Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > What Camera Should I Buy?

Old Feb 5, 2006, 8:08 AM   #1

I I am looking to buy a small relatively inexpensive digital camera (2-400$) mainly to be used on active vacations. I have a 3 megapixel fuji finepix 3000 that works just fine as far as I'm concerned, but is rather large. We are going to go to sedona, horseback riding, jeep tours, lots of scenery and sunsets, and want something small and sturdy I can put in my pocket or fanny pack. Future uses would also be more vacation/scenery shots, since the fuji works just fine for family parties, etc. I am lured by the higher megapixels, but probably dont need them all. I do tend to blow up the good pictures for my walls though. I was looking at the sony dsc p200 but scared away by the complaints of blurry shots (thinking cruises, jeep tours, etc.) and also looked at the minolta x-1, but heard its not so sturdy and minolta is no longer making digitals. any suggestions please??? Thanks, kimI I am looking to purchase a small, relatively inexpensive
kimcht is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Feb 5, 2006, 1:46 PM   #2

Why don't you try theSD 450/500/550? they are all very small, take outstanding pictures, in the $200-400 price range.

TheSD 500 is best if you don't need the 2.5 inch screen on the more expensiveSD 550. It takes great pictures, has a large 1/1.8 sensor,which is outstanding for an ultracompact, and is easy to use.
Homer J. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 5, 2006, 8:21 PM   #3

kimcht wrote:
Quote:
I was looking at the sony dsc p200 but scared away by the complaints of blurry shots (thinking cruises, jeep tours, etc.) and also looked at the minolta x-1, but heard its not so sturdy and minolta is no longer making digitals. any suggestions please??? Thanks, kim
Hey wassup !!!

i personally dunno a thing bout the minolta or the fuji, but the sony one is a really a good choice...

its not others who are lookin to buy the digicam,its ya ? so wat i could suggest is that ya go to a store n check out the pics n print em if ya want too, n see for yaself wat ya think?

instead of the P200 ya could also check the W5/W7 they are really good cameras , they are much steadier n also have a somewat better pic quality than the P200... and the best part is they use NiMH batt,which are alot cheaper than propietary batt(10 v/s 60bux)

they are worth checkin out ...
aman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 5, 2006, 11:48 PM   #4

The SD400 and 500 had a lot of problems with cracked LCDs. They have rectified that in the SD450 and 550.

Newbies will get blurry pictures with almost any camera. Indoor light that looks fine to their eyes often isn't enough to generate enough shutter speed for a handheld shot without flash. As you zoom you need more shutter speed but the camera actually generates less because it lets in less light.

The Sony P200 has a flash sync speed of 1/45 second compared to 1/60 on other cameras. It is a compromise to keep the background from being too dark. On the P200 you can set a higher flash sync speed if the background is very bright and you want to avoid ghosts. One advantage of the P200 is that is one of the few small cameras that doesn't generate much red-eye because they could put the flash further from the lens. The P200 is a good camera and has some manual controls if you ever want to use them.

The Casio Z120 is a bargain in the US, but you have to buy a charger and NiMH batteries. A set is fairly cheap. It has a very good lens and high resolution.

slipe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 7, 2006, 11:51 AM   #5

I would say Fujifilm FinePix Z2 Digital Camera is pretty awesome design for traveling, not to slim. I have seen a number of good reviews for this cam.

Not sure if thelittle screw is a matter -

Timmy Cool is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 8, 2006, 2:16 PM   #6

Please look at my post under the thread: "Ultracompact for marathon running - which"* in this forum.* My motto is "The camera you have WITH you, gets the picture"* I've just been running some tests, and it looks like the Pentax WPi does a really good job, and it is WATERPROOF!*
Ohlsonmh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 11, 2006, 8:32 PM   #7

i would go with the pentax optio s6. i have always thought their compact cameras are the best
lgbalfa is offline   Reply With Quote