Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > What Camera Should I Buy?

Old Feb 7, 2006, 2:39 AM   #1

Ive seen all the posts relating to the DSC-H1 and S2...but I have a very specific questions..Considering these three needs, which camera should I buy?

I want to:
  1. Be able to shoot action pics with as little blurr as possible[/*]
  2. Be able to get the most stable pics, zoomed all the way in[/*]
  3. Be able to crop my pics down somewhat, and still have a detailed image left[/*]
  4. Get the best possible image quality, so I canpost my best pics on stock photography sites
[/*]
Does it matter that the S2 and H1's pics are stored as JPEGs? I know that they'll be compressed, but how compressed...will they be totallyuseless for stock photos?

I thank any1 for any info they can give me!
RickyRoma is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Feb 7, 2006, 7:29 AM   #2

Personally, I think its a wash between the two. The S2, does give a bit more flexibility in framing with the swivel lcd, but it really comes down to ergonomics and which one feels the best.

Now in terms of stock photography...really a DSLR is the best option. I'm not saying it cannot be done with a P&S, but it does make things more difficult. The microstock agencies require very clean noise free images. This means shooting at the minimum ISO at all times. Also, both of these cameras exhibit some chromatic aberration (purple fringing) which will also get an image rejected pretty quickly. Also, what kind of images will you be submitting to these agencies?? You should be aware nice artistic shots have very little stock value. Take a look at some of the top photographers on these sites and you will see alot of images that are extremely clean, well lit and convey a clear concept. Sunsets, flora and landscapes are extremely competitive and overdone. It will be next to impossible to get many of these shots accepted. Spend some time in the forums, look at the best sellers for each agency and try to figure out a niche. Also, make sure you review all images at 100%-200% for issues like focus, noise, artifacts and hazing before submitting. Most require you to submit several images for review before allowing you to become a regular submitter.In order to make any income, you will need a failry large portfolio...at least 500+ quality images may earnyou$75-100every month or two if you are lucky. Good luck!!!
rjseeney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 7, 2006, 9:24 PM   #3

wow...thx for all the good info...

Yeah, I was just turned on to the possibility of submitting pics to these stock photo websites. Im studying web/graphic design, and we end up taking tons of pics here and there, with some of them actually looking pretty good. So some1 suggested submitting them to some sites, with the possibility of earning extra side income. Sounded interesting to me.

Guess it makes sense that I would need a DSLR or something better...I just dont have DSLR money right now...too bad though...it sounded like a fun way to make a little bit of side change.

I guess the fact that the S2 and the Sony both save the pics as JPEGs doesnt help either huh...well, it'll be fine for web design, thats for sure.
RickyRoma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 8, 2006, 7:41 AM   #4

Hey, if you got lots of images and want to give stock a shot, then by all means go for it.The fact that you have a background in graphic design gives you a leg up on the average amateur...you know what designers want and how they may use a particular image. I'm sure there are some that make money without a DSLR. I just wanted you to be aware of the reality of the stock business. Stock is an art form in itself, and usually (not always) what the average person would consider art, is not really suited for stock. There are people that make money doing it, but they go at it full time, have access to models (people in a business environment are the biggest sellers) and large studios with pro lighting fixtures. They often have a couple people that help them out with editing.

Good luck.
Old Feb 8, 2006, 11:02 AM   #5

If you want image quality stay clear of the S2.
videosilva is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 8, 2006, 12:53 PM   #6
Super Moderator

alot of stock photo places will only accept high megapixel images, sometimes with a minimum of 8 or 12 megapixel. you will need a dslr if you are serious into that.
Hards80 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 8, 2006, 1:28 PM   #7

The most popular ones (shutterstock, Istock, dreamstime) look for 3 mp or more...but the most successful photographers ones are shooting with either the canon 20d or nikon d70, although the D200 and Canon 5d are gaining ground.
Old Feb 8, 2006, 9:57 PM   #8

The Pentax FZ20 would be a little better for sports as it is about a half-stop faster at full zoom.

The Panasonic FZ30 has raw. That combined with higher Mp might give decent photos for submission if you are good at post processing.

The H1 doesn't have a burst mode. I find that handy, especially for sports.

slipe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 8, 2006, 10:36 PM   #9

I have excellent results with my S2 action shots.. The IS (image stabilization)seems to do an excellent job even in high zoom as well.

Not sure what you're using the photos for.. Giving us a better idea would help a bit.. Most professionals though, do need to go DSLR for obvious reasons.

vwmom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 8, 2006, 11:13 PM   #10

I thought he was pretty clear in his intentions ?

Any ways I got the Panny FZ 30 today. I took about 4 pics in auto around the house to test and so far so good. I need a decent day out door and a few indoor shots for my final opinion.

So far it KILLS the S2 !
videosilva is offline   Reply With Quote