Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > What Camera Should I Buy?

Old Feb 10, 2006, 10:28 PM   #1

Hi, I know very little about digital cameras. Right now I have a Nikon CoolPix 5900 but I'm looking to upgrade. I'mthinking in the$500 range. I go to a lot of concerts in all different types of venues and lighting. I'd like a camera with a high zoom, good focus, all around good for concert shooting. I'd also like to eventually learn Photoshop and edit concert pictures. I don't want a huge camera because I'd also like to just be able to use the camera for everyday candids w/ friends. I've researched a bit about the Canon PowerShot 5.0MP Digital Camera - S2 IS and seen concert pictures taken with that and they look good. Does anyone have any opinions on that camera or suggest a different one? Thanks so much.
hardcandy is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Feb 11, 2006, 2:09 AM   #2

Hi there, if you are satisfied with S2 is, have a look at sony DSC-H1 also. High ISO performance is better in H1. You need a fast lens too. Why can't you consider an entry D-SLR along with a fast lens? If you are o.k. with the size of S2 is, entry D-SLR must be o.k. for you too.
Adiseshanaik is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 11, 2006, 7:21 AM   #3

The maximum ISO of both the S2 IS and the H1 is 400, which isn't very high, but if performance at ISO 400 is what was meant, I would have to agree with the H1. However, concert lighting is notoriously poor for digital photography, so the OP may want to consider a camera with higher ISO capability. I would also agree that a DSLR with a fast lens is the best way to go, but that may be considered a huge camera, and would easily propel the OP well beyond the stated $500 price range.

You may want to consider the Fuji S5200. It is a little larger than the S2 IS, but is a little lighter. It also has 5 MP resolution, but has ISO 1600 capabilities, which could be helpful in available light settings.

Good luck with your search.

the Hun

rinniethehun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 11, 2006, 2:35 PM   #4

Two other factors I did not mention above are that I'd like the camera to have good video capabilities and to be relatively easy to use.

Thanks for the replies Yeah, the Canon is a little big for my liking but not horrible. Thanks for the suggestions, I'll look into that.

What is DSLR? Sorry, I really don't know anything haha
Old Feb 11, 2006, 3:01 PM   #5

DSLR = Digital Single Lens Reflex = large footprint, expensive, more difficult to use, and no video capability. Not for you? OK, check out the S5200.

the Hun

rinniethehun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 11, 2006, 3:30 PM   #6

ooo ok. thanks!