 3 cameras..

Is there a reason you've chosen these 3?

The biggest 'simple' difference is size in this comparison, is that the S2 is quite a bit larger. The S2 is also an 'ultra zoom' camera. The others have standard p&s zoom.

Maybe if you can explain your needs a bit more, and your price range, we can suggest more?

--

On another quick note.. You did mention 'compact'.. The S2 is not a compact camera.. the body size is one of the largest for point and shoot type cameras.. A camera that's similar (and I can also vouch for) is the Canon A 610 or A620. A superb camera.

vwmom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 5, 2006, 8:15 AM   #4

I've read that f11 have purple fringing issue, is it really disturbing? Or only in very rare occasions?
Or is it matter only I zoom into it and printing large size the picture?

I also read that E900 maximum ISO rating is 800, how is the quality of picture compare to F10 or F11 that has max. ISO rating 1600?

I don't realize if the S2 IS is that big..
Is it really that big until hard to carry everywhere (like SLR type)?

I choose Canon because their reputable name.
I choose the S80 because a lot of review wrote that S80 have high score from their testing Is it true?
I choose the S2 IS because it capable macro picture 0cm.. (I don't know is it useful or not)
I choose the LX1 because it has an image stabilizer.

To be honest I really don't know what size camera to pick, I just need a camera that I can carry it everywhere, that's why I need that not so big camera.. and most of the loaction is indoor (day or night), but sometimes outdoor if go on vaction.

My price range below $600.

BTW, I prefer a camera that using sd card, because I already have some and lower price

Thanks.
Old Feb 5, 2006, 1:07 PM   #5

I'd go into a store if you are able to.. and compare the A610 or A620 (same.. just diff. in Mp and 100.00).. To the S2.

I'm not trying to scare you off.. The S2.. isn't HUGE.. it's just not as compact as most point and shoot cameras. I prefer the size and feel.. but that's me. A lot of SLR users, have this as their 'every day' camera (or models similar in size).. I'm guessing because of features and familiarity?..

In the end.. the best thing is to see them side by side and 'touch' them yourself. If you want a smaller camera though.. the 610 is an EXCELLENT choice still. If I was made of money I'd probably have that in addition to the S2. But overall, I will sacrfice size for the extra benefits of the larger one. .. For an example.. Last night I went to the monster truck show.. downtown with my 4 yr old.. I carried my camera, cel phone and wallet in a snug sling bag.. that way it was under my jacket (it was pissing rain).. this kept it dry and safe.

The A610 is just 'flatter' I guess you could say. The S2 fits in the palm of my open hand.

Old Feb 6, 2006, 1:06 PM   #6

Is the s80 not so good?
Old Feb 6, 2006, 1:43 PM   #7

I only have experience with the ones I've tried..

You can go to http://www.pbase.com/cameras .. there you can search any camera model to see photos taken by people that own those cameras.
Old Feb 6, 2006, 1:47 PM   #8
Super Moderator

the s80 is a good camera and would be a good option for you. it offers a plethora of functions, good build, and good image quality.

but if you are set on shooting in low-light and not using your flash, the f10 is a better choice. when you realize that proper use of flash in low-light conditions is better than trying to never use it, the flash output on the f10 is more powerful than the others because the extended ISO's make better use of your flash.

the lx1 i own, and think it is simply a superb camera but for your purposes its an overkill.. you may check out the fx-9 from panasonic, it offers image stabilization as well and is quite a bit smaller with a built in lens shutter versus the snap on cap that comes with the lx1.
Hards80 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 7, 2006, 4:19 AM   #9

well as far as i'm thinking for my purposes, i don't mind using flash if needed to get better picture..