Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > What Camera Should I Buy?

Old Feb 15, 2006, 5:43 PM   #1

I will like it to do indoor nice pics of kids, what camera you recomend me?

thanks a lot.
Marimar is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Feb 15, 2006, 6:13 PM   #2

Marimar-

Please help us to get a better idea of your needs. Are you asking about a low light levelshooting situation, where flash will not be used, so that you can obtain candid children's photos?

MT
mtclimber is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 16, 2006, 9:05 AM   #3

THANKS!

No idea about cameras, I just want a camera with a very good photo quallity indoors, I have hade the canonG2 I never liked, I have the minoltag5

I see the pics of the Minolta 5d and pentax and i love it, but i like the sony because its smaller, i dont know how the quallity pic is, thanks again gracias.
Old Feb 16, 2006, 10:07 AM   #4

You have not really specified how large or how heavy a camera you want, nor what you can spend.

For shooting primarily indoors, you want a camera with a "bright" lens (without getting technical it captures more light ... and the lens glasshasa large diameter)as well asa way to connect an external flash (built-in flashes are not very good and cause red-eye because they are so close to the lens).

A good camera, but one that is heavy-ish, rather large, and can take an external flash (but is also expensive) is the outstanding Sony R1, which works very well outside, too. Small cameras with tiny lenses often do not do as well indoors as they do outdoors.

However, there are several others, including the superseded DSC-F828 and, ifit were still available, the 3.2 megapixel Sony DSC-S70 which was an outstanding indoor shooter. And of course there are the entry level dSLR cameras, starting as low as $500 (the Pentax *ist DL, Megapixel, SLR, Digital Camera)

Personally, for what you seem to be looking for I like the Sony R1 - grab it and shoot in an instant, or set it manually. [BTW, I prefer (in the non-dSLR category), own,and use the older DSC-F828 because it also has decent video abilities in a pinch, but it is no longer being produced.] I have handled and shot the R1 - it is excellent and would do what you want.
hgernhardtjr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 17, 2006, 10:28 AM   #5

Not very big, and I have a pocket one is the minoltag5 good enught .

is the pentax huge? im really interested on that camera, i think it does beautiful pics.

thanks
Old Feb 18, 2006, 10:40 AM   #6

The *istDL is a dSLR -- a bit smaller than a regular 35mm SLR, but much lighter. It is not pocket size.But it is compatible with many "Pentax mount" accessories.

You can read about the istDS2 (similar to the DL) here http://www.steves-digicams.com/2005_reviews/istds2.html or read a review of the DL here: http://www.dpreview.com/news/0506/05...entaxistdl.asp

A great entry-level dSLR!
hgernhardtjr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 18, 2006, 7:19 PM   #7
Administrator

Marimar wrote:
Quote:
Not very big, and I have a pocket one is the minoltag5 good enught .
What Minolta model? Is it the G500?

If so, I can offer a few tips that may help out. I've owned a Konica Revio KD-510z (which is the same camera as the Minolta DiMAGE G500) since mid-July 2003, and it goes with me everywhere in my pants pocket.

Redeye can be bad, but you can get around it's other limitations easily by making some settings changes and usage adjustments.

It's not going to let you capture shots of kids indoors without a flash. But, you can certainly speed up it's operation and reduce problems you have with it via available settings. I really like these little cameras.

If you're trying to take photos of the kids indoors without a flash, you'll need a different camera for sure.

JimC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 19, 2006, 12:33 AM   #8

Hi everyone

I'm looking for a camera for the family, preferably with a 12 times optical zoom. Something taht would be good for family photos both indoors and out. I was thinking of buying a Canon camera but there's just too many to chose from..

What would you reccomend?

Thanks
xxveronicaxx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 19, 2006, 6:15 AM   #9

xxxx,

I would recommend starting your own thread, and not highjacking someone else's.

the Hun

rinniethehun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 19, 2006, 8:42 AM   #10

Hi and thanks i got on mind the pentax it haves a good bargain.

Jim i have the Konica Minolta g500 I like it, but I wanted something else good pic quallity professional.

The g500 its good for pocket but i like srl to.