Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > What Camera Should I Buy?

View Poll Results: My top picks are:
Olympus E-330 3 4.55%
Olympus E-500 9 13.64%
Nikon D50 15 22.73%
Nikon D70s 3 4.55%
Canon Rebel XT 9 13.64%
Canon 20D 11 16.67%
Pentax *ist DL2 5 7.58%
Waiting for Panasonic's DSLR 2 3.03%
Waiting for new announcments this month 6 9.09%
Haven't decided yet !? 3 4.55%
Voters: 66. You may not vote on this poll

Old Feb 16, 2006, 7:36 PM   #61

JimC wrote:
Quote:
You're over analyzing. ;-)

Did you go down to a store yet and actually try out some of the cameras, look at some of the lenses to see differences between them, etc.? That would be a good next step.

I've opened this post for people like me that probably have the same questions like me and wanting some answers for them.

For your other question, Yes I did try the Nikon D50 and the Rebel XT and found that the D50 is more suited for me then the Rebel one, and after all, How can I get my knowledge without asking (st**id:?) questions.

[align=center]Let us know and help others to decide. VOTE NOW !
[/align]
Idan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 16, 2006, 7:42 PM   #62

Do you use P&S (point-and-shoot) cameras in some situations that your DSLR can't provide the answer?
Old Feb 16, 2006, 7:45 PM   #63
Administrator

OK. My apologies. The only stupid question is the one that you don't ask.

But, you'll have to admit that you're asking a lot of questions. ;-)

Also, as previously pointed out, you're getting opinions. That doesn't mean that the answers are going to be right, for your needs.

Each user is going to have preferences in cameras, lenses, etc., and most opinions are going to be biased, including mine.

So, take them with a grain of salt. You'll need to decide what's best for you. But, from my perspective, you probably don't have the experience level to make good decisions on what's best for you yet, based on the types of questions you're asking.

That's OK. I'm only trying to save you some headaches. All too often, a new user goes out and buys a bunch of lenses, only to find out that they need something different later.

So, I'd urge you not to spend a lot of money, until you get a better idea of where you see limitations with the equipment you buy (sticking with a basic lens or two to start out with).

JimC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 16, 2006, 7:55 PM   #64

Agreed on that, and I must tell you that I've gained allot of theoretical knowledge just by posting and reading other users comments through out this great forum on this great web site.

I am planning to buy my new (1st) DSLR as soon as I finish my degree tests on the 27.2. I like to be creative and I like to have a hobby that I can share with so many people around the globe, that's amazing thing to have as a human being,

I also have knowledge in graphics editing software and want to share (soon enough) my creations and experience with all of you guys. For me talking to you is like getting new friends with a common hobby/profession.

Probably my future posts will be about operation and manual controls and some other (still not known) interesting stuff.

Thanks everyone.

Old Feb 16, 2006, 8:19 PM   #65

I've decided that the best deal for me will probably be:

Nikon D50 + 18-55mm Kit lens + Nikon 50mm 1.8D II

What do you say ?

What SD card would you suggest to fit in ?

( Will I'll be a Nikonian? Time will tell )
Old Feb 16, 2006, 8:34 PM   #66
Administrator

That sounds like a good plan to me.

Your best "bang for the buck" in an SD card is probably something like a Sandisk Ultra II.

The Extreme III is faster, but you may not need the speed and the latest and greatest cards typically cost a bit more.

Many cards on the market would probably work fine in it. But, make sure you don't use anything with a capacity greater than 2GB.

It's my understanding that the D50 is not compatiblle with cards in excess of 2GB in size at this time (even though you can buy some that are larger now).

You may want to ask in the Nikon DSLR Forum to see what other users have found works best.

You'll probably find the Lexar and Sandisk cards to be popular choices.

There are a lot of different cards on the market now, and sometimes one may work better in one camera versus another, even though the opposite may be the case in a different camera model.

You can't really go by rated speeds alone, as the way a camera interfaces with a given card will impact performance and compatibility (what may be the fastest card in one camera may be one of the slowest in another).

JimC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 16, 2006, 8:39 PM   #67

I use the Sandisk ultra 2 with my D50 and it fills all the needs. I also have some regular sandisk cards which also work well...I have never encountered a situation where it was too slow. The cameras buffer is fairly large and you'd have to shoot a bunch of continous shots to hit the slowdown point where the speed of the card matters.

Also, if you're looking to add a little more reach to your set up, the 80-200 is a great inexpensive lens...it can be had for around $100USD from KEH.
rjseeney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 17, 2006, 2:42 AM   #68

rjseeney wrote:
Quote:
Also, if you're looking to add a little more reach to your set up, the 80-200 is a great inexpensive lens...it can be had for around $100USD from KEH.
You mean Nikon's 80-200 or other manufacture ?
Old Feb 17, 2006, 3:00 AM   #69

I've read about the Olymous E-330 (CLICK HERE) and it sounds really promising with all the latest technologies, does it improves picture quality as well ?

If the high ISO performance will be much better from the E-500 (like the D-50) will you consider buying it ?

Have some E-330 Samples here (look at the colors, aren't they rendered perfectlly ?:shock

But it looks somewhat artificial, I reduced the saturation for some of the photos and they looked more natural then the original, does it say something of the color processing in the camera maybe over staurated colors, maybe they where extra sturated after being taken ir it was caused by the built in UV filter ??

Can someone respond to this ?
Old Feb 17, 2006, 6:44 AM   #70

My other question is does P&S Ulra-zoom cameras suffer from distortions like the cheap DSLR lenses ?