Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > What Camera Should I Buy?

View Poll Results: My top picks are:
Olympus E-330 3 4.55%
Olympus E-500 9 13.64%
Nikon D50 15 22.73%
Nikon D70s 3 4.55%
Canon Rebel XT 9 13.64%
Canon 20D 11 16.67%
Pentax *ist DL2 5 7.58%
Waiting for Panasonic's DSLR 2 3.03%
Waiting for new announcments this month 6 9.09%
Haven't decided yet !? 3 4.55%
Voters: 66. You may not vote on this poll

Old Feb 21, 2006, 4:01 PM   #141

From reading your post about noise and CCD size I just can't think of a reason Olympus went with the 4/3 CCD, is there any advantages, I mean even one that a smaller ccd will be a solution for any optical issues.
The Rebel XT uses a larger CCD and it is small enough, smaller that that will mean not usable and the size of the lenses is ok fo large range of focal ranges.

If it is the price issue that is really a waste of a good line of cameras.
Idan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 21, 2006, 4:09 PM   #142
Administrator

Idan wrote:
Quote:
From reading your post about noise and CCD size I just can't think of a reason Olympus went with the 4/3 CCD, is there any advantages, I mean even one that a smaller ccd will be a solution for any optical issues.
With a smaller CCD, you can use a shorter focal length lens and get the same angle of view you'd need a longer focal length lens for on a 35mm camera (or a DSLR with a sensor that's larger than Olympus is using).

That means smaller and lighter lenses for any given 35mm equivalent focal length/angle of view.

You'll also have greater depth of field for any given 35mm equivalent focal length and aperture (since you can use a shorter actual focal length lens for the same angle of view/35mm equivalent focal length, and depth of field is computed based on the actual focal length, focus distance and aperture).

This (greater depth of field) can be an advantage or a disadvantage, depending on what you're trying to shoot, and what you want to achieve.

JimC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 21, 2006, 4:12 PM   #143

Is there any bright 35mm (focal)lens for the Nikon mount that cost like the 50mm 1.8D II ?
And is there any lens from Tamron or Sigma that can replace the Nikon D50 kit for a better optical qualities for about the same price or a little bit more ?
Old Feb 21, 2006, 4:17 PM   #144
Administrator

Idan wrote:
Quote:
Is there any birght 35mm lens for the Nikon mount that cost like the 50mm 1.8D II ?
What do you mean by 35mm lens? Do you mean a focal length of 35mm, or a lens designed for a 35mm film camera? The 50mm f/1.8 is designed to be used on a 35mm camera (and you can use it on a Nikon DSLR, too).

If you mean a 35mm focal length, the Nikkor 35mm f/2 AF lens is selliing for around $300.00 new right now:

Nikkor 35mm f/2 (D) Autofocus Lens at B&H

Old Feb 21, 2006, 4:20 PM   #145

If I order a lens in other country through the internet, should I worry about damage caused by shipment ?
Old Feb 21, 2006, 4:25 PM   #146
Administrator

I can't answer that one. Items can be damaged in shipping, even within the same country. As a general rule, most major vendors pack items well. But, that may not stop a delivery person from using your camera or lens package as a football.

I see that you're in Israel from your profile. Some U.S. vendors like B&H will ship overseas. You may want to insure anything you buy, in case it is lost or damaged (you'll see different shipping options when you make a purchase).

You'll also want to take any duties and tariffs into consideration. It could end up costing you a lot more than meets the eye, if customs checks it, depending on your your country's import tariffs, duties and taxes.

Old Feb 21, 2006, 4:31 PM   #147

JimC What do you think about the Olympus E-seires and the new E-330 camera from your point of view, considering the Live-View mode, all digital DSLR, Kit lens etc..

[align=center]Let us know and help others to decide[/align]
[align=center]VOTE NOW ![/align]
Old Feb 21, 2006, 4:37 PM   #148
Administrator

Idan wrote:
Quote:
JimC What do you think about the Olympus E-seires and the new E-330 camera from your point of view, considering the Live-View mode, all digital DSLR, Kit lens etc..
I have not formed an opinion of the new E330 yet.

But, I wouldn't buy into the 4/3's system because of lens choice/cost, even if it was superior to other makes for the type of shooting I want to do.

I thought about it a while back when the price drops hit on the E-1 after the newer models were introduced. T he E-1 is a professional grade of camera (weather proofing, better build quality), and is only packing 5 million photosites into it's sensor (although noise levels are still higher than competing DSLR models).

But, lens choice/cost was too big of a factor, and I decided to avoid the 4/3's lineup for my needs.

For some others, it may be just right.

You'll need to decide what's best for your needs.

Old Feb 21, 2006, 4:38 PM   #149

Idan wrote:
Quote:
Is there any bright 35mm (focal)lens for the Nikon mount that cost like the 50mm 1.8D II ?
And is there any lens from Tamron or Sigma that can replace the Nikon D50 kit for a better optical qualities for about the same price or a little bit more ?
As I've said in many posts, the kit lenses are a solid, if unremarkable, performer. Any consumer grade lens is going to have some compromises....slower, poorer build quality, etc. For the cost, I don't think any of the 3rd party lenses are a significant upgrade (or any kind of upgrade) over the kit lens. The two lens kit adds about $300 to the cost of the body....there is nothing in that price range that I would go out of my way to buy. For the most part, you get what you pay for with lenses regardless of who makes it....but most of the optical shortcomings of these lenses are only noticable to the trained eye or at large print sizes. Sure you may find some issues when viewing images at 100% on your monitor, but this would be like looking at a huge 3 foot wide print. These kit lenses are also likely to have better resale value in the future if your looking to trade up.
rjseeney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 21, 2006, 4:42 PM   #150

Does the Nikon D50 has a battery grip ?