Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > What Camera Should I Buy?

Old Feb 12, 2006, 12:00 AM   #1

Currently I have aMinolta Dimage Z1. I got this camera a few years ago and it was great until I had a baby. It's a great camera, I love the zoom and the continous mode, but it sucks at taking pictures of my always-on-the-go one year old. Most of the shots come out blurry. I have a hard time getting the white dot ( white dot = in focus, red dot = not in focus ). And forget about having someone else take pictures for me. No one can take pictures without me giving a lot of instructions and even then the pictures still can come out bad/blurry. For my daughter's baptism, I had a friend take pictures with this camera and only ONE picture came out clear. Luckily, my sister-in-law also took pictures with her camera ( a Canon I believe ).

So,we're in the market for a new point-and-shoot camera. I went to the local electronic store to check out my options and these are the two that my husband and I like so far: the Canon Powershot SD450 and the Nikon Coolpix L1.

I like the controls on the Nikon better. Husband likes the picture quality better on the Canon, which I would have to agree with him. The zoom in and out button on the Canon bothers me though...We are open to other cameras.

Here's what we need in a camera:
  • must be a point-and-shoot camera[/*]
  • east to use, especially for family/friends/strangers[/*]
  • must have continous mode[/*]
  • must take SD memory cards[/*]
  • compact
[/*]
I noticed with the continous mode on the Nikon, it would only take 3 pictures in a row even though there was still memory left. Is this how it is?

What's the continous mode like on the Canon? Is it like the Nikon, where it will only take 3 pictures?

Thanks.
Brianna is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Feb 12, 2006, 12:08 AM   #2

i have a pentax optio s6 and love it. i also looked the 2 cameras you are looking and after some research purchased the optio and i am glad i did
lgbalfa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 12, 2006, 12:16 AM   #3

lgbsaab,

that is a nice looking camera! Small, sleek, and I like the zoom buttons. May I ask, where did you purchase it? I would love to try it out in a store...any ideas who might carry it? How is the continous mode?
Brianna is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 12, 2006, 12:24 AM   #4

i purchased it from tristatecamera in new york

it does have a continuous mode, but with all tiny cameras - they are not going to be great

pentax is a company that doesnt market much so i wouldnt know where to tell you to go

check out there website - im sure it will list some stores in your area

lgbalfa is offline   Reply With Quote