Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > What Camera Should I Buy?

Old Feb 4, 2006, 10:49 AM   #1

I presently have the option to return my Canon S2 IS and replace it with any other model I like. I don't want to make the same mistake twice.

Is the FZ30 any better then the Canon S2 or am I just looking at another head ache?

What I want are

1. Image quality
2. VIDEO !
3. Manuel Zoom

SD memory and regualar AA's batteries would be a bonus ( that was one reason for buying the Canon ).

Can any one recomend another camera possibly Sony ?
videosilva is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Feb 4, 2006, 5:40 PM   #2

I've never had to deal with the service dept at PANA, but I have 3 times with CANON, and because of service after the sale I walk by CANON every time.
sw2cam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 5, 2006, 12:32 PM   #3

I do not know what kind of work you had done to your Canon after the sale, but by reading your post you would think that you would not back canon for the the fact you had to deal with canon three times after the sale.

I personally have owned the FZ20 and the FZ30. I have had nothing but good things to say about the FZ30, very versitile, the flip out screen and the manual zoom ring are the two big winners over the FZ20 from last year, and the additon of the RAW format is nice, I know the the software in the box from Panasonic does not support the RAW format, but who uses the software in the box?

Just my .02 cents
cnip288 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 5, 2006, 3:16 PM   #4

I don't know of a Sony that takes SD. If you are stuck with the SD card you bought for the S2, Memory Stick would be an added expense. But if you can return the card with the camera, Memory Stick Pro isn't that much pricier than name brand high speed SD. For the small difference I wouldn't pass up a camera I liked. If everyone voted with their feet we could have a shift to standardization though.

Some people like the Sony H1. It wouldn't be my choice as it doesn't have a burst mode. I use burst often with my FZ10 and wouldn't want to be without it. I would also prefer an articulated LCD compared to the larger one on the H1. But it is highly rated and owners seem to like it.

I have cameras with both AA and with proprietary lithium. I prefer lithium. You can get a spare aftermarket lithium battery online for $20 that works as well as the original. Charge it and throw it someplace handy. You can grab it two months later and it is still almost fully charged.

You won't get better movies than you have with the S2 – especially for wind buffered stereo sound. I suppose everyone else is familiar with your S2 problems, but I'm not. Both reviewers and users seem to think it is an excellent camera.

If you want large blow-ups and would work with the raw images the FZ30 will give excellent results. Even without raw it has overall better resolution than the 5Mp competitors. Things I use often like spot metering and EV shift are still not instantly available like other cameras, but the control setup is a lot better than my FZ10 and I get by with that. Pick one up in a store – it is quite large. And the flip-out LCD doesn't have the full range of motion like the S2.

slipe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 8, 2006, 1:52 PM   #5

From the postings I seen of yours, you've had the S2 for at least 2 months. The store you bought it from must have a heck of a return policy. Does this mean no more "fog effect" posts... I was just starting to enjoy those.:?
leonard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 8, 2006, 5:05 PM   #6

Please don't feed the trolls.
dequardo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 9, 2006, 12:19 AM   #7

leonard wrote:
Quote:
From the postings I seen of yours, you've had the S2 for at least 2 months. The store you bought it from must have a heck of a return policy. Does this mean no more "fog effect" posts... I was just starting to enjoy those.:?

Actually I have gone through 2 S2's thinkig the first was defective Went through a Pentax 1S DS was NOT impressed with the DSLR hype. I expected WOW and thats NOT the case. I don't go DLSR since there is no video. The image would have to be WOW for me to give up the video option plus others that the DSLR can NOT do.

Good new, got the Panny 30 today. I took 4 or 5 pictures around the house to test in auto mode and so far so good. I need a decent out door day to take a few more pictures and a few more around the house then I will know if its any good.

So farthe PANNYKILLS the S2 hands down. In a few days I will be able to verify if this statment is consisten.

Thanks all for your time and advice.
Old Feb 9, 2006, 12:19 AM   #8

dequardo wrote:
Quote:
Please don't feed the trolls.
Egguardo what are you doing in the Panny forums ?