Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > What Camera Should I Buy?

Old Feb 4, 2006, 3:38 PM   #1

Im getting closer to choose and might choose one of the Casio's after reading good stuff about them..and after reading some bad stuff about the indoor performance of the Sony T9. I need a good alround ultracompact for sports as well as family fotos indside.. My field includes:

Casio - the models above
Sony - T9 or P200
Kanon - SD450 (IXUS 55)
Kodak - V530

Any advice on which to go for ? (I have asked this before, yes, but new fatcs and opinoins might have come forward meantime). Also, is the S600 anything to consider ? I believe I read somewhere that its actually WORSE than the S500 and that the extra 1 MG does nothing constructive. Is this really so ?

Please respond, experts

Tor

Torr is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Feb 5, 2006, 3:59 AM   #2

I will also be making a similar decision soon (to back up my Fuji S5200).

Out of the Casio's you listed, the Z120 is the best. The S500 and S600 both have image quality issues, and the Z750 is very unreliable (most users reported lense errors). The V530 might be a tad slow, but it is also a great compact model.

I'd go with the Casio Exilim Z120
tennisforums is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 5, 2006, 9:27 PM   #3

Torr wrote:
Quote:
Any advice on which to go for ? (I have asked this before, yes, but new fatcs and opinoins might have come forward meantime). Also, is the S600 anything to consider ? I believe I read somewhere that its actually WORSE than the S500 and that the extra 1 MG does nothing constructive. Is this really so ?

Please respond, experts

Tor
Hey wassup !!!
the sony P200 is a really good camera ... neat pics , really good battery life , super fast....
well if ya aint really in a hurry to buy a digicam,ya could wait for sometime more n check out theS600 review ...spec wise it seems to be a really good camera , though i dunno how would it perform actually

aman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 6, 2006, 12:22 AM   #4

The Z750 had some lens errors when it was first released. I have one of the early release models and haven't had problems, but that is probably because I read about the problem soon enough to avoid it. Newer models don't have a problem with lens errors.

One feature the Z750 has that the Z120 is missing is MPEG4 movies. They take only a quarter the space on the card, but also allow for the great past movie mode. You just aim the camera and wait for something to happen. When it does you start recording and it records the previous 5 seconds from the buffer and continues recording. You don't have to grind away in anticipation of something happening. I shoot all of my movies in past movie mode and wouldn't want to be without it.

The Z750 also has an excellent lens and high resolution. I suspect the Z120 has the same lens and resolution though. The Z750 has a larger LCD which I find handy as my near vision isn't the greatest. I like the stand for the Z750. I have never removed the battery and only once removed the memory card to run some tests with a slower card. The stand isn't the greatest for travel. But it is easier to carry than my Maha charger for AAs.

The S series from Casio have carried a Casio lens with transparent ceramic technology, which hasn't gotten rave reviews. I also like having an optical viewfinder which the S series doesn't have. The S500 does have the MPEG4 movies and past movie mode.

The SD450 is a good little camera. It doesn't have the 7Mp sensor of the Z120 and Z750, but it is good for most purposes. The Z750 and Z120 both have full manual controls if you want to use them where the SD450 and S500 are pure point and shoot. The SD450 does have an optical viewfinder.

The T9 should have the best indoor performance of the lot for shooting without flash. Images are good at ISO400 and it is the only one you listed with true optical stabilization. Some of the others have digital stabilization which isn't very good, and none of the others are as good at high ISO. The SD450 has a slightly stronger flash. If you don't need manual controls or an optical viewfinder it is probably the best of the lot. http://www.dcresource.com/reviews/sony/dsc_t9-review/

The Sony P200 doesn't have as high a resolution lens as the Z750, but I doubt you would see the difference. It isn't as easy to use the manual controls, but you don't seem too interested in those based on your choices. One thing the P200 is excellent at is red-eye. It is the only camera listed that doesn't normally give much red eye. The long shape lets them put the flash further from the lens. Some people don't like the 1/45 second flash sync speed, but it does give more background in decent indoor light. You also have to buy Memory Stick Pro, which is a little pricier than the standard SD in the other cameras.

Friends have a Kodak V550 and it is a good little point and shoot camera. It has MPEG4 movies and you can use the optical zoom with movies – albeit with some noise in the sound track. I think the only difference from the V550 is the high quality large LCD.

I don't normally respond to posts aimed at "experts", but I felt tennisforums gave information on the Z750 which isn't current.

slipe is offline   Reply With Quote