Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > What Camera Should I Buy?

Old Feb 9, 2006, 9:35 AM   #1

Hi,

I want to replace my Canon PowerShot A85 with a better one, with better pics and small size..

my Budget is $600.

what do you suggest?

Regards,

Zahid

Zahid is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Feb 9, 2006, 2:34 PM   #2

Go through Steve's best cameras list: http://www.steves-digicams.com/best_cameras.html Not that everything worth considering is on the list, but it is a place to start.

Do you need wide angle? Low light capability without using the flash? Is 3 or 4X zoom enough? How large is "small" – is your A85 small enough? Do you use the manual modes often and it that important? How many Mp do you think you require? Do you need a fast burst mode? Can you do without an optical viewfinder? Do you want stabilization? Do you want a large LCD? Flip-out LCD? High quality LCD?

There are a lot of great cameras out there. I have a tiny pocket camera with a large LCD, optical viewfinder and full manual modes. I am happy with it, but it doesn't fit everyone's requirements. I also have a large camera with a stabilized 12X zoom, but I don't get as many photos as with the small camera because it is a hassle to carry with me all the time. Everything is a compromise.

Maybe you could just tell us what you don't like about the A85 and why you are replacing it. In what situations aren't the photos good? The photo quality of the A85 is excellent in most conditions.

slipe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 9, 2006, 9:56 PM   #3

what I dislike about A85:
* I cant carry this camera in my pocket all the time because of its weight and size. (weight is OK, but i need more compact size)
* Indoor picture quality is not good.
* uneasy focusing in Macro Mode

What I need:
* More compact size and light weight
* Better Picture quality than A85
* More Megapixels
* Manual Focus

I usually take the pictures of Mountains, beaches, sceneries, animals etc,and was looking to get EOSDigital Rebel XT but because of its size and low budget and i cant afford this camera at the moment... so I decided to get a compact size camera so that i can carry that almost all the time easily, and later i will get Digital Rebel XT or better camera when i will have enough funds.

Regards,
Zahid

Zahid is offline   Reply With Quote