Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > What Camera Should I Buy?

View Poll Results: My top picks are:
Olympus E-330 3 4.55%
Olympus E-500 9 13.64%
Nikon D50 15 22.73%
Nikon D70s 3 4.55%
Canon Rebel XT 9 13.64%
Canon 20D 11 16.67%
Pentax *ist DL2 5 7.58%
Waiting for Panasonic's DSLR 2 3.03%
Waiting for new announcments this month 6 9.09%
Haven't decided yet !? 3 4.55%
Voters: 66. You may not vote on this poll

Old Feb 15, 2006, 7:10 PM   #31

Personally, for the kind of shooting I do, I'd get a KM 7D (since they now cost under $1000.00....
Old Feb 15, 2006, 7:12 PM   #32

Kalypso wrote:
Quote:
Personally, for the kind of shooting I do, I'd get a KM 7D (since they now cost under $1000.00....
So you don't tihnk it's a little bit risky ? Do you plan on getting a sony DSLR in the future ?
Idan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 15, 2006, 7:18 PM   #33
Administrator

Idan wrote:
Quote:
I am giving you a great respect for your knowledge and wanted to hear you opinion about Olymous DSLR cameras, what do you think about the 4/3 system and do you think the E-330 (Olympus' new DSLR) will deliver the good ?

I've seen amazing photos from Olymous E-series cameras and the colors of those photos are truely awsome.
Yep... I deliberately avoided those questions. ;-)

Look, I'm just a moderator. That doesn't make my opinion any better or worse than other forum members here. You'll find lots of forum members with more experience than I have.

Again, take any opinion you get with a grain of salt, including mine. We all have preferences in a camera, and we all have different requirements (or perceived requirments).

Since I like low light photography, I'd pass on Olympus. Their DSLR models seem to have a stop or so disadvantage compared to the best from Nikon, KM and Canon.

I have not yet formed an opinon of the new E-330.

Until it was released, for my use (and my wants/needs are going to differ from everyone elses), I'd get an E-1 over the newer models (better build quality, weather proofing, and lower noise compared to the higher resolution sensors). Also, a big downside (to me anyway) is thehigh cost and limited availability of lenses in this mount (although that's slowly improving).

But, that's only my opinion, and image quality is very subjective. Metering, and Dynamic range have reportedly improved on the newer Olympus models. But, low light performance is just too important to me, and they are not a good fit for my needs. For someone elses needs, they're probably great.

Each user's preferences in a camera are going to differ. Don't go by my opinion (or anyone elses). Look at the cameras, read the reviews, look at the samples, and decide how you'll use one more often. Then, try out the cameras in a store and form your own opinon on what model fits you best. We're all different.

JimC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 15, 2006, 7:23 PM   #34

What I ment is that your read many users opinions and have a general good knowledge about people opinions thats all.

So as far as I can tell I will narrow my decisions to Canon & Nikon, so far so good. Tell me can I skip the DOF preview button without any problems ?
Old Feb 15, 2006, 7:24 PM   #35
Administrator

Idan wrote:
Quote:
Kalypso wrote:
Quote:
So you don't tihnk it's a little bit risky ? Do you plan on getting a sony DSLR in the future ?

Why is it risky? It's not like KM went "belly up". They're still in business (even if you won't see any more KM branded cameras). Sony will be taking over warranty work. But, so what. You're entitled to repairs if needed and I don't think either Sony or KM want to tarnish their reputation by skimping on service.

As for future DSLR models, you're not locked in to Sony if you decide you want another brand later on. Sell and switch. That's all.

I don't think you'll have a problem with the marketability of any lenses you buy if you get them priced right (especially when KM and Sony gear up for increased production of cameras using this lens mount under the Sony brand name.

Nobody has a crystal ball. Will Sony have better technology next year or will Canon, or Nikon? Does it really matter? How often are you going to upgrade? Cross that bridge when you come to it, when you have a genuine need to upgrade.

Old Feb 15, 2006, 7:30 PM   #36

Do you know where I can watch photos from the 50mm prime lens from either Nikon or Canon on the web ?
Old Feb 15, 2006, 7:34 PM   #37
Administrator

Look at http://www.pbase.com/cameras

Pick a camera model and you'll find lots of photos. You can also search by lens (but, sometimes lenses are not databased well for viewing photos).

Again, they're all good lenses. You won't find a "bad" 50mm prime from any major manufacturer.

Also, the lighting, subject and photographer's skill (not to mentiion any post processing they performed on the images) play a larger role in the quality of the images compared to the differences in these camera bodies and lenses.

Old Feb 15, 2006, 8:23 PM   #38

Does a CF or SD usage in the camera has any influnce over your choice ?

[align=center]Let us know and help others to decide. VOTE NOW ![/align]
Old Feb 15, 2006, 8:45 PM   #39
Administrator

Idan wrote:
Quote:
Does a CF or SD usage in the camera has any influnce over your choice ?
Not mine.

CF is often preferred because it's been around longer and more DSLR models use thie format.

Because it's physically larger, it seems to reason that adding capacity would be easier and less expensive, too (since you don't need to have as much density for equivalent storage with CF's larger form factor).

But, SD is gaining in popularity, and memory prices are going down. So, I personally wouldn't let memory type alone be a deciding factor.

Even if you've got an investment in one memory type versus another, prices have come down so much lately, who cares (you can buy a lot more storage for less now, and that old memory some users bought isn't really worth much anymore).

Ditto for when you're ready to upgrade later. Chances are, you'll be able to get a lot more "bang for the buck" by the time yoiu're ready to upgrade, even if the model you choose uses a different memory type (and you'll probably want larger and faster cards for any newer model you upgrade to by the time you need an upgrade).

Old Feb 16, 2006, 9:47 AM   #40

What about waranties from different companies ? Isthere any significant between them ?