Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > What Camera Should I Buy?

Old Feb 5, 2006, 5:59 PM   #1

Hey fellow photography enthusiasts!

Im just trying to see what you guys think would be a better camera for me...the Canon A610 or the Fuji S5200. Despite the price difference of about 80 bucks, which is superior? I keep geckos and want to be able to get some decent macro shots, as well as be able to take the camera outside to the parks, take pictures of my dogs, and all sorts of everyday stuff.

The main problem with the camera i have now is the incredibly slow shutter, and its inability to take any sort of picture indoors...it wont focus for peanuts!

I like both, but i am leaning towards the Fuji simply because it looks amazing, but I have heard alot of positive things about the Canon. What do you guys think?
JeffDG is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Feb 5, 2006, 8:07 PM   #2

jeff-

Perhaps, the Canon S-2 IS might be worth a good look. You get the ultra zoom plus IS, plus asuper macro. It is a hard combination to beat.

MT
mtclimber is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 5, 2006, 9:52 PM   #3

I've tried the S2 and 610.. Haven't got too much into the macro but plan to this week. I had a pair of fat tailed geckos.. They actually went to a new home just 2 nights ago.. so.. can't help you there.. I have a small (3") young box turtle.. I'll take some test shots on her this week. I have the S2 right now, so that's what I'll be working with.
vwmom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 5, 2006, 11:19 PM   #4

The S2 is just more than i want to be spending atm to be quite honest. I really want something fast and easy to use, but with enough features to keep me interested in it. I really think ill be picking up the Canon.
Old Feb 5, 2006, 11:23 PM   #5

Guess it just depends where you are.. I got a great deal on my S2.. if I havn't gotten it so cheap, I proabably would have stuck with the 610. Look for sales
vwmom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 6, 2006, 4:17 AM   #6

From my experience, the Fuji S5200 is a great camera, but the colours are not as vibrant as regular point and shooters. It does depend on what you're after though- realistic tones, or bright pleasing tones. I chose the S5200 simply for its amazing speed and focal length, but if I was after a camera for snapshots, the Canon would be slightly more convenient.

But I honestly do think you'd like the A610 better, it does a great job of macro shots and you'll have some cash left over for a card/accessories.

Good Luck!
tennisforums is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 6, 2006, 9:03 AM   #7

So...at 1am i ordered the Canon A610. I got it at a local electronics chain for the same price it would have costed me for BH to ship it to me. As soon as i get my confirmation email im heading over to pick it up.