Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > What Camera Should I Buy?

Old Feb 11, 2006, 5:53 PM   #1

After looking at several review sites and trying most of entry level DSLRs in person I came down to the choice between KM Dynax D5 or Nikon D50. I didn't like the construction and feel of the Canon Digital Rebel XT (it is also more expensive in the country I live) therefore skipped it.

I will take akit (camera+lens) from KM or Nikon with plan to buy 18-200 manufacturer lens next year (available from both).

I would appreciate comments from owners or the ones who have experience with both.

Here is few points:

1. Mostly general use - photos of the family, trips, some landscape and low light photography;

2. Quality of cameras and lenses- hands on experience please, especially regarding kit lenses and 18-200 lenses (from Nikon with VRII);

3. Image quality issues if any;

4. How easy is to get used to the camera for the beginner (so that my wife can used it as well).

Any other comments welcome.

Thanks.
norcha is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Feb 11, 2006, 6:54 PM   #2
Super Moderator

the km5d option will be quite a bit cheaper because the image stabilization is built into the body, therefore you can buy an 18-200 lens for substantially less.. the nikon 18-200 withimage stabiliatywill be about 2x as expensive as an 18-200 for the km5d.. also, the km5d has a little better image processor and is able to control noise better than the nikon even though they use the same sensor.. it is also worth noting that the km5d also has iso 3200 as its max whereas the nikon is limited to 1600..

all-in-all for about the same price.. the km5d offers a better value than the nikon d50 and has the benefit of image stabilization all the time..

cheers,
dustin
Hards80 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 11, 2006, 11:56 PM   #3

Having just bought the KM 5d, clearly I think it is better, or at least that is the way the coin landed after I got tired of banging my head against the wall trying to figure out which one to get. Doubt you can go wrong either way.

norcha wrote:
Quote:
... 4. How easy is to get used to the camera for the beginner (so that my wife can used it as well). ...
With the 5d (and likely with the Nikon), If you remember to reset to auto, set the ISO back to a reasonable value, set the display options, flash bias, exposure bias, metering, focus selection, ... all to normal when you put it away, she shouldn't have any problems. That isa good way to leave the camera for your own use as well since that means you can always just grab the camera and get a shot.

It is a good idea to experiment with the settings on the camera, but it is also a good idea to get in the habit of returning the settings to what you would want just grabbing the camera and going. That will keep both of you happy.
BillDrew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 13, 2006, 3:08 AM   #4

Thank you for comments. I will probably take a look at both once more but leaning towards KM. I just hope that with aquasition of KM photo business by Sony support for existing cameras and accessories will continue to be good.
Old Feb 14, 2006, 4:21 PM   #5

Be aware that for some reason, the Nikon D50 is now cheaper than the KM5D, the pentax and over £100 cheaper than the EOS 350d.

well, thats looking at www.amazon.co.uk....

Nikon at £429 http://www.amazon.co.uk/exec/obidos/...A3P5ROKL5A1OLE

KM at £441
http://www.amazon.co.uk/exec/obidos/...Fencoding=UTF8

Pentax at £438
http://www.amazon.co.uk/exec/obidos/...Fencoding=UTF8

Canon at £539
http://www.amazon.co.uk/exec/obidos/...A3P5ROKL5A1OLE

In addition, I've heard good things about the Nikon 18-200mm VR lens which is going for £200

kjeal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 14, 2006, 10:23 PM   #6

Considering that you live in Estonia, I would tend to approach this in steps. Or at least this is how I did it. I am a KM 5D owner and really like the camera a lot. In his answer, Hards went through a lot of the advantages of the KM 5D. Here is what I propose.

Step #1 - Purchase the KM 5D with the kit lens. That will give you a wide angle through normal lens.

Step #2 - Purchase a walk around lens. After a great deal of research I settled on the Tokina 24-200mm lens as my walk around lens. It saved me money. It was highly rated, and in actual day to day shooting it produces superior photos.

The advantage of the step strategy is that after completing step #1, you can take as long as you desire before completing step #2.

When step #2 is completed you will have the 35mm equivalent of around 26mm to 300mm with just those two lenses and a minimal investment.

