Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > What Camera Should I Buy?

Old Feb 5, 2006, 9:45 AM   #1

Thinking of buying the Nikon D50 body only and Sigma 18-200mm DC. (1:11 Zoom)

What do you say ?? :|

Idan is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Feb 5, 2006, 10:09 AM   #2
Administrator

Yes, the Nikon D50 would be a good first choice in a DSLR. It's well liked by it's users.

Also, check out some of it's competitors (for example, the Konica-Minolta 5D., Canon Rebel XT, Pentax *ist DL, etc.).

My personal favorite in the budget class of DSLR models is the Konica Minolta Maxxum 5D, since it goes to ISO 3200 (missing on the Digital Rebel XT and Nikon D50), and it has anti-shake built in that works with every lens. I got one of these myself.

But, since KM announced they are getting out of the camera business, prices have gone up some. The recent announcements that Sony would be taking over marketing of cameras using this lens mount seemed to have spurred some "Panic Buying". So, many dealers have already run out of them.

As for the lens, personally, I would not buy a lens with that much focal range.

As as general rule, the more difference you have between the widest and longest zoom setting, the more compromises that are made in optical quality. You may have more chromatic aberrations, softer photos unless stopping down more to smaller apertures, etc.

But, quality is subjective, and not everyone wants to lug around a bag full of lenses. The conditions you're using a lens in also come into play. I would encourage you to get some owner opinions of this lens.

You may want to ask about it in our Nikon Lenses Forum:

http://www.stevesforums.com/forums/view_forum.php?id=66

JimC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 5, 2006, 10:14 AM   #3

I'm with Jim. The only lens with that much range that I would purchase is the new Nikkor 18-200VR..it is on the pricey side, and even it will suffer from distortion issues. For some reason, the kit lenses (the 18-55 and 55-200) keep getting a bad rap. IMO, for the price its very tough to do much better. The only real issue with these lenses is build quality, which you will find with any lens in these price ranges. They are both fairly sharp (especially when stopped down a bit), fast focusing and small and lightweight. For the average user, these lenses would be more than enough.
rjseeney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 5, 2006, 5:59 PM   #4

I've seen many photos from both lenses the Sigma and Tamron and I was very impressed, and continue asking myself why do I need more.

here are some sample:

http://search.pbase.com/search?q=tam...hotos&c=sp

BTW would 18-125 would be a better choice ?
Old Feb 5, 2006, 8:04 PM   #5

Just a minor point. On the Nikon D-50 you will have a maximum ISO setting of 1600. On the KM 5D you will have a maximum ISO setting of 3200. You might, perhaps, be a low light level shooter, and that difference could, perhaps, make a sizable difference. You be the judge, please.

MT
mtclimber is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 5, 2006, 8:12 PM   #6

the sigma 18-200 is not the best lens out there , but it is a good starting lens, I have it, and I use it with my Rebel xt , it stays on most of the time, it covers alot , it's the only way that I could cover 18-200mm for under$400, good luck to you.
ht770 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 6, 2006, 2:17 AM   #7

Would the Nikon 50mm 1.8D be a better choice, Sharp as a razor, top quality ??
Old Feb 6, 2006, 8:34 AM   #8
Administrator

I would get a bright 50mm (and the f/1.8 is fine), regardless of any other lens(es) you choose.

But, you may the flexibility of a zoom (for when you'll need something wider, or longer than 50mm).

JimC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 6, 2006, 10:04 AM   #9

Can you recommend a fast lens that have a good zoom, have sharp picture for a good price ??
Old Feb 6, 2006, 10:14 AM   #10

Quote:
Also, check out some of it's competitors (for example, the Konica-Minolta 5D., Canon Rebel XT, Pentax *ist DL, etc.).

My personal favorite in the budget class of DSLR models is the Konica Minolta Maxxum 5D, since it goes to ISO 3200 (missing on the Digital Rebel XT and Nikon D50)
Quote:
The DL will also do ISO 3200 though it doesn't have the anti-shake

pic_*ist is offline   Reply With Quote