Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > What Camera Should I Buy?

View Poll Results: My top picks are:
Olympus E-330 3 4.55%
Olympus E-500 9 13.64%
Nikon D50 15 22.73%
Nikon D70s 3 4.55%
Canon Rebel XT 9 13.64%
Canon 20D 11 16.67%
Pentax *ist DL2 5 7.58%
Waiting for Panasonic's DSLR 2 3.03%
Waiting for new announcments this month 6 9.09%
Haven't decided yet !? 3 4.55%
Voters: 66. You may not vote on this poll

Old Feb 15, 2006, 10:22 AM   #11

What retail stores sell the KM 5D? I'd like to feel and use the camera a little bit before I decide on buying one.
Nizidramanii is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 15, 2006, 10:33 AM   #12
Administrator

Most of the reputable internet vendors in the U.S. have sold out of the 5D now (since most use the same distributors, which apparently ran out). I'm making an assumption that you're in the U.S. (but your profile doesn't show your location and we have members here from all over the world).

If you're in the U.S., you may be able to find them at a local Circuit City or Ritz (a.k.a., Wolf) Camera. These guys still show stock in their online stores.

JimC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 15, 2006, 10:50 AM   #13

The local fry electronics in california have both the 5D and 7D models of KM.
bobbyz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 15, 2006, 10:52 AM   #14

Idan wrote:
Quote:
Do you think the price of the Rebel XT will drop down after the announce of the new Canon DSLR this month ?

And Terry what do you like about the Rebel XT - I've heard that the kit lens is just horrible, is it right ??
The replacement most probably going to be for 20D so shouldn't effect XT that much but I would still wait as it is less than 7 days aways or so.

Bad kit lens doesn't mean camera is a bad. Personally I don't like feel of XT & prefer 20D but XT is very capable camera. Just put some good glass on anything you buy.

bobbyz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 15, 2006, 11:23 AM   #15
Super Moderator

Quote:
The kit lens is pure JUNK!
Compared to what? And according to which criteria - resolution, contrast, build quality, distortion, chromatic aberration?

I think this blanket dismissal is rather misleading in many respects, so some clarification on exactly what you mean would be nice.

peripatetic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 15, 2006, 11:57 AM   #16

How does the kit lens of the Nikon D50 compares to the kit lens of the Canon Rebel XT ? Please suggest alterntive lenses for each, if needed.

[align=center]And don't forget to VOTE ![/align]
Idan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 15, 2006, 12:37 PM   #17
Administrator

Idan wrote:
Quote:
How does the kit lens of the Nikon D50 compares to the kit lens of the Canon Rebel XT ? Please suggest alterntive lenses for each, if needed.
If you look at the sample photos section in the Nikon D50 review here, you'll see side by side comparison photos with it's kit lens, and photos from the Digital Rebel XT using it's kit lens (scroll down to the bottom and you'll see them):

http://www.steves-digicams.com/2005_...0_samples.html

As for alternative lenses, it depends on how you want to use a camera.

The kit lenses you see shipping with these cameras are designed to be small, light, inexpensive, with a focal range most users would need more often (given the angle of view differences you have with lenses when used on DSLR models with sensors smaller than 35mm film).

That's all many people will ever need (the kit lenses), just like many users never bought anything more than a light weight 35-70mm lens with their 35mm cameras.

Are most kit lenses as sharp as the latest and great f/2.8 zooms at equivalent apertures? Probably not. You may need to be stopped down a bit more for best results. Ditto for Build Quality (but they are lighter than many lenses, too). There are always tradeoffs.

We're talking very inexpensive lenses here. Not everyone wants to lug around larger and heavier lenses, either; and not everyone needs brighter, longer or sharper lenses. The kit lenses are not designed to be "top of the line". That's why they are a fraction of the cost of some other lenses.

That doesn't mean that they're bad for their intended use (small, light weight, inexpensive, general purpose lens).

Quality is subjective, and not everyone has the same requirements in a lens.

Old Feb 15, 2006, 12:49 PM   #18

Do your personaly prefer the Nikon D50 or the Canon Rebel XT ? I have a really hard time choosing between those two. Please advise wisely. :idea:
Idan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 15, 2006, 1:05 PM   #19
Administrator

Take any opinion with a grain of salt, including mine.

What one user may like, another may not, and each user will have different preferences in a camera. Ditto for preferences in the way images look (sharpness, contrast, saturation, etc.). But, you can adjust some of these parameters more to your liking via camera menu options (or shoot raw and choose from a variety of tools to process the data from the sensor without any in camera image processing).

You're really getting into "splitting hairs" with most of these models as far as image quality goes. All of them are capable of producing great images.

Your skill as a photographer is far more important compared to the differences in these cameras, and you'll need some experience with the camera you choose in order to better understand it's behavior and get the best from it.

Ditto for what your lens needs may be. If you have little experience with photography, I wouldn't rush out and spend a lot of money on lenses until you have a better understanding of your needs. That will come with experience.

Sure, get some opinions, read the reviews, and look at the sample photos from them.

But, at the same time, make sure you're comfortable with the camera you choose. Try them out in a store. Check out ergonomics, control layout, menus, viewfinder, speed of operation, etc.

Not everyone is going to like the same things and you're the one that will need to live with your decision (at least until you're ready to upgrade).

If you have no investment in lenses, your choice is wide open.

Manufacturers also tend to "leapfrog" each other from time to time. That doesn't mean your existing camera is going to stop taking good photos if a competitor comes out with a supposedly better model later.

No one camera is going to be perfect for all users in all conditions (and they don't need to be either as you'll run into limitations with any camera model).

Don't get caught up too much in the analysis part, once you have a basic understanding of the differences. Go to a store and see what "feels right" to you.

P.S.

You asked members to vote for a camera, without any idea of how you'll be using one, too. Some of these models are better suited for low light compared to others. But, all of them are capable of taking pretty darn good photos in most conditions (and all of them will have limitations in some conditions, no matter what you do for lenses, etc.).

No camera is perfect.

Old Feb 15, 2006, 1:42 PM   #20

Idan wrote:
Quote:
Do your personaly prefer the Nikon D50 or the Canon Rebel XT ? I have a really hard time choosing between those two. Please advise wisely. :idea:
That depends on who you ask....a Nikon shooter will likely say the D50 and a Canon user will say the Rebel XT. I see you've made a lot of posts and asked a lot of questions as to which camera you should buy. I think you are overanalyzing, thinking too much and driving yourself crazy:?. The truth is, any entry level DSLR will yield great images. Even equipped with the lowliest lens, these DSLR will outperform even the top prosumer point and shoots, especially at low light levels and higher iso's (as long as they are properly used:!. At this stage of the game, a person making the move to DSLR, without a current arsenal of lenses leftover from film, should buy whatever feels the best and is easiest to use for that person. Only you can decide that. Go out, handle, feel, touch, taste and smell all the cameras you can. Which ever feels the best and easiest to handle will be the right choice. None of these cameras are bad, and what is right for one may not be right for someone else.
rjseeney is offline   Reply With Quote