Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > What Camera Should I Buy?

View Poll Results: My top picks are:
Olympus E-330 3 4.55%
Olympus E-500 9 13.64%
Nikon D50 15 22.73%
Nikon D70s 3 4.55%
Canon Rebel XT 9 13.64%
Canon 20D 11 16.67%
Pentax *ist DL2 5 7.58%
Waiting for Panasonic's DSLR 2 3.03%
Waiting for new announcments this month 6 9.09%
Haven't decided yet !? 3 4.55%
Voters: 66. You may not vote on this poll

Old Feb 19, 2006, 9:09 PM   #91

Idan wrote:
Quote:
Guys you have to see those photos taken with the Olympus E-330, I must say that the colors by any meaning are AWSOME the clarity of those photos are unbelievable. I am looking at photosagain and againand, dammm, those images just pop out from my screen.

It is just that goooodd !

Photo samples CLICK HERE (..*****oll down to the images section)

Give me your opinion guys.
A good part of image quality is subjective. If you find yourself liking the images produced by one camera over the images from another one, but all means, get that camera! My conclusion in my SLR search is that all of the entry level SLRs take photos that are so close in quality that I do not use that as a deciding factor. But, like I said, if one really stands out to you, go for it!
Nizidramanii is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 19, 2006, 9:16 PM   #92

yeh, I know that by now, but please take a look those colors are so vibrant that it seems that compare to other DSLR, Olympus has much more colors :?.

It's like the difference in 32bit and 16bit colors in monitors, LOL, every time I watch those pictures and then going through the samples taken in Steve's Review from the competition, no matter what, Olympus is just much much better inproducing Natural, Vibrant, Pop-out, Dreamy colors and thats A FACT ! (8 people currently in the house :-))

After seeing photos from my father's D70s + 18-70mm Kit at 1600 ISO, I don't want photos taken with that ISO no matter what, but if so E-330 has a better low noise compared to the earlier models (although in this part the D50 rules) . Just imaging Olympus with a bigger CCD .... oh man they know how to make pictures talk !

Plus and dust-buster 2.5" LCD Hyper-Crystalscreen, Live-View, Dual-Slot, great Kit lens, great construction and ergonomics, small etc.. what more can a photographer wants ??

UPDATED: after apllying an unsharp mask to the images, lower the saturation abit - they are twice amazing then before, like real real life pictures, not pictures, this is probably the Live View that Olympus was talking about :lol:Not the LCD Live view?!?

BTW: I've just changed my vote :G

Idan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 19, 2006, 9:52 PM   #93

Idan wrote:
Quote:
First thanks for the reply, But can it be fixed or not ?
Shutters can be replaced, but in terms of cost effectiveness, your better off getting a new camera.

The pictures on the site are nice, but I don't see any direct comparisons to other DSLRS's. High iso performance still looks rather noisy, and they only post one sample pic taken above iso 400. It's a great piece of marketing, but I don't see any compelling reason to buy into their system. Expensive, hard to find lenses, little to no 3rd party lens support, poorer high ISO performance, and no real upgrade path for bodies (entry, enthusiast, prosumer, pro bodies). I admit the live preview is a cool feature but you can't really get any real time exposure info because its using a different sensor (live histogram, the only realy advantage of live preview).

Again, you gotta go handle the camera, see what feels the best and make a commitment. All the entry level cameras are very good.
rjseeney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 19, 2006, 11:18 PM   #94

Idan: IMHO the E-330 is going to be asuperb camera. Don't listen to anyone who knocks the versatility of the live view LCD, or who underrates the self-cleaning sensor system. I've used other brands, but always wind up coming back to Olympus. I think Olympus photos are more natural looking than some other brands, and my Olympus cameras have survived a lot of rugged use and abuse.
Steven R is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 20, 2006, 3:29 AM   #95
Super Moderator

Any DSLR can take photos like that in the hands of a good photographer.

If you like the Olympus then buy one already and put us all out of our misery. :blah:

I hope you'll be half as obsessed about learning how to take better photographs once you finally do get your camera, and don't instead concentrate on testing the equipment, resolution charts and so on.
peripatetic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 20, 2006, 6:03 AM   #96

yeh would be funny if Idan bought his dSLR (finally), then shelved it for no use
audioedge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 20, 2006, 6:52 AM   #97

Funny you say so becuase I am alreadytook photos but with my old Olympus P&S. :blah:
Old Feb 20, 2006, 8:42 AM   #98

Quote:
Don't listen to anyone who knocks the versatility of the live view LCD, or who underrates the self-cleaning sensor system.
I'm not saying it isn't a cool feature and provides a little more versatility, especially when framing at waist level or below. However, in this version, the live preview is not WYSIWYG exposure wise meaning a true live histogram is not possible, which to me is the main advantage of live preview (as well as the framing versatility). Also with the weight of the camera (its going to be heavier than a point and shoot) and long lenses attached, you're not going to want to use the live preview to frame shots anyway, as camera shake will be unavoidable.

I'll get excited about live preview when it comes with antishake and live histogram with the camera.

I'll also be excited when Idan finally buys a camera:blah:.
rjseeney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 20, 2006, 8:59 AM   #99

Guys what do you want from me ? I am a student before exams... soon after I finish my exams I have the time for my hobbies and lots of it. :|
Old Feb 20, 2006, 9:38 AM   #100

For all the people that are interested in Olympus E-330 I have links to a photographer review that took the E-330 for a ride and those are his impressions:

[align=center]Part1
[/align]
[align=center]Part2
[/align]
[align=center]Some more samples here (download slowly cause small images are actually bigger images resized)[/align]

So take a look and decide for yourself if this is a Jackpot as written in the review or not, That is what DIGITAL cameras are all about.

[align=center]update: more intersting E-330 Info and Full-Res images can be foundHERE also and HERE+ A high-Res images of the camera itself[/align]