MT
mtclimber is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 15, 2006, 6:02 PM   #7

I ordered a KM 7D + 18-70 mm kit lens today for 639€ (includes our hefty VAT). The KM 7D is 100-200 gramms heavier than the KM 5D, but has a better OVF (the OVF of the KM 5D is good enough, though), has a larger buffer (longer bursts) and most importantly for me has three custom modes. The price for the KM 7D simply declined more than that of the KM 5D and I simply couldn't withstand the good deal.
Because the KM 5D/7D has a crop factor of 1.52 the kit lens starts at a focal length which is equivalent to 28 mm, not 26 mm, at 35 mm.
kassandro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 16, 2006, 2:40 AM   #8

kassandro wrote:
Quote:
I ordered a KM 7D + 18-70 mm kit lens today for 639€ (includes our hefty VAT). The KM 7D is 100-200 gramms heavier than the KM 5D, but has a better OVF (the OVF of the KM 5D is good enough, though), has a larger buffer (longer bursts) and most importantly for me has three custom modes. The price for the KM 7D simply declined more than that of the KM 5D and I simply couldn't withstand the good deal.
Because the KM 5D/7D has a crop factor of 1.52 the kit lens starts at a focal length which is equivalent to 28 mm, not 26 mm, at 35 mm.
Hei, where did you get KM 7D for such a price in Europe? If it's online store please give me the link.
Old Feb 16, 2006, 5:19 AM   #9

Well i also hesitated between the Km 5D & Nikon D50 & Canon 350D....having tried all 3 i dropped the Canon ...didn`t like the position of the shutter button...camera was to small for my big fingers...allthough it was much much better with the BG-E3 battery pack.

The KM 5D did have a good build body...a little heavier which is better in fact allthough againi didn`t like the command dial which was right in front of the shutter button...rememberi havebig fingers.The Sony issue also troubled me a bit and what really got me to choose the Nikon D50 was the fact that it is much easier to find optional lenses and other accessaries both new and second hand.The camera was also just perfect in my hand ...big fingers or not every buttons were just in the right place...again the proof that Nikon have such a great experience in making very good and practical easy to use cameras.

I didn`t find image quality being an issue because all 3 produce very good A4 print quality(maybe the Canon being slightly better?).

I bought the Nikon D50 body for 485 euro and got a fantastic 50mm 1.8 lens for 98 euro.I will be purchasing soon the 18-200mm VR for the price of 675 euro.

Ok the KM 5D is cheaper but i believe that the 18-200mm from Nikon is much better then the one from KM....the price difference between both makes is about 200 euro(KM body :491..18-200mm:461).....for such a small difference i didn`t hesitate to choose the Nikon.

Don`t forget that if and i`m pretty sure it will happen ,the day i want to sell my D50,i will have no problem doing so and for a very reasonable price....maybe for a D200 ? ......

I did ask around in secondhand shops and believe me they were really not interested in buying KM material but they had huge stocks of Canon and Nikon .Olympus is also one of those makes which has a bit of the same problem.

Anyway this is only one point of view....the KM 5D is very very good too.....but think and consider my remarks..they are not that rediculous or are they ?

guillermovilas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 16, 2006, 7:47 AM   #10

norcha wrote:
Quote:
Hei, where did you get KM 7D for such a price in Europe? If it's online store please give me the link.
From

http://www.mediaonline.de/shop/categ...00.12004.12006

Unfortunately I did get the last camera of this offer (I haven't received it yet, but the order has been confirmed). They also had a 7D body + 1GB card for 549€ and a KM5D body for 449€. However, they have still some KM bundle, which they can't sell and where they have to cut the prices in the near future. That applies to KM lenses as well. You only have to be patient and you probably will get even better deals than I got. Another option is Ebay Germany. A new KM 7D body was sold there a few days ago for 479€. However, there a re lots of crooks on Ebay Germany. The prices for the KM 7D are under particular pressure, because those who are still interested in KM are value sensitive buyers, whence theyare primarily interested in the value model, the KM 5D, and not in the luxury model, the KM 7D. Because of this odd behavior the KM 7D more and more becomes the real value model.
kassandro is offline   Reply With Quote