Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > What Camera Should I Buy?

Old Feb 11, 2006, 8:55 PM   #1

So far no one has been able to tell me how an SLR is better for indoor knife photography than an advanced point & shoot, so if you have a reason please tell me why!

I'm looking at these: Canon A620, Panasonic Lumix DMC-FZ20 or 30, Canon G6, and the Digital Rebel SLR. What do you think between these or is there something else you think I should look at?
gfhoward is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Feb 11, 2006, 9:16 PM   #2

Depends on what you mean by "indoor knife photography". Are you are talking about shooting controlled lighting product shots or shot made at a knife show (& anywhere in between)?

Many of the better Prosumer (not necessarily "point & shoots") do very well for most things a DSLR can manage.
Old Feb 12, 2006, 5:34 PM   #3

Well take a look. In the next two posts you will see two photos taken by two cameras under exactly the same conditions: Natural shaded light only. The first photo was taken handheld with a Kodak V-570 in the Macro Scene Mode with everything set to Automatic. The V-570 chose ISO 160 with an exposure of 1/24th at F 3.9. Yes ,I could have put the V-570 on a tripod, but I made the assumption based on Kalyso's post that this might be taken at a Knife Show where a tripod would be impractical.

MT
Attached Images

mtclimber is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 12, 2006, 5:39 PM   #4

Here is the #2 photo. It was taken with an Olympus E-500 equipped with a Zukio 14-54mm lens. I set the ISO to 320 manually. The E-500 chose 1/60th at F 3.5.

Oh, by the way, WB was set on auto for both cameras, but the color selection on the E-500 was set to vivid.

MT
Attached Images

Old Feb 12, 2006, 5:58 PM   #5

Here is photo #3 because I decided to even things up more fairly. This is the Olympus E-500 again, but now I have re-set the ISO to 160 so it would be the same as the Kodak V-570, and re-set the color selection from vivid to natural color.

The E-500 chose 1/60 at F 3.2 for the exposure. You will notice that Photo #1 and Photo #3 resemble each other a lot more now.

MT
Attached Images