Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > What Camera Should I Buy?

Old Feb 11, 2006, 9:12 PM   #1

just found out that you can pick up the pentax *ist dl for $525 with the lens kit.

i purchasedthe fz30 13 days ago and was thinking of exchanging it for the pentax. (i would have to exchange it tomorrow if i do, sunday)

my concern is that i am still not sure if the fz30 is capable of producing images that are even equivilant to an entry level SLR.

i know that i would still have to buy a zoom lens to go with the SLR.

i dont mind paying the extra money.

should i keep the fz30 or jump into an entry level SLR.

thoughts?

lgbalfa is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Feb 11, 2006, 11:33 PM   #2

if you are thinking of making the jump now, you will want to jump to the slr in the near future and by that time I don't think you will have the exchange option, I walked in to a store to buy the FUji s9000 and ended up getting a DSLR( rebel xt) ,I made the jump for an extra $200, good luck to you.
ht770 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 12, 2006, 1:22 AM   #3

The DL will product a cleaner picture then the FZ30 because it has a bigger sensor.

You said you dont mind spending the extra money for the DL. The next question is do you mind carrying around the camera along with othe lense that you might want to buy for the dSLR.

I just upgraded from my Fuji S5200 digital camera to the Pentax DS. Jumping from cheap PnS digital camera to my Fuji, I thought that was a big improvement and I thought it couldnt get any better. I didnt really know what all the fuss about dSLR until I bought one. The DS made my Fuji look and feel like a toy camera. I dont want to knock on my Fuji, but its nothing compaired to the DS.

The DL wont cost you $525 because later one you will end up buying 2 or three more lense for the camera and it can go up to $1,000 total easily.
:lol:
superakuma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 12, 2006, 1:43 AM   #4

how much would a good zoom lens cost?

i see on ebay, tamron's going for just under $200 - i guess thats junk?

what am i looking at to outfit the pentax with something good? $300?, $400? etc.

thanks

Old Feb 12, 2006, 1:51 AM   #5

I have a Fuji S5200 and also the Pentax *ist DS. I think my 70-300 MM zoom lens for the Pentax cost me $150. I know some people think such a lens has to be junk, but I am quite satisfied with the performance of this lens. Others will undoubtecly have different and perhaps higher standards, but I think you can get a quite decent zoom lens for less than $200.
robbo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 12, 2006, 1:17 PM   #6

I bought an FZ30 before Christmas and ended up selling it at a loss to buy a Pentax DS. I'm much happier with the Pentax, and I was the original person who wouldn't consider a dSLR because I didn't want to carry around "all that junk." I've been surprised that it isn't as big of a deal as I remembered! The kit lens is quite nice, and I'm using a 20 year old 80-200 lens for a zoom. The quality of the photos are better, though the Panasonic is quite good for a small sensor camera.
mtngal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 12, 2006, 2:01 PM   #7

why did you sell the FZ30? what didnt you like about it?
Old Feb 12, 2006, 2:29 PM   #8
E.T

lgbsaab wrote:
Quote:
my concern is that i am still not sure if the fz30 is capable of producing images that are even equivilant to an entry level SLR.
That depends on entirely circumstances, in good lightning FZ30 gives same results and has equal versatility as much more expensive and less convenient SLR system. On the other hand SLR gives you ultimate versatility because you can buy later new lenses if you have special needs. And in lower light SLRs give superior results, same goes for focusing and burst speeds.
As one of their negative sides lens mounts are proprietary so unless you'll willing to change also lenses you're stuck in one brand in future. (and design of SLRs is still in film era if you're accustomed to live preview, or capability to taking occasional video clip)

You might want to have some longer zoom lens as general lens if you aren't fond to changing lenses but you would loose some reach from tele...
Personally I wouldn't want to drag many lenses in normal use so something like this one would have acceptable zoom range (with multiplier it gives ~28-300mm) for me, most other general lenses tend to be extremely short on tele... Or then they don't have any kind wide angle, remember that focal length is multiplied with ~1.6. (that causes film era/full frame sensor zoom lenses starting from 28mm to loose wide angle)

And trade off is that longer zoom SLR lenses doesn't have such good optical quality when you compare to dedicated/purposely designed fixed lenses of non-SLRs.

Its performance and specs may not quite match those of typical digital SLRs, but when you consider the superb optical quality of its image-stabilized 12x Leica zoom len, you'd have to pay literally a couple of thousand dollars to match its reach with a SLR body and kit of two or three zoom lenses. (You could certainly match the zoom range for less money than that, but matching the optical quality and image stabilization capability of FZ30's lens would be expensive indeed.)
http://www.imaging-resource.com/PRODS/FZ30/FZ30A13.HTM

So both sides are compromises, it's just what you need/want most and what you're ready to sacrifice.

superakuma wrote:
Quote:
I just upgraded from my Fuji S5200 digital camera to the Pentax DS.* Jumping from cheap PnS digital camera to my Fuji, I thought that was a big improvement and I thought it couldnt get any better....The DS made my Fuji look and feel like a toy camera.
Now is that any wonder because that Fuji is menu surfing point&shoot(/pray) toy.
(Like I've been saying that big zoom number doesn't mean anything considering real features & controls... or lack of them)
E.T is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 13, 2006, 11:06 AM   #9

I originally had a Sony F717, which is/was an excellent camera, with good dynamic range and ability to capture detail. The FZ30, while nice, did not have the dynamic range of the F717 and it bothered me that I would lose detail in the shadows. I also thought that the macro capability was a little lacking unless you get an add-on lens (teleconverter or...). When I went back to look at other current small sensor/fixed lens cameras, it didn't seem like any of them were that much better than the Panasonic.

I did take some very nice travel photos with the Panasonic, and it does do fine in bright light. When I looked at my results at higher ISOs as compared with the Fuji S9000, I didn't see all that much difference. I found it hard to not process out the gains you get from the Leica lens when using Neat Image.

The sensor on the Pentax is that much bigger and with fewer pixels, and that translates into a better picture. I'm a much happier camper now.
mtngal is offline   Reply With Quote