Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > What Camera Should I Buy?

Old Feb 11, 2006, 8:01 AM   #1

I've just come back to say I've brought this camera - the Canon Powershot 620 - and thank you tons for your help.

In the end I could have really stretched out and bought something bigger - but as someone who works always in the same small town, I would have ended up feeling a muggers magnet.

Initial impressions are that it's a nice stocky camera (Idislike the really smallones), with tons of options. I like the versitility of the optical viewfiender, but I can't hold the camera easily in one hand, and the cover to the terminal for the connection for downloading is as flimsy as a pancake. We will see how long it lasts....

I really like the fact I have the options of add ons. When I'm at home, or friend's houses, I can stick on a lens extenions (see the Lensmate options rather than the Canon one), and have different options. The underwater cover - not cheap - will be great for bad weather photos if I decide to get it. I like bad weather a lot, but it isn't good for diggy cams without protection.

Most of all I got this camera because the quality of pix is reputedly good. I'm not sure about landscape views yet, but on close distances I am more than happy. I will post a landscape soon....

Thanks again for the advice.

Caroline

PS: Yes, the marks on the right are bad photoshopping.Most of the pic isstraight, I think with just levels adjustment andsharpening.

Attached Images

Canna W is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Feb 11, 2006, 2:07 PM   #2

I read a tip someplace.. I believe a pbase user.. to cut down on the flashbounce on things like shown here.. hang a small piece of toilet paper over the flash
vwmom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 11, 2006, 6:40 PM   #3

Ha ha VW Mom!

I'm usually the one walking around with the toilet paper stuck to the bottom of my shoe!

style="BACKGROUND-COLOR: #000000"Actually the best way to light the stuff is to light from an angle from each side, so that the light doesn't reflect directly back up to the camera.

style="BACKGROUND-COLOR: #000000"I use those chicken brooder lamps clamped to two chairs on either side of the object.

style="BACKGROUND-COLOR: #000000"-- Terry

style="BACKGROUND-COLOR: #000000"
terry@softreq.com is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 12, 2006, 4:28 AM   #4

I must admit I quite like the reflections in thispic (they're from a window), but the issue of flash reflections isa big one.

I notice you can reduce the power of the on camera flash, but I've still to explore that .

I have sent off for this diffuser...note it only works with Canon cameras, and only a few of these too.

http://www.flashclip.net/ (check out the gallery - & you need to scroll down to see anything...)

Given that this camera really needs 2 hands, I think this will help.

I really want to learn more about indoor lighting though, and thank you for the tips. I need to look at the lighting section here at Steve's Forum!
Old Feb 12, 2006, 12:55 PM   #5

Again, the pro's don't use a flash, they light objects from the side.

Anyways, you'll have fun!

Terry

terry@softreq.com is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 12, 2006, 1:16 PM   #6

Most cameras do have a flash 'setting'.. My S2 has low, med and high. Is it easier to just pop something over the flash or reset things?.. who knows.. Anyone will also make ANYTHING to make money (I'm not complaining). :idea:
Old Feb 14, 2006, 5:50 AM   #7

Herewith the results of my gizmo.

You are right VW Mom - not money well spent

Here is the picMINUS the flash clip...
Attached Images

Old Feb 14, 2006, 6:02 AM   #8

Here is the pic with the flash clip.

If this was a regular photograph it would need a lot of cleaning up in the background. The 'v' shape in the glareare the prongs holding the perspex screen, the partial oblong shadow is the perspex itself...

It will do for stuff I want to copy and paste, but not for anything where I want to keep the environment... Added to which, there are still a lot of bad highlights.

I'm off to see if I can find anything for newbies in the studio lighting section.

Caroline

Attached Images

Old Feb 14, 2006, 10:32 AM   #9

Cana-

Actually you did get the light that you desired. What went wrong was that you were perpendicular to that wall. Had you changed your camera position, by going just two steps to either the right or the left from the position where you took the photo, there would be no problem. The rule is to never get perpendicular to anything that can reflect light back at you.

If you are still unhappy you still always have their 100% satisfaction guarantee.

MT
mtclimber is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 14, 2006, 2:48 PM   #10

Did you compare it to toilet paper? :G seriously.. i'd just like to see the difference..

Sorry you got ripped off.